Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Let the Cal to the NBA rumors begin. Thanks Rex Chapman.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Cal teams pre Derrick Rose ran the offense and didn't have a Burger Boy on the team. It can be done.
    Memphis
    Dajuan Wagner (6th, 2002 NBA Draft)
    Earl Barron (Undrafted, 2003 NBA Draft)
    Antonio Burks (36th, 2004 NBA Draft)
    Shawne Williams (17th, 2006 NBA Draft)
    Rodney Carney (16th, 2006 NBA Draft)
    Darius Washington, Jr. (Undrafted, 2006)
    Derrick Rose (1st, 2008 NBA Draft)

He didn't have huge players, but in 2006 for example he had two first round draft picks and another that was signed as an undrafted free agent.

PS: What does "Burger Boy" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Cal teams pre Derrick Rose ran the offense and didn't have a Burger Boy on the team. It can be done.
    They were also playing in C-USA... The awful version of C-USA.

05-06 is the year he implemented dribble drive at Memphis. Also the year CDR, Antonio Anderson, Robert Dozier and Shawne Williams hit campus. And the year Louisville, Marquette, UC, and others left C-USA. Probably not a coincidence.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 04-08-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Memphis
    Dajuan Wagner (6th, 2002 NBA Draft)
    Earl Barron (Undrafted, 2003 NBA Draft)
    Antonio Burks (36th, 2004 NBA Draft)
    Shawne Williams (17th, 2006 NBA Draft)
    Rodney Carney (16th, 2006 NBA Draft)
    Darius Washington, Jr. (Undrafted, 2006)
    Derrick Rose (1st, 2008 NBA Draft)

He didn't have huge players, but in 2006 for example he had two first round draft picks and another that was signed as an undrafted free agent.

PS: What does "Burger Boy" mean?
    McDonalds All American
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I find it laughable that a lot of people in the national media think Calipari can't coach. I'm not a UK fan, not even close, but the guy is a great coach, not just a recruiter. I don't care how many All-Americans you have, freshman are still freshman, and to throw them all together year after year and to consistently get tremendous results, that's something else.

I'm an OSU fan, and Thad Matta recruits his fair share of highly recruited players. But outside of a few, most of them take 3-4 years to develop, if they ever do at all (hi Amir Williams!) Calipari deserves more credit than he gets for the job he's done. Winning at UK isn't easy as many assume. Ask anyone in between Pitino and Calipari about that.

7. Likes:

Joseph (04-09-2014), Revering4Blue (04-08-2014), WMR (04-12-2014), WVRed (04-08-2014)

How are all of you handling the loss? I'm not dealing with it as well as I thought for a number of reasons.
    1) UK was so much better than UCONN (just like that stupid Kemba Walker team. UCONN has two of the junkiest championship teams of all time and both eliminated beloved teams of mine).
    2) I keep getting unwanted reminders. I got an SI in the mail yesterday with Napier on the cover, brought it into the house, put it on the floor, and walked on it a few times.....
    3) This is the hardest part of rooting for Cal teams: By the time you truly love and appreciate them, they are gone. Most other fans will get to see their team (or some reasonable facsimile of their team) compete again next year. Cal's teams don't get that luxury. I really wanted more DeMarcus/Wall/Bledsoe. I was head over heels in love with the Davis/MKG team. I really loved the Liggins/Knight/Harrellson group. Lasts years team wasn't so loveable....This season, it took a while, but they won me over and I will never see them again. Now, don't think that means I am advocating for them to come back. Get yours fellas. But, that doesn't mean my emotions aren't real and raw.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    How are all of you handling the loss? I'm not dealing with it as well as I thought for a number of reasons.
    1) UK was so much better than UCONN (just like that stupid Kemba Walker team. UCONN has two of the junkiest championship teams of all time and both eliminated beloved teams of mine).
    2) I keep getting unwanted reminders. I got an SI in the mail yesterday with Napier on the cover, brought it into the house, put it on the floor, and walked on it a few times.....
    3) This is the hardest part of rooting for Cal teams: By the time you truly love and appreciate them, they are gone. Most other fans will get to see their team (or some reasonable facsimile of their team) compete again next year. Cal's teams don't get that luxury. I really wanted more DeMarcus/Wall/Bledsoe. I was head over heels in love with the Davis/MKG team. I really loved the Liggins/Knight/Harrellson group. Lasts years team wasn't so loveable....This season, it took a while, but they won me over and I will never see them again. Now, don't think that means I am advocating for them to come back. Get yours fellas. But, that doesn't mean my emotions aren't real and raw.
    I'm dealing with it just fine. They had a great run in the tourney. They got much further than anyone expected. I'm more than satisfied. Sure they could have beaten UConn and its frustrating but I look at the big picture and where they came from and what they did to get there.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I share cumberlandreds views to an extent, but here goes:

I don't view UK being "better" than UConn. Better talent? Yes. More mature and conditioned? Not at all. UK lost to a team that was more physical and was in much better physical shape. Compare UK with UConn and how they played and UK was more physically and mentally exhausted, and it showed in game situations (a team that dominates on the boards gets outrebounded) and at the free throw line.

The same thing happened three years ago in Houston when we lost to UConn. Kentucky was winded and the UConn players kept taking it to them and wearing them down. I thought at the time that depth was an issue with how tired that team was but after watching this years team I think something needs to be examined with the strength and conditioning programs for the players. You really can't blame it on age either because outside of Kemba Walker the UConn team three years ago featured predominantly freshmen and sophomores.

What did bother me was that we lost to UConn, in short:

A team that missed the tournament last season not because they struggled, but because of APR issues.

A team that a star player from that team who said after the tournament he had just finished reading his first book ever from cover to cover.

A previous coach of that team who got away with a violation that likely would have landed Kentucky on probation.

The previous coach was put up on such a pedestal that you would have thought he was still coaching the team.

A team that basically got a home game for the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight. You could make the same argument for Kentucky, but they had Louisville and Michigan within close proximity to Indianapolis. Think Iowa State and Michigan State had a pretty decent gripe?

All of that really wouldn't have bothered me, except for Shabazz Napier's comments at the end of the game. "This is what happens when you ban us." Granted, the players suffered for something that they had nothing to do with, but UConn deserved to be banned and when you consider Calhoun's actions, they should have likely gotten more. Could anybody here imagine if one of the Unforgettables had made similar comments?

But in all honesty, this team achieved more in the postseason that I could have ever expected. If you would have told me after the South Carolina game that Kentucky would have made it to the championship game, I would have told you that you were out of your mind. As for the last comment, this team will definitely lose two (Randle and Young), but could lose as many as seven (Twins, Poythress, Cauley-Stein, and Dakari, who I would have never thought except for this tournament).

If the Lakers come calling, this could be Cal's Rick Pitino moment. I think it's a lot more possible than people think, especially if the Lakers are trying to woo LeBron. This could be an interesting offseason either way.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Have always said Jim Calhoun is the guy many think Cal is. It does stink to lose to his program, whether he's retired or not.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Interesting comments WV. The only thing I can add is UK was riding "Lady Luck" after their first game in the tournament.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Watching that game, I felt like UCONN came out like gangbusters in the first 15 minutes and then held on for dear life for the rest of the game. I don't always buy the "more mature" arguments, unless you feel that free throws are made by mature teams. UCONN, with all that maturity, had a really hard time dealing a pretty mediocre zone. They did get more rebounds, but with UK missing Cauley Stein and Randle cramping from the get go, that isn't totally unexpected. Once the Harrison's adjusted to the speed of the two guards, their quickness was mostly negated. After that, UCONNs offense was mostly pull up 27 footers from Napier.

As for my emotions after the game, I wasn't expecting that. I didn't have great feelings for this team, but exciting tournament runs often can change that. It felt like something magical was happening and to have it end that way was hard.

Cal just took a team that finished the regular season unranked, to the championship game, starting five freshmen and beating the most formidable schedule in the history of the tournament along the way -- and playing without his biggest and best defensive presence.

But he can't coach?
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Watching that game, I felt like UCONN came out like gangbusters in the first 15 minutes and then held on for dear life for the rest of the game. I don't always buy the "more mature" arguments, unless you feel that free throws are made by mature teams. UCONN, with all that maturity, had a really hard time dealing a pretty mediocre zone. They did get more rebounds, but with UK missing Cauley Stein and Randle cramping from the get go, that isn't totally unexpected. Once the Harrison's adjusted to the speed of the two guards, their quickness was mostly negated. After that, UCONNs offense was mostly pull up 27 footers from Napier.
    As a friend of mine put it that night, both squads went back and forth between "I can see why this team made the final" and "I can see why this team lost a bunch of games."
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    As a friend of mine put it that night, both squads went back and forth between "I can see why this team made the final" and "I can see why this team lost a bunch of games."
    It was all that is right and all that is wrong with the NCAA tournament model.

Barry Rohrssen is the hot name being mentioned to replace Antigua.

Me likey.

Turn Off Ads?