Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They've made it to three final fours with it and two championship games, winning one of them. I'd say that playground basketball works pretty well.
    Yep, I said it works for Kentucky. It is because of how much talent they have though, not because of the offense. Cal assembles a roster of future NBA players and unleashes them. I get it, I would probably do the same, really he probably can't put a real offense in because he doesn't have his players long enough.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yep, I said it works for Kentucky. It is because of how much talent they have though, not because of the offense. Cal assembles a roster of future NBA players and unleashes them. I get it, I would probably do the same, really he probably can't put a real offense in because he doesn't have his players long enough.
    In your eyes what would a real offense be? The DDMO is taken from the motion offense, one of the oldest in college basketball.

It's a legitimate offense that has been adopted by other college teams and parts of the NBA. It works and unlike other offenses showcases talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

In your eyes what would a real offense be? The DDMO is taken from the motion offense, one of the oldest in college basketball.

It's a legitimate offense that has been adopted by other college teams and parts of the NBA. It works and unlike other offenses showcases talent.
    This is the key and part of the reason Cal is able to recruit so many future NBA players.

Oh, I don't know - an offense that has actual plays? I feel like you are offended by what I am saying, but I am agreeing with you that it works and works well for Kentucky. But, I believe if you were to run that offense with, let's say Miami University, you would be lucky to win 10 games. You need the talent to "showcase." The Kentucky offense is about as basic as it gets, and I do not think there is anything wrong with that, it's just not my cup of tea. When you are dealing with 5 starting freshman, many of which will be "one and done" you want to keep it basic, and just let their talent win the games.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I think that's pretty true. Giffey couldn't guard his own shadow. Young and Randle both took advantage. When UConn went zone they shaded to his side monumentally to help him out. Thing is, nobody could really "turn the corner" on either Napier or Boatright consistently. UK did a poor job of recognizing where their advantages were located.

One thing I wondered is why UK never ever posts up their bigger guards against a kid like Boatright. And I'm not talking about putting them on the block and posting them up in the truest sense. I mean having them post up to create contact to get the ball in the 17-18 foot range rather than the 25-26 foot range. Also, with Randle having a pretty diverse offensive game, they almost never used himas the screener on screen and rolls. Seems like that would be putting him in a position to be pretty successful. I know he wasn't 100% last night, but Randle only getting 7 shots seems like a waste.
    Cal doesn't coach so how could they adjust? It's street ball 110% of the time.

And it works and it's smart so I'm not mouthing him at all.

This is the key and part of the reason Cal is able to recruit so many future NBA players.

Oh, I don't know - an offense that has actual plays? I feel like you are offended by what I am saying, but I am agreeing with you that it works and works well for Kentucky. But, I believe if you were to run that offense with, let's say Miami University, you would be lucky to win 10 games. You need the talent to "showcase." The Kentucky offense is about as basic as it gets, and I do not think there is anything wrong with that, it's just not my cup of tea. When you are dealing with 5 starting freshman, many of which will be "one and done" you want to keep it basic, and just let their talent win the games.
    I'm fairly "meh" on offenses that "run" plays.
    1) I don't care what it is if it works.
    2)I prefer to see the player's shine, not the coach.
    3) At the highest levels of NCAA basketball, it's rarely an X's & O's matchup that wins. Success depends more on a coaches ability to get his highly talented players to take defense and rebounding seriously and play within a team's game plan.

What made Butler so great during it's run wasn't that Brad Stevens invented a new offense no one had seen, but he had specific guys who fit specific roles perfectly, and they played defense and rebounded with such skill and intensity that it took a lot of teams out of their games.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Not offended at all. Calipari did run the same type of offense at Memphis though with lesser recruits than what he had at Kentucky, so it can be done if utilized the right way. It's all about getting the right players in place, regardless of where they rank nationally.

I just don't see it as Kindergarten basketball though. That would be where I would take exception with. Street ball maybe. :-)
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Not offended at all. Calipari did run the same type of offense at Memphis though with lesser recruits than what he had at Kentucky, so it can be done if utilized the right way. It's all about getting the right players in place, regardless of where they rank nationally.

I just don't see it as Kindergarten basketball though. That would be where I would take exception with. Street ball maybe. :-)

I certainly would not consider Tyreke Evans and Derek Rose lesser players.

Good post, Hoosier. As a coach, I'd want a little more diversity in my offense. Maybe that comes from the little bit of coaching I did back when. Probably so. DDMO is an excellent "base" offense, especially when you have the guys with the skills to turn the corner and then a shooter or two to keep folks honest (having hosses to ORB helps too). But there are scenarios... First play of both halves, first play out of a time out, baseline OB, sideline OB, under 15 seconds on shot clock, where it'd be nice to have 20-30 sets that you could run that would give you a good chance at taking advantage of a favorable matchup, get the ball in your best guys hands and get a good shot

I'm with you I that I never cared for 10-years ago Tim Izzo, where if they had 70 possessions, he was running 70 different set plays. In 1996, Calipari published a book: http://www.amazon.com/Basketballs-Ha...6974212&sr=1-4. Know what's in that book? About 150 quick hitter sets and OB plays. When I was coaching, we used a bunch directly from that book. And I'm not advocating he should go back to that. Not at all. But compare that to his comments after the Vanderbilt game, where he talked about VU scoring several "gimmick" baskets. To me, a bucket is a bucket. And I'd want to be able to score buckets any way I could.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I certainly would not consider Tyreke Evans and Derek Rose lesser players.
    Before them. I don't think CDR, Joey Dorsey, Antonio Anderson, and Robert Dozier were highly recruited out of high school.

There are situations where the Kentucky offense can hurt you. For exampple: last night with 30 seconds left down by 6. Obviously it was a dire situation but Kentucky used up 20 seconds or so just dribbling around aimlessly. If they had set up a play perhaps they would have been able to get a faster shot off. Even if they had made a 3 there they most likely would have lost, but when they used up more than 10 seconds trying to get a shot off I said aloud "game over."

12. Likes:

dabvu2498 (04-08-2014)

For such a "poor" offense Cal has run, he has done pretty well. Three Final Fours in five seasons and one championship. I'll take that and I would say nearly every other school in the country would to.

UK lost that game early in the 2nd half. UConn went 6 1/2 minutes without scoring. UK could only muster up 2 or 3 points in that stretch. They had to take advantage of that and get a lead of at least 6 or 8 points. Had the chance to take control the game and couldn't. Still a great run in the tournament. At the end of the game you could tell they were out of gas. Just couldn't turn it back on for a fifth game win at the buzzer. Any UK fan who couldn't be happy with this run will never be happy. Disappointing end for sure but still a great ride to get there.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Where did I say it was a "poor" offense? I simply said I did not like it and went on to say it works well for Kentucky.

Where did I say it was a "poor" offense? I simply said I did not like it and went on to say it works well for Kentucky.
    You and a couple of others certainly implied it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You and a couple of others certainly implied it.
    IF a team with lesser talent were to run it, yes it would be a poor offense. But with 7 McDonalds All Americans it's a different story.

IF a team with lesser talent were to run it, yes it would be a poor offense. But with 7 McDonalds All Americans it's a different story.
    The Cal teams pre Derrick Rose ran the offense and didn't have a Burger Boy on the team. It can be done.

Turn Off Ads?