Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    We just disagree on to how good of a deal it was. His first would be free agent season pays him 12 million. That salary this season would make him the 9th highest paid RF in the game. From 2011-2013 he has the 11th highest WAR among RF, while having the 4th most Plate Appearances. Seems about what the market would dictate also factor in the risk of guaranteeing money when not having to. This was no great discount deal. Not bad but in the end has not made a huge difference to what would've happened with no deal.
    Seems all are agreed that the worst case scenario is that the Reds paid market price. Sounds like a good deal to me.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bruce 0 for 4 with 4 K's today in Oak. This IS Jay Bruce. Carries the team for a while, then goes ice cold for a while. I still wouldn't trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Bruce 0 for 4 with 4 K's today in Oak. This IS Jay Bruce. Carries the team for a while, then goes ice cold for a while. I still wouldn't trade him.
    How you can say that one game is a player is beyond me, but glad you wouldn't trade him.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

DocRed (06-26-2013),dubc47834 (06-26-2013),Edd Roush (06-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    How you can say that one game is a player is beyond me, but glad you wouldn't trade him.
    Well, he was 0-4 with 2 K's yesterday. Still, only 2 games. Yet we have seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Well, he was 0-4 with 2 K's yesterday. Still, only 2 games. Yet we have seen this before.
    And yet he has been easily our best player by far over the last month.

lol this board man
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-26-2013),Fil3232 (06-27-2013),membengal (06-26-2013)

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but how many times have the Bruce vs Dunn comparisons come up? If so, is that looked as a negative by Reds fans?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'm sure this has been talked about before, but how many times have the Bruce vs Dunn comparisons come up? If so, is that looked as a negative by Reds fans?
    The two are much different players. For one, Adam has a much better batting eye, but strikes out way more often. Furthermore, Jay plays great defense and Adam never did. Adam was never worth the big contract because all he could do was hit. Jay is worth the contract because he plays great defense and has a good bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    The two are much different players. For one, Adam has a much better batting eye, but strikes out way more often. Furthermore, Jay plays great defense and Adam never did. Adam was never worth the big contract because all he could do was hit. Jay is worth the contract because he plays great defense and has a good bat.
    I know they're very different players. I would agree Jay plays better defense. But hitting wise. . .ehhh, I would definitely say Adam.

Through 5 Full seasons:
    Jay Bruce (2412AB): HR:134 RBI:376 K's:634 AB/K:3.80 WAR13.6 OPS+/yr 11.8

Adam Dunn (2271AB): HR:158 RBI:374 K's:733 AB/K:3.09 WAR9.7 OPS+/yr 132

I know they're very different players. I would agree Jay plays better defense. But hitting wise. . .ehhh, I would definitely say Adam.

Through 5 Full seasons:
    Jay Bruce (2412AB): HR:134 RBI:376 K's:634 AB/K:3.80 WAR13.6 OPS+/yr 11.8

Adam Dunn (2271AB): HR:158 RBI:374 K's:733 AB/K:3.09 WAR9.7 OPS+/yr 132
    I don't understand what point you are trying to make. Are you wondering if Reds fans will turn on Jay Bruce like they did against Adam Dunn because of the strikeouts? If so, I can see some fans getting frustrated with Jay's Ks. However, I was trying to insinuate that Jay brings much more to the table because he is lightyears better than Adam Dunn in the field.

I have always been an apologist for Adam Dunn as a hitter since he came up. So if Jay Bruce becomes Adam Dunn with the stick and also plays a good leftfield, I think we will have a solid core piece for a while. That being said, I do not expect Jay to ever walk to Dunn's level and fortunately, he will never strike out as much. Those are major differentiators.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Bruce 0 for 4 with 4 K's today in Oak. This IS Jay Bruce.
    One of the worst posts I have ever read on here.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. Are you wondering if Reds fans will turn on Jay Bruce like they did against Adam Dunn because of the strikeouts? If so, I can see some fans getting frustrated with Jay's Ks. However, I was trying to insinuate that Jay brings much more to the table because he is lightyears better than Adam Dunn in the field.

I have always been an apologist for Adam Dunn as a hitter since he came up. So if Jay Bruce becomes Adam Dunn with the stick and also plays a good leftfield, I think we will have a solid core piece for a while. That being said, I do not expect Jay to ever walk to Dunn's level and fortunately, he will never strike out as much. Those are major differentiators.
    My point was two-fold: 1) I think a lot of Reds fans aren't high on Dunn because of his K's/low average/etc and Bruce is very comparable to him so far 2) I think the majority of fans like Bruce more than they ever did for Dunn even though I believe Dunn was a better player through their first five seasons.

My point was two-fold: 1) I think a lot of Reds fans aren't high on Dunn because of his K's/low average/etc and Bruce is very comparable to him so far 2) I think the majority of fans like Bruce more than they ever did for Dunn even though I believe Dunn was a better player through their first five seasons.
    I agree that a lot of Reds fans do/did not like Adam Dunn because of the high Ks and low batting average, but Jay Bruce's career K rate is 4.5% lower than Adam Dunn's which is a considerable margin. Furthermore, Jay has a .258 career BA and Dunn has a .238 career BA. Again a major difference. These guys are much different hitters.

Why would you think Dunn is the better player if you just posted that Jay had a WAR of 13.6 in his first five years and Dunn had a WAR of 9.7 in his first five years? Clearly, Jay's defensive supremacy adds a lot more value to the table.

Senor Votto

Suddenly I remember why I don't come to this site very often now

I agree that a lot of Reds fans do/did not like Adam Dunn because of the high Ks and low batting average, but Jay Bruce's career K rate is 4.5% lower than Adam Dunn's which is a considerable margin. Furthermore, Jay has a .258 career BA and Dunn has a .238 career BA. Again a major difference. These guys are much different hitters.

Why would you think Dunn is the better player if you just posted that Jay had a WAR of 13.6 in his first five years and Dunn had a WAR of 9.7 in his first five years? Clearly, Jay's defensive supremacy adds a lot more value to the table.
    Don't forget Dunn is one of the WORST outfielders in the modern era. (-26.5 in 13 years with a high of -5.2 in one year). Bruce's dWAR over the same period is almost +2.0 dWAR higher per year than Dunn's.

Turn Off Ads?