Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Bruce now has 28 strikeouts in 82 ABs this season. He has 6 extra base hits, and a .350 slugging percentage.

Not to repeat myself, but him going the other way early in the year is not a sign of him being a better (or more professional) hitter. He's completely screwed up at the plate.

I'm still not worried and I'm still not ripping him, but the "going the other way means Jay Bruce is a professional hitter" narrative needs to die. He's not driving anything, and he's striking out more than usual. No part of this is good.
    Yeah, no part of it was good tonight
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jay's OBP is at .351 and rising.

That's the important thing.

Ahhhhhhhhh, The opposite field homers continue to rise......

along with the BA, SA, and OBP.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-18-2013),New York Red (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhh, The opposite field homers continue to rise......

along with the BA, SA, and OBP.
    Two weeks ago someone in a game thread was talking about how disappointing Jay Bruce has been this year. You can't make this stuff up.

Breeeeeeeeews for Bruuuuuuuuuuuce.

Bruce by month:

March/April: .252/.312/.339
    May: .290/.330/.607
    June: .326/.376/.558(does not include today's bomb)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Two weeks ago someone in a game thread was talking about how disappointing Jay Bruce has been this year. You can't make this stuff up.

Breeeeeeeeews for Bruuuuuuuuuuuce.
    That was me, and I stand behind what I said... he had a .780 OPS (ish) at the time. When that conversation was happening, his overall body of work was still, frankly, not real good. I am not sorry for being disappointed by that. I never he wouldn't bring that OPS back up to where it belongs, I merely said that if he continued hitting .750-.780, it was a disappointment. But nice attempt at trying to revise the history of the conversation. There's no person on this board that wouldn't be disappointed if Bruce had finished with a sub-.800 OPS. So really, the condescension is a bit uncalled for; especially since I recall you getting upset at someone just the other day in the game thread for doing exactly what it is you're doing here.
    Last edited by Brutus; 06-18-2013 at 03:19 AM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

9. Likes:

edabbs44 (06-18-2013),Raisor (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That was me, and I stand behind what I said... he had a .780 OPS (ish) at the time. When that conversation was happening, his overall body of work was still, frankly, not real good. I am not sorry for being disappointed by that. I never he wouldn't bring that OPS back up to where it belongs, I merely said that if he continued hitting .750-.780, it was a disappointment. But nice attempt at trying to revise the history of the conversation. There's no person on this board that wouldn't be disappointed if Bruce had finished with a sub-.800 OPS. So really, the condescension is a bit uncalled for; especially since I recall you getting upset at someone just the other day in the game thread for doing exactly what it is you're doing here.
    That's not at all what I was doing here. Not even close. The condescension I referred to was the posters who constantly talk down to others, as if they're somehow superior to them. I never do that. If I wanted to be that way, I could have gone back and found the quote and used it to single that person out, but that's a jerk move and I'm not the least bit interested in being that way. Honestly, I had no memory of who posted it and didn't care. I just thought it was odd at the time and still do.

As for everyone being disappointed if Jay doesn't OPS over .800, you can leave me out of that group. He was and still is on pace to drive in 100+ runs and hit 25-30 HRs, while getting numerous clutch hits and playing great RF defense. If anyone considers that a disappointing season, then I guess we just have different standards. As usual, I respect your opinion, even if you don't respect mine.

Go Reds!

Jay's season is trending very nicely. OPS now up to 830.

May and June he's been All Star caliber

Bruce has definitely impressed me this year. In my view, he's made a huge step forward, finally gaining some consistency in hitting the ball to the opposite field. Everything from flicking pitches for singles against a shift to backspinning long homers to the gap, like he did last night. And still he's turning on pitches he can pull. He's been a joy to watch in 2013.

13. Likes:

smixsell (06-18-2013)

So the real question is...could Bruce end up living up to the hype after all? Some players just take a little longer to click.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

From where I sit, he has already more than fulfilled the hype in his career to date.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

16. Likes:

Always Red (06-18-2013),AtomicDumpling (06-18-2013),Chip R (06-18-2013),dubc47834 (06-18-2013),Edd Roush (06-18-2013),Homer Bailey (06-18-2013),Mitri (06-18-2013),New York Red (06-18-2013),Raisor (06-18-2013),smixsell (06-18-2013),Tom Servo (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Bruce has definitely impressed me this year. In my view, he's made a huge step forward, finally gaining some consistency in hitting the ball to the opposite field. Everything from flicking pitches for singles against a shift to backspinning long homers to the gap, like he did last night. And still he's turning on pitches he can pull. He's been a joy to watch in 2013.
    Seems true. Let's hope it continues. It really has been fun to watch Jay and Homer learn how to excel at the major league level. They were both so young when they came up, and they are both turning into complete players before our eyes.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

18. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    From where I sit, he has already more than fulfilled the hype in his career to date.
    I think he's a great player. But as the #1 prospect in baseball people were really hyping him up to be something that people are sometimes disappointed he didn't become.

You can say that you like him as a player, and that he's been great for us (which he has) but saying he's 'more than fulfilled the hype' is a stretch at best.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

20. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (06-18-2013)

No, it isn't. I can't help others' crazed expectations, but #1 prospect in baseball doesn't equal automatic Hall of Famer or guy who never makes an out or whatever impossible bar some set. He projected to be an above average major league outfielder, and he has been that and more. I don't get and have never understood the need to set impossible standards in front of guys before they even make their major league debut. It happened with homer, it happened with jay, it will probably happen with Hamilton. All that does is keep people from enjoying the transition from prospect to legit major league player. And jay has aced that transition. It is the height of churlish to dwell on what he is not in my opinion, rather than enjoy what he is
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

22. Likes:

Homer Bailey (06-18-2013),Redeyecat (06-20-2013),Stingray (06-18-2013),WrongVerb (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Totally agree.

Turn Off Ads?