Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State of the team next year?

State of the team next year?

I know it's still early in the season but it's something worth looking at and discussing.

After this year these are the guys that we have signed (all dollar values are in millions):

Joey Votto ($12)
    Brandon Phillips ($11)
    Jay Bruce ($10.04)
    Johnny Cueto ($10)
    Aroldis Chapman ($5.7)
    Sean Marshall ($5.5)
    Mat Latos ($7.25)
    Jonathan Broxton ($7)
    Ryan Ludwick ($8.5)
    Jack Hannahan ($1)
    Logan Ondrusek ($1.35)

Unsigned, eligible for arbitration:

Homer Bailey (Arb 3, $5.35 currently)
    Mike Leake (Arb 2, $3.06 currently)
    Ryan Hannigan (Arb 3, $2.35 currently)
    Chris Heisey (Arb 2, $1.32 currently)
    Simon Alfredo (Arb 2, $0.89 currently)
    Sam LeCure (Arb 1, $0.51 currently)
    Xavier Paul (Arb 2, $0.5 currently)

Unsigned, we own their rights:

Cesar Izturis ($0.8 currently)
    Zack Cozart ($0.52 currently)
    Todd Frazier ($0.52 currently)
    Devin Mesoraco ($0.49 currently)
    JJ Hoover ($0.49 currently)
    Jose Arredondo ($1.2 currently)

Free Agents:

Bronson Arroyo ($16.44 currently)
    Choo, Shin-Soo ($7.37 currently)
    Nick Masset ($3.1 currently)
    Manny Parra ($1 currently)
    So next year our total signed salary is $79.34 (million) and we're spending a total of $106.85 (million) this year. So if we assume that we have about $40 million to wiggle with do you see any significant signings and/or moves this season, this winter or next year?

I think the biggest question mark will be whether or not to bring Arroyo back, and maybe moving Leake. I know that Chapman wants to be a starter, and Cingrani has been filthy this far in his career. That's a big number (Arroyo) coming off the books and leaves us some wiggle room financially.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: State of the team next year?

My first thought is that Joey Votto for $12 is a serious bargain. I spend more than that at Skyline for meals sometimes.

For me, it will be interesting to see what happens with Arroyo. Does he want to finish his career as a Red? Does management have any interest in signing him if the price is reasonable? Or is management ready to move Leake into Arroyo's slot and bring up a Cingrani or someone else?

Bailey didn't want a multi-year this year. Either he thought he was going to have a great year and wanted to be able to charge more for 2014. Or he wants to keep his options open. One more arb and he's a free agent. Is he going to bolt for Texas? Will the Reds need to start looking to replace him or trade him?

Also curious when the new TV negotiations begin. They could really affect a lot of this.

I'd really love to sign Choo.

That's all for now.

One thing is for sure.

They'll all be a year older

5. Likes:

JB12 (04-22-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (04-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    One thing is for sure.

They'll all be a year older
    If they are from Latin America they may be a couple of years older!

Izturis is a Free Agent after this season by my findings. Could be the least active offseason in a long time and still a productive one. Just taking guys under control for next season the Reds would be short only 3 spots for a 25 man roster. Those all 3 could be filled within adequately and cheaply. Hopefully leaving some money to extend some of the SP.

Starting CF- presumably Hamilton
    Backup IF- could be Henry Rodriguez
    Starting Pitcher-- Cingrani

Guys already under control next season;

C Hanigan
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    LF Ludwick
    CF
    RF Bruce

SP Cueto
    SP Latos
    SP Bailey
    SP Leake
    SP
    RP Chapman
    RP Broxton
    RP Marshall
    RP Ondrusek
    RP Hoover
    RP Simon
    RP Lecure

Bench

Mesoraco
    Heisey
    Paul
    Hannahan
    _________

I'm not ready to count on Ludwick. I really don't think that he's going to be a great contributor next year, or this year. I'd prefer to splurge a bit for a top end LFer to be honest (if available).

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I know that Chapman wants to be a starter
    Where did you hear this? I heard the opposite... he likes being a closer.

If we are optimistic and assume that Cingrani is going to be able to be a ML starter next year, it raises a bit of a quandry. Do you extend Arroyo a year or two or keep Leake?

Or do you keep both of them and just try to work Cingrani in later in the season?

I guess the majority of people would favor lettting Arroyo walk due to his salary.
    I'm a bigger fan of Leake than most on this board, but if I had to take a bet right now, Arroyo might be more solid in 2014 than Leake.. Is it worth the extra cash for that upgrade? Hard to say.

Leake would be a nice trading chip though, if they decide to keep Arroyo.

Heck, offering Arroyo the 13.3 million one year arb deal (in order to get draft compensation ) might not be the craziest thing in the world. If Arroyo accepts for one year (assuming 2013 is a good year), it wouldn't be bad to have him just one more year. Honestly though, I think Arroyo is underrated here and would be able to get a multiyear FA deal from someone.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I'd prefer to splurge a bit for a top end LFer to be honest (if available).
    I'll go get you a towel.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I'm not ready to count on Ludwick. I really don't think that he's going to be a great contributor next year, or this year. I'd prefer to splurge a bit for a top end LFer to be honest (if available).
    "Splurge" Then make Ludwick the backup... of course he's getting paid $7.5M next year too.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "Splurge" Then make Ludwick the backup... of course he's getting paid $7.5M next year too.
    I'm aware but with Arroyo coming off the books we could afford it. I have a feeling he's not going to be putting up close to what he did last year again -- especially after his surgery.

Get a good left fielder (or extend Choo to play in left field if Hamilton comes up) and have Ludwick as a bat off the bench. Bring Cingrani into the rotation, or Chapman if he's ready and willing. We have options. JJ Hoover was also supposed to be a starter.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

JJ Hoover was also supposed to be a starter.
    Now your traveling into dangerous territory.

I wish they'd develop him at Louisville as a starter. He had good success in the Braves organization as a starter.

His value would skyrocket if he turned into a stud starter.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If we are optimistic and assume that Cingrani is going to be able to be a ML starter next year, it raises a bit of a quandry. Do you extend Arroyo a year or two or keep Leake?

Or do you keep both of them and just try to work Cingrani in later in the season?

I guess the majority of people would favor lettting Arroyo walk due to his salary.
    I'm a bigger fan of Leake than most on this board, but if I had to take a bet right now, Arroyo might be more solid in 2014 than Leake.. Is it worth the extra cash for that upgrade? Hard to say.

Leake would be a nice trading chip though, if they decide to keep Arroyo.

Heck, offering Arroyo the 13.3 million one year arb deal (in order to get draft compensation ) might not be the craziest thing in the world. If Arroyo accepts for one year (assuming 2013 is a good year), it wouldn't be bad to have him just one more year. Honestly though, I think Arroyo is underrated here and would be able to get a multiyear FA deal from someone.
    Interesting question. Will Arroyo definitely make more in 2014 than Leake? Leake will be 2nd year arb-eligible and Arroyo will be 37 years old. Despite his initial protest after arriving, he seems to love playing for Cincinnati and presumably wants to pitch for a contender in the twilight of his career. Unless Boston or the Yankees offer him a large deal, maybe he is willing to come back on a one year deal for less than $10MM. If so, I'd consider doing that and shipping Leake to San Diego for Austin Hedges and Will Venable (assuming Max Fried is untouchable).

Actually, I'd see what Leake would make in 2014, then offer Arroyo the exact same salary. If he takes it, trade Leake. If he doesn't, let him walk. From a performance standpoint, I'd project them both very similarly for 2014, and I believe Leake has trade value (whereas Bronson is a FA).
    Go BLUE!!!

Quick reaction-
    State of the Team Next Year? Ohio. Duh.

The rest of it will interesting to see.
    Big Issues to watch-
    1. Play of Choo in CF
    2. BHam's bat in AAA
    3. State of Ludwick's shoulder
    4. Leake and Cingrani's performance
    5. Will Arroyo return and at what price?
    6. Cozart's bat.
    Last edited by klw; 04-12-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Interesting question. Will Arroyo definitely make more in 2014 than Leake? Leake will be 2nd year arb-eligible and Arroyo will be 37 years old. Despite his initial protest after arriving, he seems to love playing for Cincinnati and presumably wants to pitch for a contender in the twilight of his career. Unless Boston or the Yankees offer him a large deal, maybe he is willing to come back on a one year deal for less than $10MM. If so, I'd consider doing that and shipping Leake to San Diego for Austin Hedges and Will Venable (assuming Max Fried is untouchable).

Actually, I'd see what Leake would make in 2014, then offer Arroyo the exact same salary. If he takes it, trade Leake. If he doesn't, let him walk. From a performance standpoint, I'd project them both very similarly for 2014, and I believe Leake has trade value (whereas Bronson is a FA).
    So here is how I would approach this offseason:

1. Offer Shin Soo-Choo a 3 year, $40MM contract during the season. If he turns it down, make him a qualifying offer and let him walk, inheriting the draft pick.

2. If Choo signs, let Arroyo walk.
    3. If Choo walks, offer Arroyo <$10MM on a one year deal. If he takes it, trade Leake to SD for Venable and Hedges. If he doesn't, keep Leake.

So either you have:

CF Hamilton
    LF Choo OR Venable
    1B Votto
    3B Frazier
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    C Mesigan
    SS Cozart

SP Latos
    SP Cueto
    SP Bailey
    SP Leake OR Arroyo
    SP Cingrani
    CL Chapman

OR (annoying the rest of Redszone alert):

1. Re-sign Choo.
    2. Trade Hamilton, Chapman, Corcino and Ludwick for Giancarlo Stanton.
    3. Let Arroyo walk.

CF Choo
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    LF Stanton
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    C Mesigan
    SS Cozart

SP Latos
    SP Cueto
    SP Bailey