Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The first 12 games of 2012 were worse...

The first 12 games of 2012 were worse...

Last year the first 12 games saw the Reds at 4-8, having lost two series to St.Louis and one to Washington. In that period, the Reds scored only 33 runs and giving up 39. This year, the Reds have scored over 60 runs in 12 games, but have given up 59--that's the difference. It's mostly been over the last 5 games. The bullpen in 15 innings in this last 6 games (counting the win against StL in the first game) have given up 21 hits and 14 runs.

The starters haven't been sterling either, starting with Homer and Leake. In the last 34 innings (less than 6 innings per start), they've given up 39 hits and 24 runs. Take Cueto out of that number and the ERA goes from 5.56 to almost 7! Last April we didn't hit and this April we scored runs, but the pitching is horrible. Surely this will pass.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 04-14-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The first 12 games of 2012 were worse...

Thank you sir.

Yes but we didn't lose Cueto, Ludwick and Marshall last year by this time.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    SHHHHHHHHHH!

True, but if you remember, Cueto had lost two of his starts in this time last year and Ludwick was hitting on the Interstate. Homer was iffy and Latos was having a horrible time. I hoping for Johnny back in May and for Homer and Mat to do better (ever notice that early on, having Latos go more than 6 innings is a real risk--like Arroyo, he loses it fast).

I'm also hoping that Dusty sees what's going on with his staff that he will have a quicker hook. Not only did he leave Mat in too long today, but just like yesterday, he let the relievers get pounded. But Dusty is Dusty and it won't change anything most likely. But until we totally tank, I'll still think we will win the division,
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I don't care about the record. Even losing Marshall and Ludwick isn't terrible. But, if Cueto is out 10 weeks (seems to be about standard for a Lat issue) I'm pretty concerned.

It begins to take a toll on the team. Ludwick, then Marshall and now Cueto. It's kind of like you're on the edge of a cliff. At this point they're one more serious injury away from being in pretty bad shape.

Any team that loses their ace is in trouble. Any team that loses their ace, cleanup hitter and maybe most reliable reliever. Well, good luck.

Things are so bad right now I would sign up for the WC game and be happy to play it on the road with our #5 at this point. Last year I knew we had our guys 100% and Ludwick would eventually hit after getting out of terrible hitters parks and I knew Latos wasn't as bad as he was in April.

Last year was different because the question was offense.

This year it's pitching, mostly due to injuries.

Cueto is you number 1 starter. The number 1 starter is normally the team's most important player. I think that is true for the Reds.

Marshall and Lecure are out, presumably for a short time, but their loss was already felt this week. I think the pitching staff is much weaker with these two relievers out.

So unlike last year, this year we have to focus more on the pitching staff. I think health will play a big role.

At full strength, I think this is a very solid starting staff and a superb bullpen. But without the top starter and with two good relievers out, it becomes more of a concern.

this.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I don't care about the record. Even losing Marshall and Ludwick isn't terrible. But, if Cueto is out 10 weeks (seems to be about standard for a Lat issue) I'm pretty concerned.

It begins to take a toll on the team. Ludwick, then Marshall and now Cueto. It's kind of like you're on the edge of a cliff. At this point they're one more serious injury away from being in pretty bad shape.

Any team that loses their ace is in trouble. Any team that loses their ace, cleanup hitter and maybe most reliable reliever. Well, good luck.
    also this

Reds lost Madsen, Massett, by this time, and eventually Rolen for about half the season and Votto for two months.

Every team has injuries. Championship teams deal with them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I was thinking a .500 month of April would be good. We're about there. Nothing to worry about, imo.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried. The crapshoot that is the Cardinals bullpen will keep the Reds in contention all year long until you get your players back and can go on your usual run of good ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    I was thinking a .500 month of April would be good. We're about there. Nothing to worry about, imo.
    We finished last April 11-11. This team always seems to come out of the gate slow. I don't pay too much attention to April standings. They're always kinda topsy-turvy because anymore the month of April isn't the most conducive weather-wise for playing baseball.

Ya just have to deal with the injuries and hope for the best. If some are gonna panic, you'll be in a straight jacket by August.

Do the best we can to deal with the situation(s), hold on, let the weather get warmer (some of our players will heat up too), and get some of these guys back to make that second half run!
    Last edited by GAC; 04-15-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Stat geek...and proud
    If a team can't deal with losing one member of their rotation for not even half a season (most likely) then that team just isn't good enough. One guy shouldn't make that much of a difference in that 8-10 week time frame.

Now if he's out until August or something then you have a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Turn Off Ads?