Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

  1. #1
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,480

    Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    I would just like to say a new MiLB.com feature is great. You can pull up a scoreboard by Major League affiliation. It shows all the minor league games for the Reds on one page. There is also a calendar feature that allows you to see what the Reds' farm teams did on any particular date. Nice.

    Louisville - Armando Galarraga goes for the Bats tonight. He has pitched well in his two previous starts. 10.2IP 11H 3ER 5BB 11K 2.53 ERA. His mound opponent looks like Scott Kazmir, who will be makes his initial 2013 start. Louisville will be at Columbus. Game time is 6:35 EDT.

    Pensacola will host Jacksonville at 8:00 EDT. Daniel Renken takes the ball. This will be just his second start of the season. His first outing was impressive. 7IP 4H 1ER 2BB 5K 1.29 ERA.

    Bakersfield hosts the Inland Empire at 7:15 EDT. Pitcher listed is that old standby - TBD. Tanner Robles made his third start on Sunday and each time was followed by Carlos Contreras. Not sure what, if anything, is going on.
    If it is Contreras he has pitched well in the early going. 9.2IP 6H 2ER 4BB 13K 1.86 ERA. He is converting to starter from reliever so maybe they are keeping his innings down? Trivia note: Infielder Sammy Diaz pitched a scoreless ninth inning on Sunday.

    Dayton has the evening off.

    The sticks have been in a system-wide funk in the early going. Team numbers.
    Louisville - .194/.275/.331/.606 2.82 RPG.
    Pensacola - .214/.298/.327/.625 2.50 RPG.
    Bakersfield - .200/.262/.304/.566 2.82 RPG.
    Dayton - .183/.251/.260/.512 320 RPG.

    Kinda makes you wonder if Juan Castro was hired as roving hitting instructor.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-15-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    455

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I would just like to say a new MiLB.com feature is great. You can pull up a scoreboard by Major League affiliation. It shows all the minor league games for the Reds on one page. There is also a calendar feature that allows you to see what the Reds' farm teams did on any particular date. Nice.

    Louisville - Armando Galarraga goes for the Bats tonight. He has pitched well in his two previous starts. 10.2IP 11H 3ER 5BB 11K 2.53 ERA. His mound opponent looks like Scott Kazmir, who will be makes his initial 2013 start. Louisville will be at Columbus. Game time is 6:35 EDT.

    Pensacola will host Jacksonville at 8:00 EDT. Daniel Renken takes the ball. This will be just his second start of the season. His first outing was impressive. 7IP 4H 1ER 2BB 5K 1.29 ERA.

    Bakersfield hosts the Inland Empire at 7:15 EDT. Pitcher listed is that old standby - TBD. Tanner Robles made his third start on Sunday and each time was followed by Carlos Contreras. Not sure what, if anything, is going on.
    If it is Contreras he has pitched well in the early going. 9.2IP 6H 2ER 4BB 13K 1.86 ERA. He is converting to starter from reliever so maybe they are keeping his innings down? Trivia note: Infielder Sammy Diaz pitched a scoreless ninth inning on Sunday.

    Dayton has the evening off.

    The sticks have been in a system-wide funk in the early going. Team numbers.
    Louisville - .194/.275/.331/.606 2.82 RPG.
    Pensacola - .214/.298/.327/.625 2.50 RPG.
    Bakersfield - .200/.262/.304/.566 2.82 RPG.
    Dayton - .183/.251/.260/.512 320 RPG.

    Kinda makes you wonder if Juan Castro was hired as roving hitting instructor.
    Reminds me of the Padres orgianization when they werer associated with the Mobile Baybears. Bill said Pensacola to be patient because we will not see any impact position players for awhile.....
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,778

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

    Bakersfield hosts the Inland Empire at 7:15 EDT. Pitcher listed is that old standby - TBD. Tanner Robles made his third start on Sunday and each time was followed by Carlos Contreras. Not sure what, if anything, is going on.
    If it is Contreras he has pitched well in the early going. 9.2IP 6H 2ER 4BB 13K 1.86 ERA. He is converting to starter from reliever so maybe they are keeping his innings down?
    Bakersfield is slow to update their probables. That is like all that is going on.

  5. #4
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,480

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Hamilton leads off with a bunt single. Jason Donald singles sending Hamilton to third. Donald is out at second. Rodriguez and Hessman whiff.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  6. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,778

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Hamilton leads off with a bunt single. Jason Donald singles sending Hamilton to third. Donald is out at second. Rodriguez and Hessman whiff.
    Hamilton's bunt was with 2 strikes and what I call a "Norris Hopper special". It was hard enough to get by the pitcher and at the angle to get both the second baseman and first baseman to try and field it. If you are even close to fast, there is no defense for it. That it came with two strikes made it even better.

    Donald caught some tough luck. He hit it into the gap and the center fielder grabbed it going toward right field (away from the bag), so he went for two. Unfortunately for Donald the center field merely knocked the ball with his glove to the right fielder who was backing him up and coming toward the bag. Good throw, right on line and he was out by 5+ feet. Just poor luck on the play. If the center fielder fields the ball cleanly, no way he gets thrown out.

  7. #6
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,480

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Scott Kazmir looking good. He has K'd five of the last eight batters he has faced. Galarraga matching him zero for zero so far.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,778

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Dave are you watching the game or just following along the box score/radio/gameday?

  9. #8
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,480

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dave are you watching the game or just following along the box score/radio/gameday?
    Gameday. I am watching the Reds.

    Jason Donald with his second hit of the game. He is erased on a double play off the bat of Henry Rodriguez.
    Galarraga gives up a cheap run in the bottom of the fourth. Two walks. A potential double play ball on which there were two throwing errors. Chang and Soto.


    Soto reaches on an error. Felix Perez singles to center. First and second with nobody out. Phipps singles to load them up. Corky Miller grounds into a double play but a run scores to tie the game at one. Okay they changed the run against Christiani to unearned. One down, one to go.

    This seems odd. Galarraga was only at 53 pitches per GameDay and he comes out of a 1-1 game in the fifth. Nick Christiani takes over pitching duties. Actually, I missed this. Christiani came on with two outs in the fourth.

    Christiani allows a run on two singles and a two-out error by Billy Hamilton. GameDay has me scratching my head. Both runs scored by the Clippers should be unearned. But they are both showing up as being earned in the score box. Christiani gives up a 2-run blast in the bottom of the sixth. 4-1 ClipJoints.

    Bats go silently in the 7th. Wilkin De La Rosa comes on and walks two of the first three batters he faces. He retires the next to. 4-1 still. Columbus. Clay Hensley pitches a scoreless 8th.

    Louisville hitters call it a night after five innings. One unearned run on five singles. Bats lose 4-1.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-15-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  10. #9
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,480

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Renken has hurled two shutout innings. Blue Fish hitters have gone six up and six down. No score after two. Renken went 5.2 scoreless innings. He wasn't dominant but did the job. He gave up five hits, walked three and struck out just two. Josh Ravin wobbled for an inning and a third. He gave up
    a hit and two walks and struck out nobody. Loek Van Mil hurled a hitless pair. No runs allowed.

    Pensacola has five hits, all singles. Bryson Smith a pair along with single safeties by Vidal, Lohman and LaMarre. No score with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.

    Free baseball in Pensacola if anyone wants some. Curtis Partch was perfect in his inning of work, striking out. Speaking of 'partch'ed. Pensacola is up in the bottom half of the 10th.

    We are reaching the point where Women's International Softball rules will kick in. Each team will start their half of the inning with a runner on second base in an effort to break this scoreless hot mess. Pensacola went down 1-2-3 in the time it took me to type those two sentences. On to the 11th.

    Heading out for a glass of water. Should be well into the 13th inning by the time I return.

    Pensacola brought in their brought in their fifth pitcher of the night in the top of the 11th. Chris went Manno a mano against Kyle Jensen and came out second best as Jensen touched them all. 'Hoo trail 1-zip. Jacksonville still batting. Manno struck out the side around two singles and a home run. Pensacola girding their loins for the home half of the 11th. Nothing doing for Pensacola as they fall 1-0 in extras.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-15-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  11. #10
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,778

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Galarraga looked like he had a blister. The trainer came out and was looking at his fingers. Galarraga was pointing out things on his fingers.

  12. #11
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,480

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Bakersfield just getting underway. Carlos Contreras is indeed on the hill for the 1-10 Blaze. CC sets them down in 1-2-3 fashion with one strike out.
    Sammy Diaz led of the game with a double but the Blaze couldn't get him around. Contreras walked a batter but struck out a couple in the second.
    Juan Silverio has been moved up to the 3-spot. Bakersfield goes quietly - is there any other way? - in the second.

    The Inland Empire attacks first in the top of the third, launching one over the wall. They lead 1-0. Contreras has struck out four through three.

    Bakersfield erupts for three in the fourth. Wright walked and Duran singled him to third. One run scored on a Kyle Waldrop ground ball. Yorman Rodriguez came to the plate and lifted a 355 foot can of corn to center. Fortunately for Yorman the center field wall is just 354 feet away from home plate. So his can of corn resulted in a two-run blast.

    Contreras has 7Ks in five frames. Blaze lead 3-1.

    Ryan Wright, Juan Silva and Dominic D'Anna have added singles along the way.

    Carlos Contreras has just chalked up the first Blaze quality start of 2012. He has worked six and given up a lone tally. He has allowed two hits, walked a couple of 66ers and struck out 8th.

    Alexander Burkhard - 6'8" - just fanned 6'7" Juan Duran.

    It is Carl's Jrs. Dollar Monday. Dollar dogs tonight. Yum!

    It is Yorman's night for sure. He hits a another pop fly to center. On this particular play the Empire center fielder broke back on and then could not recover in time. It landed softly for a double.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-15-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    455

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    If you ever wanted to see how difficult the jump from High A to Double is for hitters, watch Theo Bowe. He is overmatched in just about every at bat.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

  14. #13
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hamilton's bunt was with 2 strikes and what I call a "Norris Hopper special". It was hard enough to get by the pitcher and at the angle to get both the second baseman and first baseman to try and field it. If you are even close to fast, there is no defense for it. That it came with two strikes made it even better.

    Donald caught some tough luck. He hit it into the gap and the center fielder grabbed it going toward right field (away from the bag), so he went for two. Unfortunately for Donald the center field merely knocked the ball with his glove to the right fielder who was backing him up and coming toward the bag. Good throw, right on line and he was out by 5+ feet. Just poor luck on the play. If the center fielder fields the ball cleanly, no way he gets thrown out.
    Bunting with two strikes!? If he does that and it doesn't work, we're all talking about how dumb that is. He's fast enough where he needs to perfect the art of the "swinging bunt" just in case he fouls it off. Can't have a guy bunting with two strikes in the Big Leagues. That's bush league as hell. And you won't find a bigger Billy Hamilton fan than me. We can all agree we'd be ripping him for bunting with two strikes if he did that with the Reds and it didn't work, right?

  15. #14
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    If you ever wanted to see how difficult the jump from High A to Double is for hitters, watch Theo Bowe. He is overmatched in just about every at bat.
    He's not the best example considering he never put up good numbers at low-A Dayton, then suddenly exploded with a big year at Bakersfield after getting a promotion last season. I haven't looked at the numbers like BABIP, but I would venture to guess his 2012 season was based on a lot of good luck. One-year wonder much like Phipps was in 2011 (well, Phipps was a half-year wonder).

  16. #15
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,778

    Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/15/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Bunting with two strikes!? If he does that and it doesn't work, we're all talking about how dumb that is. He's fast enough where he needs to perfect the art of the "swinging bunt" just in case he fouls it off. Can't have a guy bunting with two strikes in the Big Leagues. That's bush league as hell. And you won't find a bigger Billy Hamilton fan than me. We can all agree we'd be ripping him for bunting with two strikes if he did that with the Reds and it didn't work, right?
    If it doesn't work, sure. Heck, even if it does work, it is a bad move. But in the minor leagues, he may have some sort of "bunt this many times" mandate and chose to use one there.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25