Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Really Important Stuff - Pizza & Ice Cream

Re: The Really Important Stuff - Pizza & Ice Cream

2014 Promotion - the fine print "except when the Reds play the Marlins or Cubs". Wow, over 10 k's per game in each of the past 5 games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

LaRosa's cheese always seems fall of for me but still alright.

When I was a kid I'd always get a slice of LaRosa's at Kings Island. Now I can get it in Batesville, IN, but it doesn't taste as good as it used to.

$100K worth of free pizza so far...

http://www.wlwt.com/news/sports/reds...5/-/index.html
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I worked there many years ago and it got me interested in making my own; I once calculated that between the pies I made while working at LaRosa's and in my own kitchen, I was we'll over 150,000.

LaRosa's is not in the same league with something like Dewey's, but I don't think it's a bad product, probably somewhere between the junk from Papa Johns and Dewey's. The sauce is sweet, which some people do not like (I really like it) and the dough is pretty dense, which back when I worked there was due to the fact that they made the shells at one place, froze them and distributed them to the restaurants. It's difficult to make an airy, soft dough if it's not done fresh. I think they make hand tossed now, probably recognizing that this is an evolving standard.

One thing I always liked about LaRosas was that they baked their pies on stone, rather than those stupid conveyor ovens. If it's not baked on stone, DIRECTLY on stone, its not good pizza. Last pie I had from there about five years ago was stone baked.

I have great memories of working at LaRosas. Buddy and my dad are friends and I worked at one of the original franchises, started by one of Buddy's close acquaintances from Fairmount. He fostered a great tradition of treating the restaurant like a part of the neighborhood, and he also did countless things for people, many of whom had special needs and ended up with some kind of job in the business. If you want to know why people love the pizza, look to Buddy.
    I worked at a LaRosas 10 years ago, and it was a double conveyor belt oven. You'd think they would have a standard for that sort of thing.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They not only make pizza, they make the best pizza. It is the sauce. It is just better than everywhere else. If I could get Chicago style pizza with LaRosas pizza sauce, I would be the happiest person ever (at least while eating).
    I'll agree with you on the sauce, its all I use on my lasagna, and by far my favorite that you can buy in the store. however, we'll have to agree to disagree on the pizza. Its ok (edible at best when purchased at KI, but that's an unfair comparision for any chain restaurant operating in such a place) but I can think of 10 local or chain places I'd head to for pizza before I hit larossas.

8. Likes:

Chip R (04-26-2013)

I've only had Larosa's about 4 times. Twice at the GABP stand down the third base line and a couple other times in one of the resturant locations. I notice the slices of pepperoni at the game and the pizza at the resturants were not the same. At the game the pepperoni is on top of the cheese and you basically have to fold it in half to eat it but not so in the store locations. Maybe I'm not ordering the same thing since the menu is so much larger than at the game where it's just cheese or pepperoni but I wish I could find the same on the resturant menu because I love the ball park version.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    I've only had Larosa's about 4 times. Twice at the GABP stand down the third base line and a couple other times in one of the resturant locations. I notice the slices of pepperoni at the game and the pizza at the resturants were not the same. At the game the pepperoni is on top of the cheese and you basically have to fold it in half to eat it but not so in the store locations. Maybe I'm not ordering the same thing since the menu is so much larger than at the game where it's just cheese or pepperoni but I wish I could find the same on the resturant menu because I love the ball park version.
    I'm just the opposite - like the store version vs the ballpark. Also, LaRosa's IMHO seems to taste better after its been reheated. It's the only pizza I have that's like that.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I'm just the opposite - like the store version vs the ballpark. Also, LaRosa's IMHO seems to taste better after its been reheated. It's the only pizza I have that's like that.
    I expected the resturant version to be better also but I'm not sure I've had the same thing there as at GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They not only make pizza, they make the best pizza. It is the sauce. It is just better than everywhere else. If I could get Chicago style pizza with LaRosas pizza sauce, I would be the happiest person ever (at least while eating).
    Don't know if you'd consider trying to make it yourself, and I can't believe I'm even suggesting this, but my guess is that a stupidly easy cheat to "make" a somewhat similar dough would be to squish some corn meal into that canned crescent roll dough.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?