Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    This is the most argumentative sports site I've been on in 20 years of message board posting.
    Don't you mean, "This is the most argumentative sports site I've been on in 20 years of message board posting!!!!!!!"?

2. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (04-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

This is the most argumentative sports site I've been on in 20 years of message board posting.
    That's because we're all experts, and we're all right, all of the time.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Come on! Take a stand!
    I will not take a stand on this. Then in a game or two when Bruce stinks I can say I told ya so, then when he is good again...well...I can say I told ya so!!!

No it isn't!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-16-2013),Blitz Dorsey (04-16-2013),mdccclxix (04-16-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Not that pulling the ball or not pulling the ball leads to more walks, but in Bruce's case, I believe he will walk more often by willing to hit more balls to the opposite field, as pitchers will not get as close to the plate with the outside pitch. Total theory on my part, of course.

That's fine if you do, of course, but do you prefer Bruce hitting .245 w/ 40 HR's or .280 with 28 homeruns?
    The 12 HRs are guaranteed runs... If the OBP is similar with him hitting .280 or .245, then yes give me the .245 with 40 HRs.

Without more information regarding what Bruce is doing at the plate, then the .245-40 is worth valuable. Even if 7.5 of the 12 HRs are solo shots.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    No it isn't!
    Yes it is!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay Bruce in 2013

Make of it what you will....

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Even if 7.5 of the 12 HRs are solo shots.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post

No it isn't!
    LOL ... I was waiting for that

Don't get me wrong; I like the place. But wow, how can someone take an innocent comment about Jay Bruce having some really professional ABs lately, and turn it into something completely different. It started with the very first reply to the thread and never returned to the original point. I'm in agreement with you, OP. Jay has had several very professional ABs lately, meaning seeing a lot of pitches, fouling a lot of pitches off, continuing to fight, etc. Then he wound up either getting a hit or drawing a walk to keep rallies going. These are good signs for Jay, IMO. It's not always about HRs, SLG, OPS, etc. Some of you try way too hard to win threads.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

No it isn't!
    Dammit, yes it is the most-argumentative sports forum in the history of message boards and I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to accept you thinking otherwise.

Just to address this point:

Since Bruce entered the league in 2008, 57.6% of HRs across all of MLB have been solo shots. Meanwhile, 60.4% of Jay Bruce's career HRs have been of the solo variety (81 of 134). Not an appreciable difference there. Maybe it just seems like Bruce hits more solo homers because he just plain hits so many homers.
    Thanks, I figured it was more of a false perception than a reality.

dougdirt, you probably have the best memory about Bruce than any of us here. Has he ever talked about his change of approach regarding attempting to pull the ball more in order to generate more homeruns? Any references at all that you can recall?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Just joking about my brain not accepting math at the moment.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Yes it is!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-16-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Turn Off Ads?