Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we fire Dusty now?

Re: Can we fire Dusty now?

No guarantee that Revere even bats there if we walk Utley. Also, even though he can't hit HRs, he can hit doubles which would tie the game after a walk.

If anything, it shows the need for Marshall. I think they would have trusted him with Utley in that spot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    Never put the go ahead run at the plate or the tying on base. Pretty much baseball 101. Unless Pujols is coming to the plate.
    you are correct, that is baseball 101.....but just like any unwritten baseball scheme, you always have situations where you go against the grain...for instance walking Barry bonds with the bases loaded when your up 3....and in this case of walking chase or bringing in chapman to face chase, you HAVE to do one or the other......

several here can vouch for me on this....I have complained for about 3 years now that Dusty refuses to use his closers for anything other than the 9th inning....that is pure and complete utter ignorance....your closer is the closer for one reason and one reason only, to close out the game and assure a win when you have the lead.....why in gods creation would Dusty not want to bring your lights out lefty closer in to face a lefty in the 8th inning??? its no different than him pitching to a few extra hitters in the 9th as opposed to him going 1-2-3 in the 9th....yes he has to get warm then sit for bottom half of the inning and he "might" have to bat....but you have the lead, so what if he is forced to bat.

Dusty has to change his theory on this situation, its hurt us in the past and it will hurt us in the future, simple as that......but we won so its all good....but that might not be the case next time...

for the record, I was the biggest dusty hater his first 2 years and I have grown to like him and I have grown to trust that he is the guy that will lead this team to a World Series Title....but he must evolve with the game.

Dusty is going nowhere.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    you are correct, that is baseball 101.....but just like any unwritten baseball scheme, you always have situations where you go against the grain...for instance walking Barry bonds with the bases loaded when your up 3....and in this case of walking chase or bringing in chapman to face chase, you HAVE to do one or the other......
    Please do not confuse UTLEY with BONDS lol. Nobody in their right mind purposely puts the go-ahead run to the plate in the 8th inning... unless BONDS (the larger head one) or RUTH are hitting.

A manager wants to switch pitchers last night, then no problem from me. You want to allow the go-ahead run to bat in the 8th inning with an IBB before him, then find a new career.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Please do not confuse UTLEY with BONDS lol. Nobody in their right mind purposely puts the go-ahead run to the plate in the 8th inning... unless BONDS (the larger head one) or RUTH are hitting.

A manager wants to switch pitchers last night, then no problem from me. You want to allow the go-ahead run to bat in the 8th inning with an IBB before him, then find a new career.
    You take Arroyo pitching to Utley with one on. I will take Chapman pitching to Revere with 2 on. I like my chances of succeeding more often than you.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I bring in Chapman to face Utley.

Dusty watches the wheels fall off. The wheels everyone else in the world already see coming off.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    You take Arroyo pitching to Utley with one on. I will take Chapman pitching to Revere with 2 on. I like my chances of succeeding more often than you.
    Why walk Utley?!? Bring Chapman in to pitch when they announce Utley as the hitter. Then Manuel probably takes down Utley to bring in a RH hitter to face Chapman. Then you have the tying run at the plate and not the go-ahead run! Sounds simple and less risky; hence, the reason MLB managers do it 99.8% of the time (big-headed BONDS and RUTH get the 0.2% factor lol). Or LH Utley faces LH Chapman and probably looks foolish.

You obviously have zero respect for Revere as a hitter. But what if Manuel PHs for him with two men on? Then you have the same RH pinch-hitter as described above, but as the go-ahead run instead of the tying run.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

You can make a legitimate argument to bring in Chapman, but anyone seriously arguing that the manager should have put the tying run on base just looks foolish.

jvs

Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    You can make a legitimate argument to bring in Chapman, but anyone seriously arguing that the manager should have put the tying run on base just looks foolish.

jvs
    I agree - you definitely do not walk the tying run. Chapman has to be in the game at the point.

Has anyone ever asked Dusty why Chapman can only pitch the 9th? Why not bring him to face Utley and still pitch the ninth.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    Has anyone ever asked Dusty why Chapman can only pitch the 9th? Why not bring him to face Utley and still pitch the ninth.
    If anyone were to ask Dusty this question his answer would be "he is the closer."

After this answer Redszone would explode.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Why walk Utley?!? Bring Chapman in to pitch when they announce Utley as the hitter. Then Manuel probably takes down Utley to bring in a RH hitter to face Chapman. Then you have the tying run at the plate and not the go-ahead run! Sounds simple and less risky; hence, the reason MLB managers do it 99.8% of the time (big-headed BONDS and RUTH get the 0.2% factor lol). Or LH Utley faces LH Chapman and probably looks foolish.

You obviously have zero respect for Revere as a hitter. But what if Manuel PHs for him with two men on? Then you have the same RH pinch-hitter as described above, but as the go-ahead run instead of the tying run.

Bringing in Chapman to face Utley would have been my first move, and was the obvious move. For some reason I thought I addressed that earlier.

Edit: I did address this in my 2nd post of this thread.

good time to PLUNK Utley if you ask me.

You don't have to IW him but you certainly don't give him anything up that can be hit. That is on the pitcher and catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    good time to PLUNK Utley if you ask me.

You don't have to IW him but you certainly don't give him anything up that can be hit. That is on the pitcher and catcher.
    How do you figure this would be a good time hit a batter? He did nothing wrong and all that would do is probably fire up the rest of the team. Maybe even the next inning they hit votto in the eye and end his season. How is hitting a batter in this scenario better than just walking him?

Affable Opponent

As a Cardinals fan, I hope Dusty retires in Cincy. Don Tony is still in Dusty's head even in the 2nd year of his retirement.

Turn Off Ads?