Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

I'm totally amazed at how much Jay has improved in his situational hitting. He's going the other way like crazy, putting in tough professional at bat after tough professional at bat. Me likey! This bodes well for our Reds! ......Especially in the post season.

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

I like Jay Bruce when he's not SLG .345.

But that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

3. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-16-2013),AtomicDumpling (04-16-2013),dfs (04-16-2013),Spider Tre (04-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I like Jay Bruce when he's not SLG .345.

But that's just me.

Agreed. Hopefully he can get to somewhere in the middle.

The HRs will come as the pitchers get tired of him beating them silly to left field. He's doing it exactly right at the moment.

6. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    The HRs will come as the pitchers get tired of him beating them silly to left field. He's doing it exactly right at the moment.
    He has done this in the past and then proceeded to go to pulling off of everything for a couple months. I'm not going to claim he has learned to hit like a professional until he does this for a whole first half.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    He has done this in the past and then proceeded to go to pulling off of everything for a couple months. I'm not going to claim he has learned to hit like a professional until he does this for a whole first half.
    Fair enough. I'm very optimistic about it though.

So in your mind because Bruce dropped a couple singles into LF pitchers are going to say "Well, damn, I can't have that, I better give him a pitch he can drive"?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

10. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (04-16-2013)

Jay Bruce has a .626 OPS right now. Opposing pitchers would love for him to continue to hit like he is.

I love Bruce, but I hope the noise of him needing to go the other way isn't making him change his approach that much. I understand wanting to be more consistent, but he's at his best when he's turning on balls.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

ervinsm84 (04-16-2013),Razor Shines (04-16-2013),RedEye (04-16-2013)

Jay Bruce has a .626 OPS right now. Opposing pitchers would love for him to continue to hit like he is.

I love Bruce, but I hope the noise of him needing to go the other way isn't making him change his approach that much. I understand wanting to be more consistent, but he's at his best when he's turning on balls.
    You just don't get it. He's not going to change his approach, and he's going to have better numbers in every area---including slugging, HRs and RBIs.

His slugging numbers aren't low because he changed his approach, they're low because he started so slow (before changing his approach and heating up).

You just don't get it. He's not going to change his approach, and he's going to have better numbers in every area---including slugging, HRs and RBIs.

His slugging numbers aren't low because he changed his approach, they're low because he started so slow (before changing his approach and heating up).
    See Reds44, he didn't change his approach until after he changed his approach. Duh.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

15. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-16-2013),Homer Bailey (04-16-2013)

Jay Bruce has 5 extra base hits this year. 60% of them were in his first 4 games. He's 13-40 (.325) since then, with only 2 extra base hits. He's slugging so low because he's not hitting extra base hits.

All of these numbers means absolutely nothing and he'll likely go on to have a very Jay Bruce year.

In fact, the notion he started slow isn't even really true. Do you think he changed his approach after 13 ABs? There's not a chance. He started 1-13, then went 10-21.

My point? My point is, he probably hasn't really changed anything.

The thought that pitchers are going to give Bruce pitches to drive because they're tired of him being a .255 hitter with no power is just inaccurate, though. The notion that he's "become a professional hitter" now I just don't agree with.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-16-2013 at 03:24 AM.

17. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (04-16-2013)

Jay Bruce has 5 extra base hits this year. 60% of them were in his first 4 games. He's 13-40 (.325) since then, with only 2 extra base hits. He's slugging so low because he's not hitting extra base hits.

All of these numbers means absolutely nothing and he'll likely go on to have a very Jay Bruce year.

In fact, the notion he started slow isn't even really true. Do you think he changed his approach after 13 ABs? There's not a chance. He started 1-13, then went 10-21.

My point? My point is, he probably hasn't really changed anything.

The thought that pitchers are going to give Bruce pitches to drive because they're tired of him being a .255 hitter with no power is just inaccurate, though. The notion that he's "become a professional hitter" now I just don't agree with.
    The important point here is that pitchers so far have been able to get Bruce out by pitching him away. He was trying to pull outside pitches, and grounding out or popping them up. So pitchers kept pitching him there with success.

By showing that he will now take those outside pitches the other way for singles, Bruce has shown that they can't keep pitching him out there, especially with runners on base. They want outs.

While they rather give up singles than XBH's, their number one concern is getting outs. If a guy is constantly getting on base against them when they pitch him outside, they will stop pitching him there. They might not challenge him inside, but at the very least, they will stop getting him out with off speed stuff away. That will only be a good thing for Bruce.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

19. Likes:

bagz (04-16-2013),fireman937 (04-16-2013),mdccclxix (04-16-2013),mth123 (04-16-2013),redsmetz (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The important point here is that pitchers so far have been able to get Bruce out by pitching him away. He was trying to pull outside pitches, and grounding out or popping them up. So pitchers kept pitching him there with success.

By showing that he will now take those outside pitches the other way for singles, Bruce has shown that they can't keep pitching him out there, especially with runners on base. They want outs.

While they rather give up singles than XBH's, their number one concern is getting outs. If a guy is constantly getting on base against them when they pitch him outside, they will stop pitching him there. They might not challenge him inside, but at the very least, they will stop getting him out with off speed stuff away. That will only be a good thing for Bruce.
    Spot on.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I disagree with you.

He's not going to have better numbers in homers if he doesn't start hitting them soon. In fact, 40 is probably already out the window and soon he might not be able to reach 30 for the year if he doesn't hit one soon.

I agree with Reds44... he is not as valuable hitting as he is in his current state.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Stat geek...and proud
    That AB against Cliff Lee was very impressive.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

23. Likes:

SirFelixCat (04-16-2013)

Turn Off Ads?