Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    UK did have the first black football player in the SEC. So they can't be all bad.

The way I feel about Rupp is that he was a man of times. He may have said things then that were acceptable but not so today. He was typical of most white people of the United States of that time. I don't think he did anything to bar blacks from playing at UK. He did in fact recruit blacks in the early 60's without any success. Wes Unseld and Butch Beard were the most prominiment. Beard actually signed toplay at UK. But he signed at a couple of other places and I believe chose Louisville. Black kids and parents had to be terribly afraid of sending kids to the deep south to play a basketball game. Any intergration efforts in the south at that time were met with harsh resistance and usually violence. I couldn't blame any black kid from not going to UK at that time. Also UK was told by the SEC in the 50's not to recruit blacks or they would be barred from the SEC. UK chose not dispute that and kept the same policies. They probably should have chosen the other path and left the SEC but that's history now.
    I really believe Rupp gets a bad rap from the media. He did nothing that prevented blacks from playing and said nothing of the like in public. The movie about the 1966 game against Texas Western in total sham and borderline fradulent. At the time nothing was said about the implications of that game and really not much until Curry Kirkpatrick of SI decided to go on his agenda about Rupps racism and effects of that game.
    Bascially, was Rupp perfect? No not at all. He had his flaws and there are things he could have done differently but he was not some card carrying KKK member like many have portrayed him to be.
    John Feinstein didn't help matters either. He pounded the racist Rupp angle for years.

Sorry to be one of the 10% of IU fans that are cool.

2. Likes:

Razor Shines (05-06-2013),Revering4Blue (05-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    John Feinstein didn't help matters either. He pounded the racist Rupp angle for years.

Sorry to be one of the 10% of IU fans that are cool.
    Correct about Feinstein. I never read or buy any of his books because he was so blantily bias against UK. My brother gave me Season on the Brink years ago and I never read it just because of Feinstein.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

part of BBN

As mentioned earlier in thread, Julius Randle missed most of the season with foot injury. Here is a piece on his impact with team when healthy.

The Lions went 9-19 without him and finished 6-0 with him including state title. Randle returned from a broken foot injury just before the state tournament and dominated over the course of five games, averaging 28.8 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks. He upped that to 32.5 points and 15.5 in the state Final Four.

Also known as Spring Creaning.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

You guys realize there's an entry on there for "Calipari" also, right?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Forgot to share this. At graduation on Sunday at Rupp, we were walking through the tunnel on our way to the ceremony....while we were in line for a little bit we stopped near the locker room. Here's who dropped by to congratulate us: http://i.imgur.com/E6iqWu0.jpg

11. Likes:

WMR (05-08-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Correct about Feinstein. I never read or buy any of his books because he was so blantily bias against UK. My brother gave me Season on the Brink years ago and I never read it just because of Feinstein.
    It's a shame he's like that when he has an axe to grind, because he's a brilliant writer.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Funny, but show me who he's done that to. Patterson couldn't make the grades and Abell left on his own accord. Next.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-09-2013)

part of BBN

Wiggins to announce Tuesday. From what I am hearing, I would be surprised if UK is his choice. If thats the case, I hope he chooses FSU.
    While he would be the icing on an exceptional recruiting class, I think UK will be more than equipped enough if he chooses elsewhere.
    Maybe it will be UK....we shall see.
    Last edited by jmac; 05-12-2013 at 09:39 PM.

2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Wiggins to announce Tuesday. From what I am hearing, I would be surprised if UK is his choice. If thats the case, I hope he chooses FSU.
    While he would be the icing on an exceptional recruiting class, I think UK will be more than equipped enough if he chooses elsewhere.
    Maybe it will be UK....we shall see.
    I personally feel he will be UK bound and am about 85% sure.

I'm going to be on a plane during the announcement. Looks like I'll be buying the 4.99 wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    I personally feel he will be UK bound and am about 85% sure.

I'm going to be on a plane during the announcement. Looks like I'll be buying the 4.99 wifi.
    I used to think he was UK bound, but the fact that the press conference is only letting one reporter in from the Herald Dispatch tells me it's probably FSU or maybe Kansas.

With the proximity to Kentucky (Ashland across the river, Lexington media two hours away), why would you close off the press conference to only one reporter and the student body only if you were going to Kentucky? It's the opposite of Drew Barker, who opened his press conference up to the general public, and the media was picking South Carolina even with the writing on the wall.

The way the announcement is being handled tells me it's anybody but UK.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Kansas it is.

Turn Off Ads?