Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    My response was not directed at any specific post. (But I guess that doesn't really matter to most on here)
    So you just decided to lob a cheap shot about "navel gazing" at the general RZ community without expecting it to generate a response?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    PS For the record, JB is proving that my original post (which was based on the observations of an educated and discerning eye) was right on the money.
    Since you didn't define in the original post what a "professional hitter" was, I would disagree with this assertion. I would also disagree with the idea that the process happened "overnight."

But yeah... other than that, right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Since you didn't define in the original post what a "professional hitter" was, I would disagree with this assertion.
    For those who watch every Reds game, the original post was obvious. He was referring to Jay taking more pitches, going the other way, etc ... meaning more professional at bats. The OP was right when he started this thread and he's been right ever since. It's ridiculous to continue to try to pick his OPINION apart.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    For those who watch every Reds game, the original post was obvious. He was referring to Jay taking more pitches, going the other way, etc ... meaning more professional at bats. The OP was right when he started this thread and he's been right ever since. It's ridiculous to continue to try to pick his OPINION apart.
    Huh. That's funny, since I do watch nearly every Reds game and it wasn't at all obvious to me.

I'd be interested to know whether or not Jay actually has been taking more pitches and going the other way. It's certainly possible, but in no way easy to confirm through just "watching games" (unless you are keeping tally marks and spray charts during games).

Why is it ridiculous to pick an opinion apart?

Because it's an "opinion". Not fact or false. If you don't agree, then don't agree. To spend 50 pages arguing an "opinion" is ridiculous.

Because it's an "opinion". Not fact or false. If you don't agree, then don't agree. To spend 50 pages arguing an "opinion" is ridiculous.
    Aren't opinions changeable given more knowledge or insight from others? Don't you come to RZ because you want to learn and/ or share knowledge about the Reds?

Huh. That's funny, since I do watch nearly every Reds game and it wasn't at all obvious to me.

I'd be interested to know whether or not Jay actually has been taking more pitches and going the other way. It's certainly possible, but in no way easy to confirm through just "watching games" (unless you are keeping tally marks and spray charts during games).

Fangraphs indicates he's actually swinging at 4% more pitches this year than last.

I'd be curious to see a spray chart as to whether he's going oppo more often. My inclination is that he's probably not going the other way too much more, but he has hit a few opposite field homers already this year which is something he had not done very much the past few.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Don't you come to RZ because you want to learn and/ or share knowledge about the Reds?
    No, I come to RZ because I'm a lifelong Reds fan who likes to talk Reds baseball with other Reds fans. I couldn't care less about winning a thread, a debate or a topic (which is what ORG seems to be about).

10. Likes:

smixsell (06-23-2013),Vottomatic (06-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Fangraphs indicates he's actually swinging at 4% more pitches this year than last.

I'd be curious to see a spray chart as to whether he's going oppo more often. My inclination is that he's probably not going the other way too much more, but he has hit a few opposite field homers already this year which is something he had not done very much the past few.
    Interesting indeed. Hey, honestly I don't really care that much whether he goes to the opposite field if he puts up an .850 with about 40 HR. Anything beyond that is quibbling IMO. That's a darn good player, and an improving one over previous years.

No, I come to RZ because I'm a lifelong Reds fan who likes to talk Reds baseball with other Reds fans. I couldn't care less about winning a thread, a debate or a topic (which is what ORG seems to be about).
    I don't really think most of us are interested in "winning" threads. We are interested in the banter, though. And it can get heated at times.

I guess we're just made of different stuff then. I too like to talk Reds baseball, but I'm less interested in what folks have to say if it is not well thought-out. There are many places for venting about how players suck on the web -- and thank goodness, this is not one of them.

13. Likes:

Homer Bailey (06-24-2013)

Interesting take. 5 years ago I'd say you were spot on. These days? Pretty mature crowd with a few knuckleheads thrown in to remind us that RZ is just like any other community.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Bruce currently on pace for 38 HR, 115 RBI, .279/.325/.532

Could it be he's about to satisfy all sides of the debate? Stay tuned.
    As much as I love this lately, as much as I love Bruce, as much as I HOPE I'm wrong...

I still say he finds a way to fall short of 100 RBI, hit below .270, and he will better his HR total from last year (35 or more).

It's almost like he can't cross that 100 RBI barrier mentally he gets to 99 and he gets writers block/hitters block.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Agree. Alot of posters sit in waiting to pounce on others, almost for fun. It's disheartening.

Learn to walk away. You're just feeding the animals when you stick around and argue/fight with them.

17. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (06-23-2013),MBZags (06-23-2013),New York Red (06-23-2013)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

By my count Bruce is 7 for his last 29, with 7 home runs.

Over his last 10 games
    14-45 8 HR, 2 2B, 9RBI, and 9 R.
    .311/.378/.889

Pretty impressive week and change.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    As much as I love this lately, as much as I love Bruce, as much as I HOPE I'm wrong...

It's almost like he can't cross that 100 RBI barrier mentally he gets to 99 and he gets writers block/hitters block.
    Is that really important? It's a team dependent stat anyway. If he gets enough opportunities he will, and if he doesn't, he won't.

I went back and looked, here's his OBI% (others batted in) over the years.

2013-15.1%
    2012-15.7
    2011-14.0
    2010-11.1
    2009-14.8
    2008-11.6

So...other than that outlier 2010 and his rookie year he's been quite consistent in his RBI production.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 06-23-2013 at 02:30 AM.

20. Likes:

Homer Bailey (06-24-2013),RedEye (06-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?