Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Great control or bad plate patience?

Great control or bad plate patience?

Jayson Stark has tweeted that the Phillies walked a grand total of 0 times during their 3 game series with the Reds. That's the first time they have done that since 1927 and it was the first time the Reds have done it since 1933.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=jaysonst
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great control or bad plate patience?

Wow, cool.

They're all great Price pupils by now. When he got here they couldn't find the strike zone.

(c) Both

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-18-2013)

Stark is really good at finding trivia like that. He will usually have a year end column of trivial but amazing facts from the past season. It's really fun reading.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Nice stat there.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Stark is really good at finding trivia like that. He will usually have a year end column of trivial but amazing facts from the past season. It's really fun reading.
    I was wondering how many times a pitcher got as many hits as he also allowed in a game. I'm correct that Leake only allowed 3 hits, right? Eliminate no-hitters and 1 hitters and I'm guessing it's a rare feat.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If Narron were still here, he would've intentionally walked Ryan Howard five times.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 04-18-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

As good as the Reds (and pitchers) looked the first week of the season, they looked just as bad the second week. And as bad as the Reds (and pitchers) looked the second week of the season, they looked just as good against the Phillies.

Our location was spot on in all three games. My hunch is the Phillies bats didn't have much chance altogether.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Jayson Stark has tweeted that the Phillies walked a grand total of 0 times during their 3 game series with the Reds. That's the first time they have done that since 1927 and it was the first time the Reds have done it since 1933.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=jaysonst
    I knew it had been a long time. I mentioned this during that final game a few times. I was surprised nobody commented on it. 0 walks in a whole series just stunned me...and everybody just kind of let it slide.

I think Jayson reads Redszone and swiped my find as his own. Thief. :O)
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-18-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    If Narron were still here, he would've intentionally walked Ryan Howard five times.
    I had almost removed Jerry from my memory. Yuck. That said, it seems that he has clones in the NL. Hurdle, whoever the Marlins manager is, Matheney, etc. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, but not often does it work. Its one of the reasons (among many) why he doesn't manage anymore.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?