Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Zips doesn't even project him to get to 3 wins again this year FWIW, and that's even projecting him to play better than he has so far.

I like Jay, but the hypersensitivity to criticism of him around these parts can be a bit much.
    I don't buy the defensive metrics on Bruce. He passes the eye test, but his defensive numbers are average at best.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    .318 OBP

106 K/25 BB

Not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    .346 wOBA, 3rd amongst NL RF.

Not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    .818 OPS

eh.
    Awesome.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Awesome.
    Eat your own.

I said it once I'l say it again, the game is changing offensively and many a person out there will fail to see that and be disappointed

5. Likes:

Razor Shines (07-11-2013),SirFelixCat (07-09-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (07-11-2013),Tom Servo (07-09-2013)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Again though, it's enigmatic. Guy homers 8 times in a week, then goes 2 weeks and three days without one.

Very puzzling to me, and there's no stat that explains it.

This certainly feels like his most consistent year in the big leagues watching him every day.

That said - why did WAR love Bruce in RF in 2010 but has hated him the last several years? He looks about the same night over night in RF to me, he plays a solid RF and makes some really good plays. I don't get it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Again though, it's enigmatic. Guy homers 8 times in a week, then goes 2 weeks and three days without one.

It's a stat called 'baseball is hard'.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

Always Red (07-09-2013),Razor Shines (07-11-2013),redsmetz (07-09-2013),westofyou (07-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Eat your own.

I said it once I'l say it again, the game is changing offensively and many a person out there will fail to see that and be disappointed
    Agreed. The league-wide OPS is down something like 30-50 points over the last half-decade. It's for this reason that when people jump off bridges over the dearth of Reds' offense, they're not realizing that for as bad as the Reds have been, most of the league is worse.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If that is a saber stat, then it must be the work of the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    File it under expectations of fans are unrealistic 90% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

This certainly feels like his most consistent year in the big leagues watching him every day.

That said - why did WAR love Bruce in RF in 2010 but has hated him the last several years? He looks about the same night over night in RF to me, he plays a solid RF and makes some really good plays. I don't get it.
    I find it very normal. Guys get locked in and go on streaks all the time. When a guys with Bruce's talent gets locked in, he becomes a top 5 hitter in the game. Homers seem to come in bunches for most players... Many times Jay's bunches are bigger than others.

14. Likes:

RedEye (07-09-2013)

The team has only one hitter over .272 BA and only three hitters over .745 OPS. I find these numbers astonishing for a team designed to be a serious contender.

Jay Bruce has deficiencies, he has 108 Ks this year and is streaky. But it's hardly worth discussing in comparison to the hitting issues of most of his teammates.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The team has only one hitter over .272 BA and only three hitters over .745 OPS. I find these numbers astonishing for a team designed to be a serious contender.

Jay Bruce has deficiencies, he has 108 Ks this year and is streaky. But it's hardly worth discussing in comparison to the hitting issues of most of his teammates.
    Time to enter Brooks Jacoby into the discussion. Perhaps we can bring up the subpar baserunning acumen while we're at it.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

17. Likes:

smixsell (07-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Reds were expected to compete on elite pitching and defense. Fans got spoiled by an early season hot streak offensively, but everyone has leveled off to their norms. I would expect this to be the norm for the rest of the season offensively.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds were expected to compete on elite pitching and defense. Fans got spoiled by an early season hot streak offensively, but everyone has leveled off to their norms. I would expect this to be the norm for the rest of the season offensively.
    If this is the norm...no way they can win on a consistent basis. The pitching is good but it is not Braves 1991-92 good. They would need to give up 2-3 runs a game to win. The Reds have scored more than 4 runs 8 times in about the last 35 games.

It has nothing to do with eating your own. I love Jay, but if you think his K/BB ratio this year is anything but major trouble you're wrong. He will not be a succesful player long term hitting like that.

The good news is I don't think he will continue hitting like that. Like I said earlier in the thread, I think he's working on something things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't buy the defensive metrics on Bruce. He passes the eye test, but his defensive numbers are average at best.
    I've been saying that for a long time now.

Turn Off Ads?