Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce looks like he has become a professional hitter overnight!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    No, it isn't. I can't help others' crazed expectations, but #1 prospect in baseball doesn't equal automatic Hall of Famer or guy who never makes an out or whatever impossible bar some set. He projected to be an above average major league outfielder, and he has been that and more. I don't get and have never understood the need to set impossible standards in front of guys before they even make their major league debut. It happened with homer, it happened with jay, it will probably happen with Hamilton. All that does is keep people from enjoying the transition from prospect to legit major league player. And jay has aced that transition. It is the height of churlish to dwell on what he is not in my opinion, rather than enjoy what he is
    Right...but we're not talking about your expectations for him or what is fair or isn't fair. What I said was "is it possible that he may live up to the hype" that there was for him. Whether or not that hype is fair, or it is what you expected, it was still hype that he hasn't quite lived up to.

Although for what it's worth, outside of one season, he's been about an average outfielder not 'above average' so maybe he isn't even meeting your expectations?

I've always enjoyed Bruce on the team. That's not to say that he couldn't be more than what he is, because he does have the tools to be that guy.
    Last edited by Jamz; 06-18-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Right...but we're not talking about your expectations for him or what is fair or isn't fair. What I said was "is it possible that he may live up to the hype" that there was for him. Whether or not that hype is fair, or it is what you expected, it was still hype that he hasn't quite lived up to.
    I'm not sure anyone could live up to that hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

If only Jay Bruce could live up to the hype fans/media put on him. That's what really matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Although for what it's worth, outside of one season, he's been about an average outfielder not 'above average' so maybe he isn't even meeting your expectations?

I've always enjoyed Bruce on the team. That's not to say that he couldn't be more than what he is, because he does have the tools to be that guy.
    For the sake of discussion, how do you determine "average" vs. "above average"?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    As for everyone being disappointed if Jay doesn't OPS over .800, you can leave me out of that group. He was and still is on pace to drive in 100+ runs and hit 25-30 HRs, while getting numerous clutch hits and playing great RF defense.
    Honest question. If you leave aside the D and the "clutch hits" (neither of which you've defined here), the player you describe (25-30 HR, 100+ RBI) could be a number of different people. Don't you want to know whether our Bruce is hitting more like a 2006 Jeff Francoeur or 2011 Joey Votto? Seems to me that's a pretty important distinction, but the stats -- they way you've described them -- don't differentiate these guys. OPS does that better. It lets us see that 2006 Frenchie (.742 OPS) does not even come close to comparing to 2011 Votto (.947 OPS).
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-18-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    For the sake of discussion, how do you determine "average" vs. "above average"?
    I used WAR and wRC+ (mostly because I value batting more than fielding for the most part). Bruce, outside of 2010, has been pretty average. Not bad, but not great either.

I used WAR and wRC+ (mostly because I value batting more than fielding for the most part). Bruce, outside of 2010, has been pretty average. Not bad, but not great either.
    That really didn't answer the question. "Average" vs. "Above average" is a comparison. You just told me what measure you used to make that comparison.

When I did a quick and dirty look at OPS+, I see an above average power hitter who is just now 26, has above average range, and a plus arm. His career OPS+ is 114. Wouldn't you say that is above average?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

9. Likes:

marcshoe (06-18-2013),membengal (06-18-2013),Raisor (06-18-2013),reds44 (06-18-2013)

I don't have time for a full researched post (work and all), but, simply, what was league average OPS for all right fielders each of jays full seasons, and where has he been in relation to that? I suspect he's been above that average. That's my departure point. The criticisms generally lobbed at him by those inclined to do so center on his alleged failings with the bat, so my frame of reference for this discussion starts there.

Also, not a huge fan of WAR, sorry. For those that like it, that discussion will happen around me.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That really didn't answer the question. "Average" vs. "Above average" is a comparison. You just told me what measure you used to make that comparison.

When I did a quick and dirty look at OPS+, I see an above average power hitter who is just now 26, has above average range, and a plus arm. His career OPS+ is 114. Wouldn't you say that is above average?
    • In 2009 Jay Bruce had a wRC+ of 98 good for 31st among RFers with at least 300 PAs and had a WAR of 1.4 good for 24th among RFers with at least 300 PAs.
    • In 2010 Jay Bruce had a wRC+ of 124 good for 13th among RFers with at least 300 PAs and had a WAR of 5.0 good for 4th among RFers with at least 300 PAs.
    • In 2011 Jay Bruce had a wRC+ of 118 good for 15th among RFers with at least 300 PAs and had a WAR of 3.0 good for 11th among RFers with at least 300 PAs.
    • In 2012 Jay Bruce had a wRC+ of 119 good for 18th among RFers with at least 300 PAs and had a WAR of 2.1 good for 21st among RFers with at least 300 PAs.

This year he's got a wRC+ of 124 (good for 15th) and a WAR of 1.4 (good for 12th). When you consider that there are 30 teams in the league, aside from 2010, that looks pretty average to me (and even in 2010 his offensive contributions weren't much better than average at 13th).

With all that said he's really looking like he's getting more mature at the plate and I expect his numbers this year to rise quite a bit when all is said and done. I like Jay Bruce a lot, but numbers don't lie. He's been decidedly average for the vast majority of his career.

• In 2009 Jay Bruce had a wRC+ of 98 good for 31st among RFers with at least 300 PAs and had a WAR of 1.4 good for 24th among RFers with at least 300 PAs.
    • In 2010 Jay Bruce had a wRC+ of 124 good for 13th among RFers with at least 300 PAs and had a WAR of 5.0 good for 4th among RFers with at least 300 PAs.
    • In 2011 Jay Bruce had a wRC+ of 118 good for 15th among RFers with at least 300 PAs and had a WAR of 3.0 good for 11th among RFers with at least 300 PAs.
    • In 2012 Jay Bruce had a wRC+ of 119 good for 18th among RFers with at least 300 PAs and had a WAR of 2.1 good for 21st among RFers with at least 300 PAs.

This year he's got a wRC+ of 124 (good for 15th) and a WAR of 1.4 (good for 12th). When you consider that there are 30 teams in the league, aside from 2010, that looks pretty average to me (and even in 2010 his offensive contributions weren't much better than average at 13th).

With all that said he's really looking like he's getting more mature at the plate and I expect his numbers this year to rise quite a bit when all is said and done. I like Jay Bruce a lot, but numbers don't lie. He's been decidedly average for the vast majority of his career.
    I just don't know if that's the best way to look at it. Your numbers are undoubtley right, but this year Cozart is 7th in the NL in OPS among SS's. Would you conclude that Cozart's season this year is as good or valuable or whatever word as any of Bruce's previous seasons?

I get what you're saying, among RFers he has been average, but overall? I think he's been an above average player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I just don't know if that's the best way to look at it. Your numbers are undoubtley right, but this year Cozart is 7th in the NL in OPS among SS's. Would you conclude that Cozart's season this year is as good or valuable or whatever word as any of Bruce's previous seasons?

I get what you're saying, among RFers he has been average, but overall? I think he's been an above average player.
    Well the problem with looking at it that way is that some positions inherently require a much higher priority on learning defence and are tougher on the body. For example if you had a shortstop that could hit like Jay Bruce he'd be one of the more valuable shortstops in the league -- but how often do you really see that?

The way I see it is that Bruce should be compared with right fielders (or outfielders) because those are the kinds of players we'd likely use to replace him if he wasn't on our team.
    Last edited by Jamz; 06-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.

priority on learning defence.
    Jolly right!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not sure anyone could live up to that hype.
    I could.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

16. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (06-18-2013),TRF (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I could.
    Same here. It ain't hype if its true

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    No, it isn't. I can't help others' crazed expectations, but #1 prospect in baseball doesn't equal automatic Hall of Famer or guy who never makes an out or whatever impossible bar some set. He projected to be an above average major league outfielder, and he has been that and more. I don't get and have never understood the need to set impossible standards in front of guys before they even make their major league debut. It happened with homer, it happened with jay, it will probably happen with Hamilton. All that does is keep people from enjoying the transition from prospect to legit major league player. And jay has aced that transition. It is the height of churlish to dwell on what he is not in my opinion, rather than enjoy what he is
    What kind of bar did you set for Jay when you thought he was going to be 'an above average MLB outfielder?' I thought the projections for him were much higher than that.

Turn Off Ads?