Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cueto to DL With Strained Lat

Re: Cueto to DL With Strained Lat

Not that I know anything you guys don't, but I'll also be surprised if it's only three or four starts. I very much hope I'm wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Cardinals have had a lot more injuries in the last few years. Players have to step up even more now. Lack of depth in the minors does not help...but who knows...maybe Cingriani will pitch like Kershaw.

3 or 4 starts considering the Reds have no off days until early May would basically only have him disabled not much over the 15 day limit. That seems extremely optimistic.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    3 or 4 starts considering the Reds have no off days until early May would basically only have him disabled not much over the 15 day limit. That seems extremely optimistic.
    I agree. And any back muscle injury isn't something you want to rush back from. Let the other guys carry it for a month or so and have Cueto work back slowly.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

With the history of the Reds medical staff I expect Cueto to be gone until the all-star break if not gone for the season.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

There are too many variables at play here... such as how severe is the strain?... to say how long he may be out. He could very well only miss 4 starts, or be out till after the AS break. It's gonna be a day-by-day, week-by-week thing, as far as assessment goes. All athletes are not created equal, and neither will their recovery times. We'll know better once he starts a throwing regime again.

The Reds will be cautious though with their Ace and not rush him. And that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    With the history of the Reds medical staff I expect Cueto to be gone until the all-star break if not gone for the season.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-every-starter

The Cincinnati Reds used to struggle mightily with injuries, having about 1,000 days lost to players on the disabled list was commonplace prior to 2010. The arrival of current athletic trainer Paul Lessard changed that, dropping the team’s averaged missed days down under 700, which puts them consistently among the best in Major League Baseball.

One of the reasons Lessard, Dr. Tim Kremchek and the rest of the Reds medical staff were presented with the Martin-Monahan Award for the best medical staff in baseball is how quickly he was able to bring the Reds not only up to average but even ahead of the curve.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-16-2013),Edd Roush (04-16-2013),jimbo (04-18-2013),kbrake (04-16-2013),LexRedsFan (04-16-2013),marcshoe (04-16-2013),oneupper (04-16-2013),Plus Plus (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There are too many variables at play here... such as how severe is the strain?... to say how long he may be out. He could very well only miss 4 starts, or be out till after the AS break. It's gonna be a day-by-day, week-by-week thing, as far as assessment goes. All athletes are not created equal, and neither will their recovery times. We'll know better once he starts a throwing regime again.

The Reds will be cautious though with their Ace and not rush him. And that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree that there are too many things we don't know. Maybe Cueto has a low pain tolerance and his injury is one that someone else would only have missed a start or two. Or the opposite could be true and Cueto is a guy who bounces back quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Not that I know anything you guys don't, but I'll also be surprised if it's only three or four starts. I very much hope I'm wrong.
    Agree wholeheartedly. While Dusty's optimism is well received, I just can't see him missing less than 6 starts. Where 36 starts on the season was originally the goal, I see 29 now,...if everything else goes well. Fortunately, the REDS are the most balanced, deepest team in the Majors, and are well prepared to handle these injuries. (my optimism).

It's nice to be back home to play baseball.

GAC's post shocked me! Thanks for sharing that, I didn't know the Reds had a real medical staff, STL has got to be one of the worst staffs in MLB.

I guess I can still hope Cueto stays out for a long time though, had to say it - just like a Reds fan would have to say that about Carp or Wainwright.

Honestly this shocks me or maybe I am just remembering prior to 2010 when it seemed every injury was worse than initially diagnosed.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

14. Likes:

Red Raindog (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    I guess I can still hope Cueto stays out for a long time though, had to say it - just like a Reds fan would have to say that about Carp or Wainwright.
    And there is nothing wrong with rivalry and friendly competition. Fans thrive on it.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly. While Dusty's optimism is well received, I just can't see him missing less than 6 starts. Where 36 starts on the season was originally the goal, I see 29 now,...if everything else goes well.
    Cueto would have been expected to make 33 starts as long as the Reds ran 5 starters in rotation like last year.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The Cincinnati Reds used to struggle mightily with injuries, having about 1,000 days lost to players on the disabled list was commonplace prior to 2010. The arrival of current athletic trainer Paul Lessard changed that, dropping the team’s averaged missed days down under 700, which puts them consistently among the best in Major League Baseball.
    That's only because they don't put hurt players on the DL, they just play short handed..

Kidding.. they have improved a lot.

Also, I think the Lindner administration pushed a lot of guys to play before they were ready (Especially Jr). This ended up making some injuries worse.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think the fewer injury days is largely because the team is churning out some homegrown talent to fill out the roster instead of signing multiple scrap heap guys who are trying to comeback from injuries they got when they were good players for somebody else. Gambling on 2 or 3 sore armed picthers will probably lead to having at least one on the 60 day DL all season. The fact that the Reds just don't do that at the major league level anymore will drive the days on the DL down quite a bit. I don't really know if the Reds Medical staff is better or worse than anyone else's, but I'd guess the fewer injury days would have happened anyway.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?