Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Nervous about the Pirates again?
    Nauseated by the advanced stats navel gazing that seems to predominate in this forum. (and the dearth of discussion about the game beyond those stats).

2. Likes:

New York Red (06-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Nauseated by the advanced stats navel gazing that seems to predominate in this forum. (and the dearth of discussion about the game beyond those stats).
    Ops really isn't an advanced stat

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Ops really isn't an advanced stat
    OPS is an advanced stat like the internal combustible engine is new technology

6. Likes:

757690 (06-22-2013),RedEye (06-22-2013)

Jay up to 850 for the season which is my goal for him this year

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You mean an internal combustion engine, right? An internal combustible engine might be a little hard to control.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    You could always head over to Red Reporter or Cincinnati.com if you like. Sometimes I do when it gets too heavy here. Problem is that I don't find much good discussion -- mostly bait and snark -- though I do think Red Reporter has a few hilarious posters.

Only player playing worth a damn right now...kudos Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Only player playing worth a damn right now...kudos Jay.
    Come on, man. I agree that Bruce has been great lately, but...

* Brandon has been hurt, playing great D and recently hit a walk-off single.
    * Joey and Choo are both still above .400 OBP even though they are "slumping."
    * The Robinson/Paul/Lutz monster has been defiantly okay despite predictions of its demise
    * Cozart has had a little mini-hot streak lately

They are "worth a damn." Things just aren't clicking right now. It happens.

Bruce currently on pace for 38 HR, 115 RBI, .279/.325/.532

Could it be he's about to satisfy all sides of the debate? Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Could it be he's about to satisfy all sides of the debate?
    In a word ... no.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    In a word ... no.
    Well, if he puts up an .850 OPS with 38 HR and 115 RBI, I think he'll take a big step in the right direction. Maybe he'd still need to walk a little more, but other than that I don't think most folks would have much to complain about.

15. Likes:

Big Klu (06-23-2013)

In a word ... no.
    Baloney. If Bruce finishes the season with an OPS north of .850, a wOBA over .360-.370, nearly 40 homers, over 100 RBIs, etc., there's not a single soul on here that would not be satisfied with that performance.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

17. Likes:

RedEye (06-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My response was not directed at any specific post. (But I guess that doesn't really matter to most on here)

PS For the record, JB is proving that my original post (which was based on the observations of an educated and discerning eye) was right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Baloney. If Bruce finishes the season with an OPS north of .850, a wOBA over .360-.370, nearly 40 homers, over 100 RBIs, etc., there's not a single soul on here that would not be satisfied with that performance.
    Nothing he's done in his career thus far has completely satisfied certain fans, so what has changed? He started his Reds career at age 21 and has been picked apart by those fans ever since. He'll be going to his third straight all-star game this year, yet still those same fans criticize him. They let up when he gets hot, but they'll be back as soon as he gets in a little slump. It's as guaranteed as death and taxes.

Nothing he's done in his career thus far has completely satisfied certain fans, so what has changed? He started his Reds career at age 21 and has been picked apart by those fans ever since. He'll be going to his third straight all-star game this year, yet still those same fans criticize him. They let up when he gets hot, but they'll be back as soon as he gets in a little slump. It's as guaranteed as death and taxes.
    My question was whether or not an .850 OPS with 38 HR and 115 RBI (his current pace) would satisfy his critics. I think it would. Sure, there would still be an occasional curmudgeon who hates Bruce because he strikes out with the bases loaded, but that's par for the course.

Turn Off Ads?