Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 30 Day Personnel Plan If Cingrani Succeeds

Re: 30 Day Personnel Plan If Cingrani Succeeds

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If you don't make adjustments, you die.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would simplify things: IF Cingrani kicks some tail in his next 5~6 starts, then I would put Leake in the pen. And turn him into a career long man. Move the weakest man out of the pen. Case closed. This would add some depth to the pen & lets face it, Leakes stuff isn't as effective the 2nd & 3rd time thru the order.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

1 down, 3 to go.

Don't want to jinx it, but if Cingrani continues to pitch as he did last night (and he has all season), something has got to give. Best case would be if Leake keeps pitching like he did on Wednesday as well- he'd have a lot of trade value, and the Reds would have a lot of options.

Leake to BOS for Ellsbury
    Leake to SD for Venable and Hedges
    Go BLUE!!!

1 down, 3 to go.

Don't want to jinx it, but if Cingrani continues to pitch as he did last night (and he has all season), something has got to give. Best case would be if Leake keeps pitching like he did on Wednesday as well- he'd have a lot of trade value, and the Reds would have a lot of options.

Leake to BOS for Ellsbury
    Leake to SD for Venable and Hedges
    If he pitches like last night and everyone is healthy he needs to go back down to work on being more efficient with pitches. Must go more than 5 innings when only allowing one run. Maybe he was nervous and that was part of it. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    If he pitches like last night and everyone is healthy he needs to go back down to work on being more efficient with pitches. Must go more than 5 innings when only allowing one run. Maybe he was nervous and that was part of it. We will see.
    If he maintains a 1.80 ERA and averages 1.6 K/IP, he does NOT need to go back down.
    Go BLUE!!!

If he maintains a 1.80 ERA and averages 1.6 K/IP, he does NOT need to go back down.
    Those numbers are great but to truly judge a starter I think you need look at who else is having to pitch in his games. If those games continue you are going to have the likes of Simon and Hoover pitching in a lot of his games and I'm guessing the team era is not going to be as pretty as Cingranis.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Those numbers are great but to truly judge a starter I think you need look at who else is having to pitch in his games. If those games continue you are going to have the likes of Simon and Hoover pitching in a lot of his games and I'm guessing the team era is not going to be as pretty as Cingranis.
    For a #5 starter, I'll take a 5-inning 8 K, 1 ER performance every time.

For a #2 starter, it may be a different story. But for now we are just talking about this year.
    Go BLUE!!!

For a #5 starter, I'll take a 5-inning 8 K, 1 ER performance every time.

For a #2 starter, it may be a different story. But for now we are just talking about this year.
    I could see that for majority of teams in MLB. I absolutely would let him figure it out at this level. In the reds case though I like their chances of winning division with last years guys so no need to put undue stress on bullpen and then have them weak in postseason. For me I see Leake giving more innings this year. While I love Cingrani I don't see him as a finished product and that's what this team wants this season. Fewest question marks. This is off one MLB start though maybe Price will have him more efficient next time.

10. Likes:

redsfandan (04-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Because only once in Heisey's career has he had more than 60 PA's in back-to-back months, and it was much fewer than 80 PA's. That's about 3/5th's of a Spring Training Starters' Plate Appearances in March. And, only one other time has Heisey had more than 50 PA's in back-to-back months. Heisey's best plate appearances of his career are ahead of him, not behind him. Dusty knows this. Walt knows this. Heisey has never been given a legitimate chance to see what he can do, yet. Heisey is not "what he is". You have yet to see the best of Chris Heisey.

If you panic in April, you won't be around in September.
    4 days later, do you really still feel this way?

Chris Heisey has had 68 PA this year. He is batting .175 with a .475 OPS.
    Last year, he had a sub-.700 OPS in more than 250 PA as a starter.

He is what he is, and he is NOT a starting OF on a championship ballclub.
    Go BLUE!!!

My vote would be to put Cingrani in the pen and send Parra somewhere, anywhere.

Cingrani stays with the club to help a somewhat shaky pen. No telling what will happen with Marshall the rest of the season. Cingrani may be needed as a reliable left hander.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Because only once in Heisey's career has he had more than 60 PA's in back-to-back months, and it was much fewer than 80 PA's. That's about 3/5th's of a Spring Training Starters' Plate Appearances in March. And, only one other time has Heisey had more than 50 PA's in back-to-back months. Heisey's best plate appearances of his career are ahead of him, not behind him. Dusty knows this. Walt knows this. Heisey has never been given a legitimate chance to see what he can do, yet. Heisey is not "what he is". You have yet to see the best of Chris Heisey.

If you panic in April, you won't be around in September.
    I disagree on Heisey, I would replace him with a veteran hitter and also keep XPaul. I don't think Heisey has a successful approach at the plate.

But I'm posting to object to the concept of "panic." Why is it panic to make a move and adjust early in the season? Can anyone fairly say it is a panic move to replace Chris Heisey?

Trading Jay Bruce because he hasn't hit RHP this month would be a panic move. Trading Broxton because he had one bad inning would be a panic move.

Trading or replacing a marginal player with a different player is not a panic move, but an attempt to improve now that the regular LFer is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I disagree on Heisey, I would replace him with a veteran hitter and also keep XPaul. I don't think Heisey has a successful approach at the plate.

But I'm posting to object to the concept of "panic." Why is it panic to make a move and adjust early in the season? Can anyone fairly say it is a panic move to replace Chris Heisey?

Trading Jay Bruce because he hasn't hit RHP this month would be a panic move. Trading Broxton because he had one bad inning would be a panic move.

Trading or replacing a marginal player with a different player is not a panic move, but an attempt to improve now that the regular LFer is injured.
    It's only a panic move if the price paid is way out of line. I wouldn't dismantle the rotation depth by dealing Leake for a stopgap in LF. If the team could deal a couple of minor leaguers (but not top 5 prospects) for a guy in the last year of his deal, it's not a panic move at all. Of course, I just don't think those deals will be available until June or July.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    My vote would be to put Cingrani in the pen and send Parra somewhere, anywhere.

Cingrani stays with the club to help a somewhat shaky pen. No telling what will happen with Marshall the rest of the season. Cingrani may be needed as a reliable left hander.
    I would prefer to avoid losing another starting pitcher because the bullpen could use an arm.

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    I would simplify things: IF Cingrani kicks some tail in his next 5~6 starts, then I would put Leake in the pen. And turn him into a career long man. Move the weakest man out of the pen. Case closed. This would add some depth to the pen & lets face it, Leakes stuff isn't as effective the 2nd & 3rd time thru the order.
    Isn't it the opposite? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I feel like Leake often gives up early runs and then hunkers down. If he doesn't give up early runs he seems to pitch well throughout the game. I would think someone like Bronson Arroyo would do better in the pen than someone like Leake -- he seems to be the opposite (probably because he relies so much on deceptive pitches).
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Isn't it the opposite? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I feel like Leake often gives up early runs and then hunkers down. If he doesn't give up early runs he seems to pitch well throughout the game. I would think someone like Bronson Arroyo would do better in the pen than someone like Leake -- he seems to be the opposite (probably because he relies so much on deceptive pitches).
    Pretty much no one is better the second and third time around. Leake actually does do a slightly better job facing same batter a second time in the game. Third time is really ugly.

Career splits by OPS;

1st PA .722
    2nd PA .712
    3rd PA .868

NL splits for starters last season by OPS;

1st PA .695
    2nd PA .734
    3rd PA .775

Turn Off Ads?