Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Frazier in LF, Hannahan at 3B?

Frazier in LF, Hannahan at 3B?

I hate to move Frazier off third base, I had hoped this year he would become a permanent starter at third. But necessity is the mother of invention.

Hannahan has hit nicely so far, it's undoubtedly the small sample, he'll come back to earth. But he is a very, very fine defender at third base. Last night he showed that with some good plays.

In Ludwick's absence, at least against righties, the Reds might consider Frazier in LF and Hannahan at third base. It would give the Reds an amazing defensive infield, Frazier can handle LF defensively. And Hannahan could be ok offensively against RHP.

It does present a batting order issue. Who would hit second? Hannahan, Cozart? Not sure either is a great choice.

Offensively, i think XPaul might be the best choice against RHP, play him in left and let him hit second.

Overall, including defense, the Reds might consider the Hannahan alternative.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Frazier in LF, Hannahan at 3B?

I am in favor of any plan that gives Heisey less ABs.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Wow, I was stumping for Rolen to come back so that he and Hannahan could platoon at 3B with Frazier in the OF in the event one of the middle of the order corner OF guys was hurt and most didn't want to move Frazier off of 3B. The thing is, without Rolen, the Reds don't really have a better alternive than Heisey in LF and Frazier at 3B against LHP. I'd be for Hannahan at 3B with Frazier in LF against RHP, but I'm not sure it adds much over Paul in LF and Frazier at 3B. I think Frazier is a better defender in the OF than Paul and Hannahan is better 3B than Frazier, so there is that.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I'm with Tom. Tired of seeing Heisey look stupid.

Hannahan is a career 86 OPS+ hitter in about 1700 career plate appearances and is 33. As a hitter he isn't going to improve and isn't likely to be better then Heisey.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Wow, I was stumping for Rolen to come back so that he and Hannahan could platoon at 3B with Frazier in the OF in the event one of the middle of the order corner OF guys was hurt and most didn't want to move Frazier off of 3B. The thing is, without Rolen, the Reds don't really have a better alternive than Heisey in LF and Frazier at 3B against LHP. I'd be for Hannahan at 3B with Frazier in LF against RHP, but I'm not sure it adds much over Paul in LF and Frazier at 3B. I think Frazier is a better defender in the OF than Paul and Hannahan is better 3B than Frazier, so there is that.
    Really, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Rolen. He isn't on the team because he was often injured and because the Reds now have Frazier and Hannahan at third. Nobody in baseball picked him up. He would have cost fairly serious money and I couldn't support that move.

The question of third base against lefty pitchers is minor. Reds don't face lefties that often. I'm more than happy to have Frazier at third, Heisey in LF against lefties. And, yes, Chris did do well against lefties last season.

The question raised here is whether Hannahan/Frazier is better than Paul/Frazier or Heisey/Frazier against righties.

IMO, Paul/Frazier is the best offensive choice and has the advantage of giving Frazier more reps at third base, cementing him at that position.

But Hannahan/Frazier could be the best defensive alignment so it's worth considering.

I'd save Heisey/Frazier for the lefthanded pitchers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-13-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Hannahan is a career 86 OPS+ hitter in about 1700 career plate appearances and is 33. As a hitter he isn't going to improve and isn't likely to be better then Heisey.
    Thatīs the reason why I wouldnīt change everything after a 10 game span...

yes heisey looked not good (had some bad at bats, as did bruce). heīs not a #2 hitter and I would like to see more of paul in left field, but let frazier stay at 3rd...

Turn Off Ads?