Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 441

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member smixsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,169

    Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    I'm totally amazed at how much Jay has improved in his situational hitting. He's going the other way like crazy, putting in tough professional at bat after tough professional at bat. Me likey! This bodes well for our Reds! ......Especially in the post season.

  2. #2
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,402

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    I like Jay Bruce when he's not SLG .345.

    But that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  3. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (04-16-2013), AtomicDumpling (04-16-2013), dfs (04-16-2013), Spider Tre (04-17-2013)

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    301

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I like Jay Bruce when he's not SLG .345.

    But that's just me.

    Agreed. Hopefully he can get to somewhere in the middle.

  5. #4
    Member smixsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    The HRs will come as the pitchers get tired of him beating them silly to left field. He's doing it exactly right at the moment.

  6. Likes:

    _Sir_Charles_ (04-16-2013)

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    163

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    The HRs will come as the pitchers get tired of him beating them silly to left field. He's doing it exactly right at the moment.
    He has done this in the past and then proceeded to go to pulling off of everything for a couple months. I'm not going to claim he has learned to hit like a professional until he does this for a whole first half.

  8. #6
    Member smixsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    He has done this in the past and then proceeded to go to pulling off of everything for a couple months. I'm not going to claim he has learned to hit like a professional until he does this for a whole first half.
    Fair enough. I'm very optimistic about it though.

  9. #7
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,314

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    The HRs will come as the pitchers get tired of him beating them silly to left field. He's doing it exactly right at the moment.
    So in your mind because Bruce dropped a couple singles into LF pitchers are going to say "Well, damn, I can't have that, I better give him a pitch he can drive"?

  10. Likes:

    Ghosts of 1990 (04-16-2013)

  11. #8
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,402

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Jay Bruce has a .626 OPS right now. Opposing pitchers would love for him to continue to hit like he is.

    I love Bruce, but I hope the noise of him needing to go the other way isn't making him change his approach that much. I understand wanting to be more consistent, but he's at his best when he's turning on balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  12. Likes:

    ervinsm84 (04-16-2013), Razor Shines (04-16-2013), RedEye (04-16-2013)

  13. #9
    Member smixsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Jay Bruce has a .626 OPS right now. Opposing pitchers would love for him to continue to hit like he is.

    I love Bruce, but I hope the noise of him needing to go the other way isn't making him change his approach that much. I understand wanting to be more consistent, but he's at his best when he's turning on balls.
    You just don't get it. He's not going to change his approach, and he's going to have better numbers in every area---including slugging, HRs and RBIs.

    His slugging numbers aren't low because he changed his approach, they're low because he started so slow (before changing his approach and heating up).

  14. #10
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,314

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    You just don't get it. He's not going to change his approach, and he's going to have better numbers in every area---including slugging, HRs and RBIs.

    His slugging numbers aren't low because he changed his approach, they're low because he started so slow (before changing his approach and heating up).
    See Reds44, he didn't change his approach until after he changed his approach. Duh.

  15. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (04-16-2013), Homer Bailey (04-16-2013)

  16. #11
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,402

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    You just don't get it. He's not going to change his approach, and he's going to have better numbers in every area---including slugging, HRs and RBIs.

    His slugging numbers aren't low because he changed his approach, they're low because he started so slow (before changing his approach and heating up).
    Jay Bruce has 5 extra base hits this year. 60% of them were in his first 4 games. He's 13-40 (.325) since then, with only 2 extra base hits. He's slugging so low because he's not hitting extra base hits.

    All of these numbers means absolutely nothing and he'll likely go on to have a very Jay Bruce year.

    In fact, the notion he started slow isn't even really true. Do you think he changed his approach after 13 ABs? There's not a chance. He started 1-13, then went 10-21.

    My point? My point is, he probably hasn't really changed anything.

    The thought that pitchers are going to give Bruce pitches to drive because they're tired of him being a .255 hitter with no power is just inaccurate, though. The notion that he's "become a professional hitter" now I just don't agree with.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-16-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  17. Likes:

    Nasty_Boy (04-16-2013)

  18. #12
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,553

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Jay Bruce has 5 extra base hits this year. 60% of them were in his first 4 games. He's 13-40 (.325) since then, with only 2 extra base hits. He's slugging so low because he's not hitting extra base hits.

    All of these numbers means absolutely nothing and he'll likely go on to have a very Jay Bruce year.

    In fact, the notion he started slow isn't even really true. Do you think he changed his approach after 13 ABs? There's not a chance. He started 1-13, then went 10-21.

    My point? My point is, he probably hasn't really changed anything.

    The thought that pitchers are going to give Bruce pitches to drive because they're tired of him being a .255 hitter with no power is just inaccurate, though. The notion that he's "become a professional hitter" now I just don't agree with.
    The important point here is that pitchers so far have been able to get Bruce out by pitching him away. He was trying to pull outside pitches, and grounding out or popping them up. So pitchers kept pitching him there with success.

    By showing that he will now take those outside pitches the other way for singles, Bruce has shown that they can't keep pitching him out there, especially with runners on base. They want outs.

    While they rather give up singles than XBH's, their number one concern is getting outs. If a guy is constantly getting on base against them when they pitch him outside, they will stop pitching him there. They might not challenge him inside, but at the very least, they will stop getting him out with off speed stuff away. That will only be a good thing for Bruce.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  19. Likes:

    bagz (04-16-2013), fireman937 (04-16-2013), mdccclxix (04-16-2013), mth123 (04-16-2013), redsmetz (04-16-2013)

  20. #13
    Member smixsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The important point here is that pitchers so far have been able to get Bruce out by pitching him away. He was trying to pull outside pitches, and grounding out or popping them up. So pitchers kept pitching him there with success.

    By showing that he will now take those outside pitches the other way for singles, Bruce has shown that they can't keep pitching him out there, especially with runners on base. They want outs.

    While they rather give up singles than XBH's, their number one concern is getting outs. If a guy is constantly getting on base against them when they pitch him outside, they will stop pitching him there. They might not challenge him inside, but at the very least, they will stop getting him out with off speed stuff away. That will only be a good thing for Bruce.
    Spot on.

  21. #14
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    You just don't get it. He's not going to change his approach, and he's going to have better numbers in every area---including slugging, HRs and RBIs.

    His slugging numbers aren't low because he changed his approach, they're low because he started so slow (before changing his approach and heating up).
    I disagree with you.

    He's not going to have better numbers in homers if he doesn't start hitting them soon. In fact, 40 is probably already out the window and soon he might not be able to reach 30 for the year if he doesn't hit one soon.

    I agree with Reds44... he is not as valuable hitting as he is in his current state.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  22. #15
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,584
    That AB against Cliff Lee was very impressive.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

  23. Likes:

    SirFelixCat (04-16-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25