Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Cal wasn't the one who brought it up. It was the media and a small segment of the BBN. Cal addressed it because he was asked about it in a press conference. And his only comment was winning every game should be every team's goal. No one starts a season thinking they want to win x amount of games and lose x amount of games.
    I don't know, maybe because I am a die hard Hoosier fan, he just seemed awfully cocky to start the year. I'm still pissed he pulled out of the IU/UK series, just because he didn't want to play us in B-town!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I don't know, maybe because I am a die hard Hoosier fan, he just seemed awfully cocky to start the year. I'm still pissed he pulled out of the IU/UK series, just because he didn't want to play us in B-town!
    Tom Crean ended the series, not Cal. Cal just wanted to return it to Indy, which was the original plan. Again, it was Crean who backed out of the series, not Cal. IU fans need to quit accepting as fact the garbage Dan Dakich spews. That guy is a nutcase. As for playing in Bloomington, you can put that on IU fans. The way they acted that day was a disgrace to college athletics. Cal just gave in to what UK fans were saying.

I hope we never play in Bloomington again. Verbally abusing opposing fans, physically assaulting them, chanting F*** UK throughout the game, which could easily be heard on TV, etc. You know it's bad when your AD has to issue an official statement afterwards apologizing for your fans' behavior. IMO, UK/IU was the best border rivalry in college basketball, but IU fans ruined it.

4. Likes:

Joseph (12-16-2013)

I found an interesting YouTube clip courtesy of the UNC board of Kennedy Meeks interviewing the UK recruiting class at the McDonalds All-America game. The UK recruits come off well, in my opinion, but it is certainly interesting in light of the game over the weekend. I'll say this: it doesn't sound like Meeks expected UNC to be a favorite heading into the game. And he DOES sort of concede the national title to UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ynTkuLj-8&fea

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    EFFORT.

Even if their shooting was better, they will not be fully embraced by BBN until the effort level matches their Rivals ranking coming in.
    Good offense cures all ills. Want to keep the other guys off the glass? Make shots. Want to play great transition D? Make the other guys take it out of the net. You very rarely see the Dookies do that slap the floor crap after a missed basket.

This weekend, they out rebounded UNC by 12, held UNC under 50% from the field (under 30% from 3). They're just not very good offensively. Bad shots and no shots (turnovers).

Of course, you won't shoot well every night. That's where your effort thing comes in.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 12-16-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Tom Crean ended the series, not Cal. Cal just wanted to return it to Indy, which was the original plan. Again, it was Crean who backed out of the series, not Cal. IU fans need to quit accepting as fact the garbage Dan Dakich spews. That guy is a nutcase. As for playing in Bloomington, you can put that on IU fans. The way they acted that day was a disgrace to college athletics. Cal just gave in to what UK fans were saying.

I hope we never play in Bloomington again. Verbally abusing opposing fans, physically assaulting them, chanting F*** UK throughout the game, which could easily be heard on TV, etc. You know it's bad when your AD has to issue an official statement afterwards apologizing for your fans' behavior. IMO, UK/IU was the best border rivalry in college basketball, but IU fans ruined it.
    Read the below link. UK backed out AFTER IU offered playing the first 2 games in Indy, the 3rd in Rupp and the 4th in Bloomington. Calipari did the backing out!!!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...collapse-again

Kinda like UK players and fans saying IU got lucky!!! Pot meet kettle!!!

Read the below link. UK backed out AFTER IU offered playing the first 2 games in Indy, the 3rd in Rupp and the 4th in Bloomington. Calipari did the backing out!!!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...collapse-again
    UK was never returning to Bloomington as long as Cal and Barnhardt are in charge after the abuse suffered by visiting UK fans and players at the hands of insane IU fans. UKAA received close to two hundred letters demanding never to return.

I PERSONALLY know two UK fans who were spat on, cursed at, and shoved as they attempted to leave that cesspool of an arena.

IU was offered neutral site games in Indy or nothing.

Hey, at least IU hasn't had any trouble replacing UK on their schedule. Explains why they're still whining about it still today.

The funniest are the IU fans still reliving that meaningless game early in the regular season and acting like the one in the Sweet 16 never occurred. Pure self induced delusion.

11. Likes:

Hoosier Red (12-17-2013)

The funniest are the IU fans still reliving that meaningless game early in the regular season and acting like the one in the Sweet 16 never occurred. Pure self induced delusion.
    Who brought up that game...no one in here!!! I get it, Calipari knows what would happen if he brought all his freshmen to B-town. To bad we wont get a chance to prove him right! As far as the crowd issues, that was never brought up in any of the discussions from what I understand. I know UK fans aren't talking about another fanbase as classless...once again...pot meet kettle!!!

UK was never returning to Bloomington as long as Cal and Barnhardt are in charge after the abuse suffered by visiting UK fans and players at the hands of insane IU fans. UKAA received close to two hundred letters demanding never to return.

I PERSONALLY know two UK fans who were spat on, cursed at, and shoved as they attempted to leave that cesspool of an arena.

IU was offered neutral site games in Indy or nothing.

Hey, at least IU hasn't had any trouble replacing UK on their schedule. Explains why they're still whining about it still today.
    If one of them is in commercial real estate in Louisville and is fond of newspapers and Werther's, then he almost deserved it.

I thought about doing those things to him while we were on a football road trip to SC in 2006.

Who brought up that game...no one in here!!! I get it, Calipari knows what would happen if he brought all his freshmen to B-town. To bad we wont get a chance to prove him right! As far as the crowd issues, that was never brought up in any of the discussions from what I understand. I know UK fans aren't talking about another fanbase as classless...once again...pot meet kettle!!!
    I've been to over 200 games in Rupp Arena and several UK road and neutral games and have NEVER seen UK fans treat another fanbase that way. We won't ever have to worry about our AD issuing an apologize for our fans. If I were you I'd be more concerned with IU and less concerned with UK. The Tom Crean era peaked when Watford's shot went through the net that day. I think any IU fan would admit that Crean isn't the guy for the job. IU's basketball program deserves a lot better than him.

I've been to over 200 games in Rupp Arena and several UK road and neutral games and have NEVER seen UK fans treat another fanbase that way. We won't ever have to worry about our AD issuing an apologize for our fans. If I were you I'd be more concerned with IU and less concerned with UK. The Tom Crean era peaked when Watford's shot went through the net that day. I think any IU fan would admit that Crean isn't the guy for the job. IU's basketball program deserves a lot better than him.
    That shot wasn't the peak of the Tom Crean era, it was really just the beginning of it. Sure, there was a lot of doubts about his coaching until the last 2 years, I still doubt some of his in game coaching. You will get that with any coach. But I have no doubt that he is the man for this job. He is a tireless recruiter and he developes talent, and thats not just me thinking that. I don't think you're in tune with the IU fan base if you think other wise. Bob Knight is not walking back in that door, many need to get that in their heads. Most of IU basketball fans are greatful for what he has done for IU BBall and its history. Many of the old guys are coming back to be a part of the program and encouraging Coach Knight to come back.

I could care less about UK, other than to make fun of an old army buddy when they lose. He does the same with me when IU loses. It just gets under my skin when UK fans act like their crap dont stink!!!

We've got a lot of really good Indiana fans on this board that I respect a ton.

The people who told me the stories of how they were treated at that game in Bloomington wouldn't lie, however.

For a significant portion of the IU fanbase, it seems like UK drives them absolutely nuts, beyond the point of reason. Hell, I read a thread on the Peegs board where a number of them said that they hate UK worse than Purdue!

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-17-2013)

The people who told me the stories of how they were treated at that game in Bloomington wouldn't lie, however.

For a significant portion of the IU fanbase, it seems like UK drives them absolutely nuts, beyond the point of reason. Hell, I read a thread on the Peegs board where a number of them said that they hate UK worse than Purdue!
    ...say it aint so!!!!

I'd like to think I'm a reasonable IU fan but I always thought UK was a more hated rival than Purdue.

Simply stated, UK has done things that Purdue hasn't. I don't think that any rivalry can be sustained without at least a little bit of jealousy involved from one or hopefully both sides.

I think 1)Far too many IU fans remember that game and that shot as being more meaningful than deserved. If it's still a high point 5 years from now, Tom Crean will likely be out of a job. 2)The behavior of many IU fans on that day was outrageous even by the standards of hated rival fan base, and it should not be excused.

That said, I also think Calipari and the Kentucky brass are shedding crocodile tears over a game which has no benefit to them as a home and home. Regardless of the behavior of fans that day, UK wouldn't have been interested in returning to Bloomington every other year. UK can play whomever they want as a big November/December matchup. Why should they give away half the gate every other year when there are a plethora of teams willing to play them in front of a huge "neutral" court.

It's also disingenuos to say that Indiana pulled out of the deal. IU has its reasons for wanting it to be a home and home just as Kentucky has its reasons for wanting it to be a rotating neutral court. They couldn't agree on where and when to play so the series died.

Oh well, greater tragedies have undoubtedly occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

20. Likes:

BRM (12-17-2013),cumberlandreds (12-18-2013),dubc47834 (12-17-2013),New York Red (12-17-2013),Revering4Blue (12-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?