Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports illustrated Website?

Sports illustrated Website?

Why did they change their format? Does anyone else find the new website poorly designed? I do not understand why they changed.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Likes:

westofyou (07-18-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sports illustrated Website?

What is it that you don't like about it?

It involves a lot of herky-jerky scrolling to see the various stories and features because of all of the unnecessary photographs. My computer isn't slow, but it took an unusually a long time to open a story by Tom Verducci.

I preferred the old format, but maybe that is just me.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

It's very tablet oriented. Most sites are going that way it seems.

Also relies on a buttload of network bandwidth.

Pay attention to the open sky

what Roy said, freaking content is offered up in a big network cloggging manner, plus they screwed with the archived issues part of the site and it too is less user friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    It involves a lot of herky-jerky scrolling to see the various stories and features because of all of the unnecessary photographs. My computer isn't slow, but it took an unusually a long time to open a story by Tom Verducci.

I'm not having any such issues. Granted I have a very fast computer and plenty of resolution on the screen, so maybe that's why.

Reminds me of a geocities site in the 90's, throw as many animations on the screen as you can.
    Go Gators!

It's not just you.

I used to go there multiple times daily, but now may go days without checking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    It's very tablet oriented. Most sites are going that way it seems.

Also relies on a buttload of network bandwidth.
    The funny thing about that is I hate it on my ipad. The site is okay on my desktop but the photos seem to be overkill. Even with my fiberoptic connection the site is sluggish.

Tried it again just now. Not having an issues with the pictures being slow to load, or anything else. Am I The Highlander?

It's not just load time, it's the giant font, thin reading margins require scrolling, huge images, videos that load automatically, some links on SI's site cross over to other properties like Time (within the same window without telling the user they are leaving the site they are on)

It's overkill, the IA work is all forward looking and doesn't lean on the tried and true, it's a mess as far as I'm concerned.

14. Likes:

Spitball (07-20-2014)

It stinks.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

16. Likes:

Spitball (07-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    It stinks.
    Name:  the-critic-it-stinks-hainan-airlines-630-620x413.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  57.4 KB

I have the same issues with the site. It was a go-to site for me for a number of years, now I hardly bother with it anymore.

19. Likes:

Spitball (07-30-2014)

The new trend seems to be getting away from grid based layouts and into more Pinterest like tile designs and other modern responsive website designs. That's not a bad thing, but I don't like it for the SI site. For some sites the tile layout works, for a sports site with that much information it makes SI's front page look disorganized and and crowded. Their social media icons on their story pages are ridiculous, too. I mean, I get why they would want you to share their stories, but you get the icons at the very top, then above the story, then ginormous huge icons at the bottom of the story. I guess more than anything the site doesn't feel like a site you'd get from a huge reputable sports news outlet.

I do agree some parts are pretty clunky. I have a fast connection and an absurdly strong computer and I've ran into a hiccups when I've been linked to articles on the site. Just visited their home page and it was smooth though, coulda been browser related before I never gave it much thought. It was never much of a go to site for me anyway.

Turn Off Ads?