Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cueto to DL With Strained Lat

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I wonder if it has anything to do with his Luis Tiant delivery.
    The human body is not meant to throw a major league quality pitch period. That's what it has to do with. These things happen. Get well Johnny.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto to DL With Strained Lat

Watched the 5th inning again today and Cueto started feeling the pain AT LEAST 3 pitches prior to his last one. From his reactions, it certainly seemed like his back/side was hurting him quite badly. Wish he'd have stopped then.

It's really uncertain, at this point, how long JC will be on the DL because it really depends on the degree/severity of the strain. Last year Roy Halladay spent 6-7 weeks on the DL for a lat strain. Again, it depends on the severity. Rest, mild rehab, anti-inflammatory, and see where it goes. They will be cautious though.

They limited Cingrani's pitch count Sunday, so expect him to be called up.

And I'd have no problem giving the ball to LeCure either.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-15-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Unfortunately, LeCure's not taking the ball these days.

Louisville Bats

@LouisvilleBats
    Mark Prior with a strong 1, 2, 3 inning in his #Bats' debut
    8:38 p.m. Fri, Apr 5

EDIT: Opps, just saw these stats.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=407578
    Last edited by goreds2; 04-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I know next to nothing about pitching mechanics and how they effect the body, but is there any chance the twisting motion Cueto developed ala Tiant is causing some of these problems? The oblique, the lat... is it all just a coincidence, or has the development of his new mechanics also led to some physical problems?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It's really uncertain, at this point, how long JC will be on the DL because it really depends on the degree/severity of the strain. Last year Roy Halladay spent 6-7 weeks on the DL for a lat strain. Again, it depends on the severity. Rest, mild rehab, anti-inflammatory, and see where it goes. They will be cautious though.

They limited Cingrani's pitch count Sunday, so expect him to be called up.

Lecure isn't a likely starter anymore. Last year he averaged just over an inning per outing. Lifetime less than two innings per outing (over four years in the majors).

Lecure started four games in 2011; zero in 2012.

Lecure started 122 games in the minors, but those days are long gone.

And I don't think he'd hold up as a starter. Sam misses time with injuries fairly often.

The Reds should stay away from the bullpen if looking for another starter. You'll wind up with Parra, who wasn't a good starter. Or Hoover, who will take months to get stretched out.

I"m thinking Cingrani is the first and second choice. Then, if necessary, we'll see how Gallaraga and Corcino are doing at AAA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-15-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I know next to nothing about pitching mechanics and how they effect the body, but is there any chance the twisting motion Cueto developed ala Tiant is causing some of these problems? The oblique, the lat... is it all just a coincidence, or has the development of his new mechanics also led to some physical problems?

The twisting motion is really just a pre pitch thing to help him keep his front side closed longer (I assume this to be the reason anyone would do it). It really doesn't change anything with his body through the actual pitch.

I'm not a doctor but these injuries would seem to speak to a general core strength issue if anything.

Apparently this Freeman guy is the answer?

Interesting. I was expecting Cingrani and figured he was the obvious choice. Get well soon, Johnny (Please)

-The Insider-

Freeman will likely only be up a few days and then Cingrani will start in Cueto's spot.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Apparently this Freeman guy is the answer?

Interesting. I was expecting Cingrani and figured he was the obvious choice. Get well soon, Johnny (Please)
    Freeman will be up to pitch any potential garbage innings the next three nights in order to give the bullpen a rest, then he'll get sent down Thursday with Cingrani coming up. That much said, if the next three games are nail-biters then I doubt we'll see Freeman at all.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

From Reds official twitter:

Reds disable Cueto (strained right lat), promote RHP Justin Freeman (#53), transfer Ludwick to 60-day disabled list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Freeman will be up to pitch any potential garbage innings the next three nights in order to give the bullpen a rest, then he'll get sent down Thursday with Cingrani coming up. That much said, if the next three games are nail-biters then I doubt we'll see Freeman at all.
    Makes much more sense. I was confused to say the least. Thanks.

Fay is tweeting that Cueto will miss "3, 4 starts".

Unless he didn't mean to include a comma there, in which case Cueto will miss 34 starts

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This whole thing stinks to high heavens. We lose our cleanup hitter on Opening Day and lose our ace starting pitcher 11 games in. Freakin' wonderful.

I'll be shocked if Cueto only misses 3-4 starts and then comes back healthy.

Turn Off Ads?