Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Cingrani up for good?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep - Mike Leake should be concerned

26 38.24%
  • Nope - Within a month we'll be back to status quo

34 50.00%
  • Up For Good, but maybe in the 'pen when Cueto comes back

8 11.76%

Thread: Tony Cingrani - Up For Good?

Tony Cingrani - Up For Good?

Will Tony Cingrani stick with the Reds?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Tony Cingrani - Up For Good?

I voted the "maybe the pen" option, iff Marshall's absence is longer than expected, which I am bracing myself for.

If he is lights-out while Leake throws up a few stinkers (along with Marshall making his return) all bets are off.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

I imagine he's up for good, but I doubt Leake is in trouble. Cueto will probably be injured longer the expected, and someone else will probably get injured.

Based on what I saw on MILB.com this year, Cingrani's ready.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-16-2013)

While there's a chance Cingrani could replace Leake I'm betting against it. Arroyo could be gone after this year and Cingrani won't be able to take up both spots in the rotation. They'll keep working with Leake so he can stick. Leake would probably have to be worse than he is now for there to be a change. Although for all we know Cingrani might be up for more than just a month. The eta for Cueto's return is only a guess and, even when he's back, Cingrani could be needed to fill in for someone else. But, I doubt Cingrani will see much time in the bullpen until Aug/Sept.

I am praying that Marshal's injury is not very serious (If so, I agree, Cingrani to the pen makes sense).

I'd prefer to let Cingrani spend the whole season in AAA and work on his secondary pitches. I hope that Louisville tells him to stop throwing 80-90% fastballs.

Next year, we might be forced to have Cingrani in the rotation (if Arroyo leaves), so let's get that development time in at AAA.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

He'll probably end up in the pen when Cueto gets back, but I voted rotation. I think we could use a guy like Leake in the pen more effectively than Cingrani if he's ready for this level. Starters are always more valuable.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Let say over 4 starts Cingrani goes Jose Fernandez on everyone. Does that change anything? The Reds already burned an option year, and if he is one of the best 5 SP, play ball.

There's no way I would put him in the bullpen. The odds are, Cueto won't be the last starter to get hurt this year. Need to keep him or Leake stretched out in AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'll take "None of the Above" - I don't think he's necessarily up for the year, but I don't think he's going back in a month. I agree with others that it's doubtful they'd move him to the pen.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I really think it depends on how he pitches. If he pitches really good, then I could see him staying in the rotation, probably replacing Leake. I doubt he goes to the pen tho. Just my opinion tho!!

He's a rookie. Unless we have an extended outage, or he literally allows zero runs in his 2-4 starts, he is going back down as soon as Cueto is ready again. This is Dusty we're talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    He's a rookie. Unless we have an extended outage, or he literally allows zero runs in his 2-4 starts, he is going back down as soon as Cueto is ready again. This is Dusty we're talking about here.
    Dusty Baker who has been nothing but supportive of all the young players he's managed on the Reds or the Dusty of lore who has vet love? Haven't seen that guy hardly at all here in Cincinnati.

I agree with your first part. I don't see Cingrani staying once Cueto's ready unless he's lights out and forces their hand. But that's got nothing to do with the mirage known as Dusty's vet love. I thought we put that baby to bed a couple of years ago.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I think he's going back in less than a month. If that changes, it would have more to do with Marshall and/or Cueto's availability than it would anything to do with his results.

part of BBN

If Cingrani pitches well and Leake continues on his path, I could see Leake going to BP when Cueto comes back.
    It would be silly to me, sending TC back to Louisville or the BP if he is having success and Leake having a 5 ERA. Now if Cingrani struggles, thats a different story.

Turn Off Ads?