Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Re: UK Basketball DY9ASTY Edition

Better them than UNC.

This still doesn't make KU a title contender, IMO. They lost their top 5 scorers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Kansas it is.
    Am I the only UK fan/alum who doesn't care? I'm not a fan of the OAD, so one less doesn't bother me. I miss the old days, and it has nothing to do with Wiggins.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Am I the only UK fan/alum who doesn't care? I'm not a fan of the OAD, so one less doesn't bother me. I miss the old days, and it has nothing to do with Wiggins.
    I want Cal to keep pursuing the absolute best players but I do miss guys staying more than one season. Not enough to quit going after the cream of the crop, though.

Wish the NBA had passed a 2 year rule...

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Better them than UNC.

This still doesn't make KU a title contender, IMO. They lost their top 5 scorers.
    Agree on both points. I wasnt surprised he chose elsewhere. I did however rank Kansas 4 out of the 4 he mentioned.
    Just glad he didnt choose UNC. Vitale would have had a blast.

6. Likes:

WMR (05-14-2013)

Better them than UNC.

It actually does, although I would probably rank them 4th or 5th. They are replacing those scorers with Joel Embiid, the top center prospect in the nation, another wing in Wayne Selden, and that Wiggins guy everybody is talking about. The only thing I see as a weakness is at PG, as Kansas is loaded with wings and have Embiid in the middle.

But I do agree. I would have hated to have seen Kentucky played against UNC in Chapel Hill with Wiggins in the fray. They have a better supporting cast than KU, but given Ole Roy's track record of developing NBA prospects (Harrison Barnes), can't say I blame Wiggins. Not to mention constantly hearing ESPN bombard us with Andrew Wiggins vs Jabari Parker all season long.

In all honesty, I think Kansas was the compromise choice for these reasons:

UK: Playing for Cal would have taken away the spotlight as well as possible minutes sharing them with the logjam Kentucky would have had with the wings. His parents knew this and I think Wiggins did as well. I think Kentucky likely would have had the number one overall pick next season, but it could be Andrew Harrison or Julius Randle, and still very well could be.

FSU: Would have been the favorite with his parents graduating from there. However, Wiggins would have had no supporting cast and while he would have gotten a lot of touches would have been double and triple teamed all night.

UNC: Family in the area and has a better supporting cast than KU, but as mentioned above, Roy Williams track record of developing NBA recruits leaves a lot to be desired. Not to mention, Wiggins has been not wanting to disappoint anyone and would have had to make a trip to the jilted lover in Florida State.

Enter Kansas: A solid recruiting class with a solid supporting cast. No return trips to UNC or Florida State, no being "the guy" who has to do everything and no competition for playing time at Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I've kinda been indifferent for awhile. Wiggins IMO was the difference between a National Championship contender and running the table. It was icing on an already delicious cake if Wiggins would have committed, but with Poythress coming back, Wiggins wasn't a necessity. I really don't think the other players were recruiting Wiggins very hard as well, knowing he would take minutes away from James Young and Aaron Harrison.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

part of BBN

Archie Goodwin isnt having a very good showing at the NBA combine. I read the other day where one scout said he notices Archie "falls down alot". Ya think....
    Then today this tweet :

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Archie Goodwin and B.J. Young having a mini-competition for who can look like a worse shooter. Air-balling shots left and right. #nbacombine

9. Likes:

WMR (05-18-2013)

Glad he's gone, hate to say it but it's true.

Glad he's gone, hate to say it but it's true.
    Sad part is, if he will ever work at developing his jump shot, he would be one of the better players of the Calipari era.

As for UK, definitely one of the most polarizing players I've ever witnessed. Reminds me of Rondo when it comes to fan treatment.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Sad part is, if he will ever work at developing his jump shot, he would be one of the better players of the Calipari era.

As for UK, definitely one of the most polarizing players I've ever witnessed. Reminds me of Rondo when it comes to fan treatment.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Rondo actually had fans. IDK any UK fans who would term themselves "AG Fans." He accomplished nothing.

I don't really agree that he's ever gonna be considered one of the better players of the Cal era either. That's an impressive list and Archie has many more holes in his game than a broken J, even though his J is certainly broke.

Rondo actually had fans. IDK any UK fans who would term themselves "AG Fans." He accomplished nothing.

I don't really agree that he's ever gonna be considered one of the better players of the Cal era either. That's an impressive list and Archie has many more holes in his game than a broken J, even though his J is certainly broke.
    I was always under the impression that Rondo was genuinely disliked because of how much turmoil was on that team. I remember it was basically if Rondo didn't go pro, Ramel Bradley would have transferred.

But yeah, I'd be more likely to be a Daniel Orton fan before Archie Goodwin, but Goodwin strikes me as a player who will finally get it when his back is pushed up against a wall in the D-League. Cal didn't get through to him, but being in a do or die situation will probably wake him up.

part of BBN

With all the talent UK has coming in, I think some of the experience coming back will be crucial.
    I really enjoyed reading this on the summer games with Poythress/Randle:

The story this summer has been the epic battles between Julius Randle and Alex Poythress. A couple of folks familiar with the games (and as Hawkins noted to the Courier Journal) have told me that the battle between Poythress and Randle in practices and games has been special indeed. As one source told me, “these guys are bringing out the best in each other. Alex has stepped his game up so much, I think because he knows he has to in order to stay with Julius. And when Alex wants to, he can guard anyone and it is making Julius work as well. Both are really bringing it.”

Wiljter transferring

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Wiljter transferring
    Ouch.

Wow!

part of BBN

I really expected it a couple of months ago when rumors involving Gonzaga started. I figured now after all the initial talk, he would stay.

Turn Off Ads?