Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 686

Thread: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

  1. #421
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,447

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Yeah, that says a whole lot about the talent level in the NBA and college basketball right now. That's why the new commish is practically begging the players association to raise the minimum age limit for early entry from 19 to 20. I think even the players are starting to agree the OAD rule is hurting both the pro game and the college game, so hopefully they get that agreed on soon.
    Is the NBA game hurting right now? Most "experts" that I hear think the level of play in the NBA has improved the last few years. I really don't know as I'm not a big NBA fan. I know I've heard people talking that scoring is up pretty much around the league.

    I don't think there's any question that the quality of the college game is down, but I don't think the one and done rule is even the biggest reason that's happening. It's part of it, but not the biggest part, IMO.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #422
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Is the NBA game hurting right now? Most "experts" that I hear think the level of play in the NBA has improved the last few years. I really don't know as I'm not a big NBA fan. I know I've heard people talking that scoring is up pretty much around the league.

    I don't think there's any question that the quality of the college game is down, but I don't think the one and done rule is even the biggest reason that's happening. It's part of it, but not the biggest part, IMO.
    To your first question? IMO, no, especially compared with the mid-to-late '90's up until the early aughts, when scores below 90 were common, before rules were changed and iso play diminished.
    It is, however, evident that far too many young players, particularly one-and-dones, enter the league nowhere near ready to significantly contribute.

    Regarding the college game, as others have pointed out, teams with at least two one-and-done candidates had better have upperclassman leadership. When it's lacking, it certainly shows.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-06-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  4. Likes:

    dabvu2498 (03-06-2014)

  5. #423
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    He hasn't been particularly good shooting the ball in a couple weeks. Again, I think he's hit a bit of a wall, which may be partly due to his playing so many minutes.

    You wonder some times, if those three guards might "hold back" a little because they know they're going to be out there 35+ minutes most nights. I'm not saying that a team needs a full 12 man rotation every game, but having guys that you can use to buy everyone a lil rest has its' benefits. (And hypothetically, it leads to some development for those bench guys as well.)
    That may be true. The whole team has. They aren't getting offense from anybody, and a big part of that is Calipari hasn't given them much besides the "drive and throw up it" option.

    Agree with you that they would have been much better served had he stuck to his guns on using the bench. It's just not in his nature, and I believe he's somewhat beholden to this "get guys drafted in the lottery" mentality. There's NO WAY the Harrison twins should be playing 30+ minutes a game based on their performance.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  6. Likes:

    dabvu2498 (03-06-2014)

  7. #424
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,447

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    That may be true. The whole team has. They aren't getting offense from anybody, and a big part of that is Calipari hasn't given them much besides the "drive and throw up it" option.

    Agree with you that they would have been much better served had he stuck to his guns on using the bench. It's just not in his nature, and I believe he's somewhat beholden to this "get guys drafted in the lottery" mentality. There's NO WAY the Harrison twins should be playing 30+ minutes a game based on their performance.
    Just for fun... Starting with Ole Miss on 2/4, James Young FG shooting:

    2-8
    3-8
    1-10
    7-10
    6-12
    7-17
    4-12
    4-12
    1-11
    35-100 35%

    3 pt shooting:
    0-5
    1-4
    1-5
    3-5
    2-7
    1-4
    1-4
    3-5
    1-10
    13-49 26.5%

    His shot's broke, his legs are dead, or he's taking terrible shots. Or some combo of all three, more than likely.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  8. #425
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,447

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    FWIW, in that same time frame, Julius Randle has 79 FG attempts.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  9. #426
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Is the NBA game hurting right now? Most "experts" that I hear think the level of play in the NBA has improved the last few years. I really don't know as I'm not a big NBA fan. I know I've heard people talking that scoring is up pretty much around the league.
    According to the interview I saw with the new commissioner a couple days ago, he definitely believes the current OAD rule is hurting the league. He talked about so many players entering the league who aren't ready as players and aren't mature enough as people. He said it's a nearly unanimous opinion among the league's owners, GM's and coaches, and that it's becoming more of an opinion shared by the players as well.

    There will always be star players, but the rest of the league is far from impressive. The state of the current Eastern Conference is probably the worst in the history of the league. The new commish sounds hellbent on changing it so these players get another year in college to grow as both people and players. It can't happen soon enough, IMO, and it will definitely improve the quality of play at the college level too. It certainly can't hurt.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  10. #427
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    There's NO WAY the Harrison twins should be playing 30+ minutes a game based on their performance.
    And if we had any guards on the bench who are better, they wouldn't be.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  11. #428
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,447

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    And if we had any guards on the bench who are better, they wouldn't be.
    I don't think it's a huge stretch to say they might be a little better if they played a little less. Also, more of an opportunity might allow some of the bench guys the opportunity for improvement. And I really don't think Polson kills them in there.

    It is pretty striking, though, that there really are not any good viable options (apparently) at the wings on that roster.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  12. #429
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    It might have been mentioned here but I don't recall anybody bringing it up. If Kentucky has all this talent, why are they getting beat in a very weak SEC? What if the SEC was like the Big 12 this year? How would the 'Cats do? What would be their record in the ACC? The B1G?

    I don't know but something just don't seem right.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  13. #430
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    And if we had any guards on the bench who are better, they wouldn't be.
    I don't think it's that cut-and-dry. Nobody's on the bench "better" than them. But that's not the only purpose of having a nice bench. You take 6-8 minutes a game off their minute log and divide them between Polson, Hawkins and Hood. And don't stick them out there together or with other non-scoring threats. Work them in with four of the main guys so their shortcomings aren't magnified.

    That's where I think Cal has had a down year, personally. He didn't manage his roster to its full potential.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  14. #431
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Just for fun... Starting with Ole Miss on 2/4, James Young FG shooting:

    2-8
    3-8
    1-10
    7-10
    6-12
    7-17
    4-12
    4-12
    1-11
    35-100 35%

    3 pt shooting:
    0-5
    1-4
    1-5
    3-5
    2-7
    1-4
    1-4
    3-5
    1-10
    13-49 26.5%

    His shot's broke, his legs are dead, or he's taking terrible shots. Or some combo of all three, more than likely.
    There's no doubt it's trending down, but I take the season as a whole when it comes to stats.

    His numbers would be better with a few minutes given to Hood or Willis. Not a bunch. Just a few. He should be playing 28-30 minutes a game, not 33-35.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  15. #432
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Just for fun... Starting with Ole Miss on 2/4, James Young FG shooting:

    2-8
    3-8
    1-10
    7-10
    6-12
    7-17
    4-12
    4-12
    1-11
    35-100 35%

    3 pt shooting:
    0-5
    1-4
    1-5
    3-5
    2-7
    1-4
    1-4
    3-5
    1-10
    13-49 26.5%

    His shot's broke, his legs are dead, or he's taking terrible shots. Or some combo of all three, more than likely.
    One other quick thing: I don't think his shot's broke. I went back and watched the Bama game. His shot looked fantastic. Almost every one of those looked like they were money. Just one of those nights where it wasn't dropping.

    Cal said he'll jerk him out if he DOESN'T shoot. If he's open, wants him aggressively seeking his shot. And I agree with that.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  16. #433
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,447

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    There's no doubt it's trending down, but I take the season as a whole when it comes to stats.

    His numbers would be better with a few minutes given to Hood or Willis. Not a bunch. Just a few. He should be playing 28-30 minutes a game, not 33-35.
    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    One other quick thing: I don't think his shot's broke. I went back and watched the Bama game. His shot looked fantastic. Almost every one of those looked like they were money. Just one of those nights where it wasn't dropping.

    Cal said he'll jerk him out if he DOESN'T shoot. If he's open, wants him aggressively seeking his shot. And I agree with that.
    Those games represent nearly 1/3 of the season, and thus, season percentages are 39.7/32.8. I understand you don't want a kid to get gun-shy, but you do want a kid to understand where and when to take his shots.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  17. #434
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    I would agree with that, in principle, but I don't see him taking bad shots. To me, an open shot for James Young is a good shot. Of course, I'd like to see them give Randle a long look first, and preferably go inside-out, but if James is open, I think he needs to have the green light. He's a bulk scorer. Always has been.

    And if you look at stuff like PER, he's just a sliver behind Finney-Smith and Wilbekin of Florida, who have had heaps of praise thrown on them all year long. Certainly, this can't be the "worst player ever." (I know those weren't your words.)
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  18. #435
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I don't think it's that cut-and-dry. Nobody's on the bench "better" than them. But that's not the only purpose of having a nice bench. You take 6-8 minutes a game off their minute log and divide them between Polson, Hawkins and Hood. And don't stick them out there together or with other non-scoring threats. Work them in with four of the main guys so their shortcomings aren't magnified.

    That's where I think Cal has had a down year, personally. He didn't manage his roster to its full potential.
    I can see it from your point of view too, but I still think it goes back to this roster just not being nearly as talented as Cal thought it would be. I wasn't in the group who thought 40-0 was possible. I wasn't even in the group who thought a national championship was forthcoming. But I did think this team would be strong enough to blow weaker teams out, and that just hasn't happened very often.

    When you're not putting teams away until the last couple minutes of games, those bench guys aren't going to get much clock. I'm sure Cal didn't plan on Randle, Young and the Harrisons getting so many minutes, but he really hasn't had a choice. Winning games is more important than distributing minutes for the subs, and more often than not this year, wins haven't been decided early enough to rest starters a lot.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25