Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He is getting on base so far this year on soft stuff on the outside part of the plate. And while having an OBP under .300 is never good, the fact that the hits he has had are to the opposite field, is a good sign. That is far more important than what his OBP is after two weeks.
    I disagree him going to the opposite field is a good thing. If he was going to the opposite field and producing at Bruce levels, I would agree it was a good thing. But going to the opposite field and hitting like Willy Taveras, that is not a good thing.

I just disagree with the notion that Bruce going to the opposite has or will fix any problems he has. I always have hated that line of thinking. I think you have to acknowledge there is at least a possibility him trying to go the other way could take away some of his ability to drive the ball. It's obviously too small of a sample size to draw a conclusion about anything this year, but the possibility does exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I disagree him going to the opposite field is a good thing. If he was going to the opposite field and producing at Bruce levels, I would agree it was a good thing. But going to the opposite field and hitting like Willy Taveras, that is not a good thing.

I just disagree with the notion that Bruce going to the opposite has or will fix any problems he has. I always have hated that line of thinking.
    Willy Taveras wishes he could hit the ball to any field as hard as Jay has hit it the other way.

Jay has 58 at bats this season. Like we haven't gone 58 at bats and seen him go without a home run before. Do you really think that if Jay Bruce uses his approach all year he is going to be Willy Taveras? And if so, based on what?

Here's the sample size we are dealing with:

last 14 days
    12 games 302/327/396/723

2013 Season
    13 games 276/311/362/673

One game is this difference .026/.016/.034/.050

It's. Early.

I'm not trying to say anything negative about Jay Bruce, nor am I trying to say you can conclude anything from his sample size. Obviously Bruce isn't going to hit like this all season. He's going to hit a lot of HRs.

I just hate the notion he has become a "professional hitter" when he has a .674 OPS because he's hitting singles to LF.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

6. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-16-2013),Raisor (04-16-2013),Razor Shines (04-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    LOL ... I was waiting for that

Don't get me wrong; I like the place. But wow, how can someone take an innocent comment about Jay Bruce having some really professional ABs lately, and turn it into something completely different. It started with the very first reply to the thread and never returned to the original point. I'm in agreement with you, OP. Jay has had several very professional ABs lately, meaning seeing a lot of pitches, fouling a lot of pitches off, continuing to fight, etc. Then he wound up either getting a hit or drawing a walk to keep rallies going. These are good signs for Jay, IMO. It's not always about HRs, SLG, OPS, etc. Some of you try way too hard to win threads.
    Thank you!

PS How dare you introduce the idea of responding to someone's actual point. It's obviously a cherished hobby with many on here to either create a ridiculous "straw man" out of a post and and then attack it, or to interpret every post or comment into another cog in the great "stats vs. observation" war.

8. Likes:

jimbo (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I hope you know I was poking fun at the perceived notion that "Jay only hits solo HRs"

10. Likes:

mdccclxix (04-17-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He just pulled that one. Unfortunately it was right at Ryan Howard on a line.

I'm not trying to say anything negative about Jay Bruce, nor am I trying to say you can conclude anything from his sample size. Obviously Bruce isn't going to hit like this all season. He's going to hit a lot of HRs.

I just hate the notion he has become a "professional hitter" when he has a .674 OPS because he's hitting singles to LF.
    You're the one who took an observational comment (and a correct one at that--provided one understands a little colorful exaggeration on my part) and tried to refute it with a ridiculously small sample size of statistics. Next time behave yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    You're the one who took an observational comment (and a correct one at that--provided one understands a little colorful exaggeration on my part) and tried to refute it with a ridiculously small sample size of statistics. Next time behave yourself.
    It's not a correct one. Going to the opposite field doesn't make you a better or "more professional" hitter if it sacrifices your power. You also implied he changed his approach after like 14 ABs this year, and I can't fathom that statement is even close to correct.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.

14. Likes:

Raisor (04-17-2013),Razor Shines (04-17-2013)

It's not a correct one. Going to the opposite field doesn't make you a better or "more professional" hitter if it sacrifices your power. You also implied he changed his approach after like 14 ABs this year, and I can't fathom that statement is even close to correct.
    I believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    I believe you.
    What is with all the insults? Post your opinion and move on to the next topic.

17. Likes:

Always Red (04-17-2013),Homer Bailey (04-17-2013),Razor Shines (04-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    What is with all the insults? Post your opinion and move on to the next topic.
    Sorry You are correct.

However, I would like to propose that in the future Redszone posters refrain from habitually interpreting the posts of others in such a way as to render the proposed point idiotic.

Generally I have found it a good practice in any discussion NOT to interpret the statements made by another so as to render them nonsensical. Unfortunately that's what many on here do.

There are going to be ambiguities in any short communication, so how bout we all try and habitually give other posters credit for being at least non-imbeciles?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I don't agree that it sacrifices your power. If you're taking an outside pitch the other way you're taking what the pitcher gives you. If you try to pull that ball, you're doing exactly what the pitcher wants you to try to do. Bruce is trying to go the other way on pitches that lend themselves to doing that. He's still turning on inside pitches and ones over the middle of the dish. Those outside strikes...he wasn't going to be hitting those for power whether he pulled them or not....right?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't agree that it sacrifices your power. If you're taking an outside pitch the other way you're taking what the pitcher gives you. If you try to pull that ball, you're doing exactly what the pitcher wants you to try to do. Bruce is trying to go the other way on pitches that lend themselves to doing that. He's still turning on inside pitches and ones over the middle of the dish. Those outside strikes...he wasn't going to be hitting those for power whether he pulled them or not....right?
    If you're looking outer half and trying to to go with pitches the other way, it could absolutely sacrifice your power. It could cause you to be susceptible to being beat on fastballs on the inner half that you would generally drive because you're looking outer half and trying to go with pitches. Sure, Bruce may be taking an outside pitch and slapping it the other way for a single, but he also may miss a pitch earlier in the AB that he usually drives over the wall in RF. You can't say Bruce is turning on anything and pulling anything for power, because he's not hitting for any power. Off the top of my head I know at least 2 or 3 of his 5 doubles were to the opposite field. He's really not pulling anything for power early on.

And again, I can't emphasize enough that I'm not bashing Bruce right now, nor am I saying him trying to go to left field has messed up his approach and thus he's not pulling anything or hitting for power. It's way too early to draw any conclusions about anything right now. What I'm saying is, just because he's hitting singles to LF doesn't mean he's becoming a "better" or more professional hitter.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-17-2013 at 02:59 PM.

This is nauseating.

22. Likes:

RedlegJake (06-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?