Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo Choo and the HBP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shin Soo Choo and the HBP

Choo has now been hit 6 times in 11 games. His career high in a season is 17. The all time record is 51 by Hughie Jennings in 1896. The modern mark is 50 by Ron Hunt in 1971.
    Has anyone noticed a difference in Choo's stance/ approach this year that this could be attributed to, or can we chalk it up to freak occurrence?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Re: Shin Soo Choo and the HBP

I think its luck (or bad luck...)

or perhaps the pitcher thought that he is from north corea and showed their dislike towards kim jong un

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Choo has now been hit 6 times in 11 games. His career high in a season is 17. The all time record is 51 by Hughie Jennings in 1896. The modern mark is 50 by Ron Hunt in 1971.
    Has anyone noticed a difference in Choo's stance/ approach this year that this could be attributed to, or can we chalk it up to freak occurrence?
    Probably just a small sample size aberration. Choo sure doesn't try to avoid getting hit. He is perfectly happy to take one for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Probably just a small sample size aberration. Choo sure doesn't try to avoid getting hit. He is perfectly happy to take one for the team.
    Definitely true. Fernando Vina used to play the same way. Heck, if anything, he'd lean in.
    I wish more guys who were less talented with the bat had this approach. I think it was Heisey who was trying to bunt earlier this year and pulled away when he couldve easily been hit in the fleshy part of his body by a ball that wasn't thrown terribly hard.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

at least 2/6 have just hit his shirt

A major part of it is Choo just doesn't get out of the way, ever. I'm sure if a high hard one came flying toward his arm or head, he would bail. But Choo is happy to take a ball off his leg, butt, or jersey to get to first base. He's a tough dude.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    A major part of it is Choo just doesn't get out of the way, ever. I'm sure if a high hard one came flying toward his arm or head, he would bail. But Choo is happy to take a ball off his leg, butt, or jersey to get to first base. He's a tough dude.
    Yea, guys who don't mind getting hit by 90+ are tough as nails. Most guys bail on curve balls inside. I'll take all the jersey brushing HBP he's willing to take.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Ahem...
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

-RichRed

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I may be mistaken, but isn't the rule that the batter has to make a visible effort to get out of the way of the pitch? It seems like lately guys don't even budge, including Choo. Now if it doesn't bother him, it doesn't bother me, but I'd say that rule is being misinterpreted lately, unless turning your back to the ball counts as "a visible effort."
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I may be mistaken, but isn't the rule that the batter has to make a visible effort to get out of the way of the pitch? It seems like lately guys don't even budge, including Choo. Now if it doesn't bother him, it doesn't bother me, but I'd say that rule is being misinterpreted lately, unless turning your back to the ball counts as "a visible effort."
    Generally as long as you don't lean into the pitch or cause yourself to get hit by a pitch that otherwise wasn't going to hit you the umpire will let you take your base. That might not be strictly according to the rule but that is the practice.

You have to appreciate Choo's willingness to "take one for the team", but I just hope it doesn't cause him to suffer an injury he could have avoided by playing a little dodgeball.

12. Likes:

mattfeet (04-22-2013),WildcatFan (04-21-2013)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

According to Marty, that's a new Reds franchise record for most HBP in a single calendar month. And there's still a week to go till May.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post

According to Marty, that's a new Reds franchise record for most HBP in a single calendar month. And there's still a week to go till May.
    No other TEAM in baseball has as many HBP as Choo does this year. LAD and NYY both have 9.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/c...innings-042213
    Shin-Soo Choo kept getting hit - and getting on base - at a phenomenal pace. Wood hit him in the right arm with a pitch in the sixth. Choo has been hit by pitches 10 times already, a Reds record for one month. It's the most times a major leaguer has been hit by a pitch in a month since Houston's Craig Biggio was plunked 10 times in August 1997.
    Last edited by klw; 04-23-2013 at 08:44 AM.

jk

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I wonder what the single season record is?

Turn Off Ads?