Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Laying a few bucks on 400-1 is a far cry from guaranteeing it.

BTW: how bad is Vandy going to be this year?

Is Stallings feeling any heat?
    The fact that there was a line shows there were a few suckers out there ready to throw down a few bucks. I guarantee they weren't Duke fans.

To Vandy: They will be a maybe .500 team. The Jones kid is apparently pretty solid and they have decent guards. But they're thinner than tissue paper, especially up front.

I doubt Stallings is on the hot seat. He brought in a dynamic young assistant who has made some strides in recruiting. They signed 3 kids yesterday that are all Top 100 guys. Unless things fly off the rails hard this year, I'd say he will get at least one year coaching those kids.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Cal sincerely thought that. I could see him using that as a motivational tool though. He's been around too long to do that in a serious manner. That would put way too much pressure on the kids, who are still getting their feet wet with each other at this point.

I can't believe I'm defending Kentucky here. Go Hoosiers. There, now I feel better.
    Probably. But even entertaining the question is probably not the right move. Especially with 18-19 year old ears. Go 1-0 today. Keep it simple.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    One of those 40-0 people were Coach Cal!
    He addressed it because fans and media were already talking about it. He said his team's goal every year is to win every game. Shouldn't that be everyone's goal? It's not like Cal stepped up and declared the team was going to go undefeated. It was nothing like that.

Stanley Johnson committing today.

Unfortunately about a zero percent chance he commits to UK after announcing this early. UK had significant ground to make up and this early commit more or less guarantees it won't be UK.

Snider signs with UL after decommitting from UL, committing to Illinois, and then decommitting from Illinois.

This 2014 class has been about the goofiest class in recent memory.

Not just one but two kids decommit and then end up back with their initial school. You almost never see that.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Stanley Johnson committing today.

Unfortunately about a zero percent chance he commits to UK after announcing this early. UK had significant ground to make up and this early commit more or less guarantees it won't be UK.
    Johnson to Arizona, Alexander to Kansas, Jones and Okafor to Duke.

That went as expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Columbia up 4 on Michigan State with 10 mins left in Game.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Columbia up 4 on Michigan State with 10 mins left in Game.
    #KentuckyEffect

10. Likes:

Hoosier Red (11-16-2013)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    This game pitted the most experienced team in the country vs the least experienced team in the country. Not surprisingly, UK came out with that deer-in-the-headlights look. Even Randle was hesitant the first half of the game. Free throw shooting, transition defense and turnovers were killers. Those three areas probably cost UK 20-25 points. Yet they rallied from a 15-point second half deficit to tie a game that wasn't decided until the final minute. Great coaching job by Cal and lots of good signs. MSU was favored by 3.5 and won by 4. Pretty much what most people expected. Great night of basketball. So glad all four teams have renewed for the next three years.
    Says you on everything? There are teams out there with more experience and teams out with less experience. The Spartans best player is a sophomore that battled some injuries last year. With all that being said I was impressed with the 'Cats. It will take a few games but they look absolutely solid. And take solace in the fact that the SEC once again sucks. #1 seed going to Lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Says you on everything? There are teams out there with more experience and teams out with less experience. The Spartans best player is a sophomore that battled some injuries last year. With all that being said I was impressed with the 'Cats. It will take a few games but they look absolutely solid. And take solace in the fact that the SEC once again sucks. #1 seed going to Lexington.
    Classy stuff as usual, AH.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    He addressed it because fans and media were already talking about it. He said his team's goal every year is to win every game. Shouldn't that be everyone's goal? It's not like Cal stepped up and declared the team was going to go undefeated. It was nothing like that.
    Haven't really had a lot of time to post lately, but here's my take:

I think there is a better chance of getting struck by lightning than a college basketball team anywhere going 40-0. Cal said he would like to coach an undefeated team (who wouldn't?) and people (fans, enemies, media) have ran with it and made wild assumptions that probably never even entered the mind of John Calipari.

Consider these scenarios:

If a team plays a weak non conference schedule, they will eventually get exposed in conference play, right? This always seems to happen with Louisville and Duke who have usually played a weak non-conference schedule. Road games are usually the culprit.

Under the same scenario, if a team makes it that far, then the NCAA tournament exposes the weak non-conference schedule and the season is over. If you want an example of this, look at the 2010 Kentucky Wildcats who played Louisville, UConn, and UNC in down years, eventually got taken to task by South Carolina and Devan Downey in Columbia, lost to Tennessee in Knoxville, and was exposed by a more battle-tested WVU team in the Elite Eight.

Something else to consider, conference tournaments are a farce and have no potential impact on seedings anymore. Some teams are more likely to throw a game or not bring the effort in a conference tournament game just to have the early rest before the real prize a week later. Think Vanderbilt in 2012.

If a team goes undefeated, I really don't think it will be Kentucky as long as we are playing in the Champions Classic. I love the event and hope it continues, but if anything its a building block that with the exception of playing a Kansas team two years ago that was equal to us exposed Kentucky's youth early on. Duke, Michigan State, and Kansas (mostly the first two) will have veteran laden teams who will have the advantage early in the season, making it improbable Kentucky goes 40-0 if not impossible.

I don't think we will ever see a team in any of the megaconferences (and I don't think realignment is finished either) go undefeated anytime soon, and the odds are against Kentucky being the one to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-22-2013),Revering4Blue (11-22-2013)

Every time I diss the program of Kentucky I get a warning or reprimanded. My feelings on Caliparri and his connection to world wide Wes are known. Turning College basketball into a 6 month showcase is disgraceful and were the same sentiments of Wildcats fans before Calipari left Memphis.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Anyone else think the rivalry is kind of spinning out of control? Between Matt Jones' "investigative" journalism and the predictable response by UofL fans, I almost feel bad for these athletes. They're not the most well-behaved kids to begin with and now they have the rival fan base watching their every move. They really can't win.

I guess this is to be expected with back to back bluegrass championships but I enjoyed this rivalry more when it was about what happened on the court/field not a random party or interstate.

This could be a very enjoyable season around here but it hasn't started out that way with the focus on the extracurricular.

17. Likes:

dabvu2498 (11-24-2013),Revering4Blue (11-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Every time I diss the program of Kentucky I get a warning or reprimanded. My feelings on Caliparri and his connection to world wide Wes are known. Turning College basketball into a 6 month showcase is disgraceful and were the same sentiments of Wildcats fans before Calipari left Memphis.
    Maybe it's because you're in a UK thread dissing UK? I've never understood why fans of one school go to a rival's site or thread to "diss" that site's team. Makes absolutely no sense at all. I can't even imagine going to a Louisville site or thread and talking smack about them. What's to be gained from that?

And by the way, World Wide Wes was connected to the Louisville basketball program long before he was connected to Cal or UK. In fact, he's "connected" to almost every top basketball program in the country. Also, the kids that are coming to UK are being recruited by every other basketball coach in the country, including Pitino. Would you really complain if Anthony Davis or Julius Randle had gone to UofL instead of UK? Of course you wouldn't.

Your issue is obviously with UK, not the NBA's one and done rule.

19. Likes:

jmac (11-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Anyone else think the rivalry is kind of spinning out of control? Between Matt Jones' "investigative" journalism and the predictable response by UofL fans, I almost feel bad for these athletes. They're not the most well-behaved kids to begin with and now they have the rival fan base watching their every move. They really can't win.

I guess this is to be expected with back to back bluegrass championships but I enjoyed this rivalry more when it was about what happened on the court/field not a random party or interstate.

This could be a very enjoyable season around here but it hasn't started out that way with the focus on the extracurricular.
    I think the rivalry is the best it's ever been. I love that it's so heated. As for the extracurricular stuff, that's coming out of Louisville only. Pitino needs to do some housecleaning.

Turn Off Ads?