Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Loria right about Miami...and other random thoughts...

Was Loria right about Miami...and other random thoughts...

After getting what seemed like all of Miami's talent with the exception of Stanton, Toronto is struggling mightily right now. 7 games under .500 and a bunch of games out. Oh and they are 7 games under even on a 4 game winning streak.

So is it possible Loria was at least partially right? I mean Miami was lousy last year, and a bunch of the guys that were supposed to make Miami a WS contender last year are on the last place Blue Jays roster.

Hmmm....

And I wanted to hear from people here who you think has been the biggest smelL.A disaster so far, the Dodgers or Angels.

They both had huge offseasons and the Dodgers are in last place and Anaheim would be in last if they weren't fortunate enough to have AA Houston in their division.

Hamilton has been abysmal.

I must admit it has been a lot of fun watching these three overhyped teams-L.A.A, L.A.D and Toronto fizzle early on.
    Last edited by Red Buckeye; 05-17-2013 at 09:54 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Was Loria right about Miami...and other random thoughts...

Jose Reyes has been injured most of the year, as has a number of Toronto's starting pitchers.

Unless Loria predicted these injuries, he's proven nothing.

BTW, Tony Larussa spoke at a dinner in Calgary last night. He said Toronto will be just fine, especially when Fernandez comes back?

But Miami was horrible last year. So why would Miami fans be excited about a crummy team returning? What made people think these guys would suddenly turn into a WS team when they finished terrible last year?

All i know is that Miami is one sad stadium. We were watching Wednesday night's game. One of the Reds fouled off a ball that landed in the 2nd row behind 3rd base. We were able to count one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three before someone made it out of their seats, ran down to the empty section to pick the ball up off the ground.

After Bruce hit that double in the 10th last night, there must have been around 1,500 people left to see the Marlins hit in the bottom of the inning.

I don't know if he gets credit for dumping bums that he signed to big $ contracts in the first place. Maybe credit for damage control, but not much else.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    All i know is that Miami is one sad stadium. We were watching Wednesday night's game. One of the Reds fouled off a ball that landed in the 2nd row behind 3rd base. We were able to count one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three before someone made it out of their seats, ran down to the empty section to pick the ball up off the ground.

After Bruce hit that double in the 10th last night, there must have been around 1,500 people left to see the Marlins hit in the bottom of the inning.
    Not to mention ugly and tacky. They really went out of their way to make it an eyesore.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know if he gets credit for dumping bums that he signed to big $ contracts in the first place. Maybe credit for damage control, but not much else.
    Exactly.

It really doesn't matter if Reyes/Buehrle/Johnson were all-stars this season or continue to underperfom, it was the act itself of signing them to huge deals and then trading them away within a year that defined Loria as an owner.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The only thing Loria has ever been right about anything baseball related was that the atmosphere to fleece communities out of the their teams and money was ripe in the current MLB landscape.

10. Likes:

pahster (05-17-2013),Revering4Blue (05-19-2013),savafan (05-18-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (05-18-2013),traderumor (05-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Jose Reyes has been injured most of the year, as has a number of Toronto's starting pitchers.

BTW, Tony Larussa spoke at a dinner in Calgary last night. He said Toronto will be just fine, especially when Fernandez comes back?
    In fairness, Loria (or whomever in their braintrust) guessing that Reyes is somewhat fragile is entirely possible. I don't think Reyes is exactly an ironman in any event...and, as others have pointed out, they did sign him in the first instance, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    After getting what seemed like all of Miami's talent with the exception of Stanton, Toronto is struggling mightily right now. 7 games under .500 and a bunch of games out. Oh and they are 7 games under even on a 4 game winning streak.

So is it possible Loria was at least partially right? I mean Miami was lousy last year, and a bunch of the guys that were supposed to make Miami a WS contender last year are on the last place Blue Jays roster.
    You cannot say Loria was right when it was Loria who killed it to begin with. You are not going to get people's money if you don't try. Loria has spent so many years screwing Miami over that people have quit even bothering trying to care for the team. He has used that franchise and Montreal to line his pockets and not give 1 cent back to the people who lined his pockets. He is the worst form of scum in professional sports right now and if Bud Selig had any guts he'd tell this clown to kma and strip him of the team and either a start over in Miami or b put an ownership group together that wants to put a major league caliber product on the field every year.

Dodgers, Angels biggest disappointment? You could argue either way Dodgers got a ton of age that failed in Boston last year and the Angels threw Ft. Knox at free agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

13. Likes:

REDREAD (05-17-2013)

I guess what I am getting at here is last year Loria and company went all in by signing all the big name F.A's. Many experts picked Miami to win the W.S last season.

They went all in and failed miserably.

Now that they have dumped all these guys to Toronto, Toronto isn't very good and Miami continues to struggle.

It seems like Loria went all in last year. When it didn't work there was no point to keep holding on to a pipe dream. I don't know what other option Miami had but to start from scratch and rebuild.

I don't like Loria and think he is a bad owner, it just seems like maybe it wasn't as cynical of a move as it initially appeared to be. I mean even if he would have kept all of those guys it doesn't appear it would have made Miami a good team. Maybe a few more wins than last season but if you are far away from the playoffs it isn't such a bad idea to start fresh and rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

But if these are so good why did Miami stink last year? Why would they suddenly be great simply by changing uniforms? I know the old saying "change of scenery" in meaning a new team can give a guy a fresh start, but Miami traded away a bunch of guys, not just one, from a last place team.

But if these are so good why did Miami stink last year? Why would they suddenly be great simply by changing uniforms? I know the old saying "change of scenery" in meaning a new team can give a guy a fresh start, but Miami traded away a bunch of guys, not just one, from a last place team.
    Jose Reyes was not the reason the Fish were bad last season.

Maybe a few more wins than last season but if you are far away from the playoffs it isn't such a bad idea to start fresh and rebuild.
    But when that is EVERY YEAR you cannot grow a franchise when you keep no one of any notoriety. Ask the average MLB fan and I'm sure they could name at least 8 guys from their team, ask the average Miami fan and they probably couldn't name 8 if you let them use Stanton 5 times. Loria uses the Marlins as his own personal piggy bank. Taking all that money MLB sends him to just line his pockets, used the city to get a new stadium to further line his pockets, and doesn't put a thing back in the club. As I've said before if Bud had any balls he'd strip the Marlins from Loria.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Exactly.

It really doesn't matter if Reyes/Buehrle/Johnson were all-stars this season or continue to underperfom, it was the act itself of signing them to huge deals and then trading them away within a year that defined Loria as an owner.
    Right. And he has no cause for it performance wise because Reyes/Buehrle/Johnson were almost exactly the guys that their career numbers said they would be last season.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?