Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dozens injured in two explosions at Boston Marathon finish line

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Dozens injured in two explosions at Boston Marathon finish line

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If that bag truly disappeared, then they have got to be suspects.

But my gut reaction (I'm a believer in that - see Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink") says they are just 2 Marathon runners.
    I kinda feel the same way. And it's kinda based on the silliest evidence - mostly the half drank orange juice in the side pocket, which a lot of people were there to hand out the same thing to runners.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If that bag truly disappeared, then they have got to be suspects.

But my gut reaction (I'm a believer in that - see Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink") says they are just 2 Marathon runners.
    If this is the case it would seem to be easy enough to corroborate. I am sure they had film of everyone that crossed the finish line. Also, almost every bigger race that I ran they had people taking pictures of every runner finishing in hopes that they could sell you that picture. So, if they did run in the race, there should be photo evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    w/ no expertise, the guy in the picture on the last page doesn't appear to be holding anything terrible heavy. I don't know how much a pressure cooker filled w/ explossives and shrapnel weighs exactly, but that guy appears to be standing at ease holding his big in a position that suggests there is something light inside of it (perhaps someone's cloths, camera, car keys, etc... that he came to watch cross the finish line).

Now the guy (actually I'll say guys) in the 2nd picture at the top of this page is in a position where he could potentially be holding something of significant weight. That is exactly how you'd place your bag if you were sitting around w/ 20+ pounds in your bag. the guy that he's talking to in left side (or at least appears to be talking to) is also holding an over the shoulder bag in a position that you'd hold something of significant weight.

Of course that could just be the most comfortable position to hold the bag in both cases, and the bag could be pretty light. Whatever is in the black bag, it appears to be stuffed pretty full and is pushing something out the back.
    Hey, Medford, they are now saying both those guys in that photo are suspects. You and I should form up a detective unit.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If this is the case it would seem to be easy enough to corroborate. I am sure they had film of everyone that crossed the finish line. Also, almost every bigger race that I ran they had people taking pictures of every runner finishing in hopes that they could sell you that picture. So, if they did run in the race, there should be photo evidence.
    Agreed, Dave.

If you were one of the guys in that photo, and every media outlet in the country was saying you're a suspect, wouldn't you come forward to proclaim your innocence? You know those guys have seen the photo, or at least someone who knows them has seen it and alerted them to it. Until they come forward, I think they have to be considered suspects. Doesn't make them guilty, obviously, but it makes them highly suspicious, IMO, until proven otherwise.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Agreed, Dave.

If you were one of the guys in that photo, and every media outlet in the country was saying you're a suspect, wouldn't you come forward to proclaim your innocence? You know those guys have seen the photo, or at least someone who knows them has seen it and alerted them to it. Until they come forward, I think they have to be considered suspects. Doesn't make them guilty, obviously, but it makes them highly suspicious, IMO, until proven otherwise.
    I don't know. To be honest, I don't know that I would, even if I knew I were innocent. At least publicly. Having a lawyer make a statement for you is another thing. But going out in public is an entirely different thing because you never know what someone is going to do to you if they suspect you are the person.

7. Likes:

Chip R (04-18-2013)

The blue jacket guy did come forward on Facebook. Can't link now but gawker has the story.

And Deadspin. Apparently, the kid in the blue jacket is a 17 year old on the Revere high school track team.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Agreed, Dave.

These guys are guilty until they prove themselves innocent?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know. To be honest, I don't know that I would, even if I knew I were innocent. At least publicly. Having a lawyer make a statement for you is another thing. But going out in public is an entirely different thing because you never know what someone is going to do to you if they suspect you are the person.
    I didn't mean for them to hold a press conference. There are other avenues they could opt for if they want to dispute the accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    These guys are guilty until they prove themselves innocent?
    Umm ... you might want to re-read my post. I clearly stated it doesn't make them guilty. Good to see that one of them has spoken up, even if it is only on Facebook. Nothing from "black backpack guy" yet.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I didn't mean for them to hold a press conference. There are other avenues they could opt for if they want to dispute the accusations.
    Certainly. But as New York saw at least one instance, an "Arab looking man" got jumped and beat down shortly after the bombings. That wasn't even the same city. With photos out there showing exactly what they looked like, I would just hesitate to go out in public for anything, including going to the police station or anything like that.

Umm ... you might want to re-read my post. I clearly stated it doesn't make them guilty. Good to see that one of them has spoken up, even if it is only on Facebook. Nothing from "black backpack guy" yet.
    You said it doesn't make them guilty, but you essentially demanded they prove themselves innocent. That's not really how it should work.

I thought you were very clear in your post. However, if there's information out there that some guy may be a suspect, there are going to be a lot of people who will think that guy is guilty even if he proclaims his innocence. We see people all the time plead not guilty to things they were caught red-handed doing. If I knew I were innocent and knew I wasn't going to be charged, I'd lie low until the cops have cleared me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought you were very clear in your post. However, if there's information out there that some guy may be a suspect, there are going to be a lot of people who will think that guy is guilty even if he proclaims his innocence. We see people all the time plead not guilty to things they were caught red-handed doing. If I knew I were innocent and knew I wasn't going to be charged, I'd lie low until the cops have cleared me.
    I agree with what you guys posted. Again, I wasn't suggesting they go public. Just get in contact with the authorities and clear things up. It sounds like they've done this now, as they are no longer considered "suspicious".

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You said it doesn't make them guilty, but you essentially demanded they prove themselves innocent. That's not really how it should work.
    I may not have worded it perfectly, but I didn't demand anything. I basically just asked Dave what he'd do in that situation. Sorry for the confusion.

Turn Off Ads?