Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me gusta Carlos Contreras

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Me gusta Carlos Contreras

Bakersfield got a whole hell of a lot more interesting thanks to this guy. Man is he off to a great start and I'm glad he was converted to a starter after a good season as a closer last year. With Contreras, Yorman and Waldrop, I'll be paying attention to their box scores closer than I thought.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=542266

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Me gusta Carlos Contreras

Three starts in he is looking like a definite keeper. Listened to the broadcast and outside of exactly one pitch, he pretty much ruled the Inland Empire tonight. I didn't hear any radar gun numbers but his breaking pitch was strong.

Yorman also had a good game last night with a HR and a double his third double on the year...

Baseball America had Contreras quite high on the list of Reds' prospects. The Reds protected him on the 40 man roster as I recall.

While the RedsZone poll had him at 30, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that he seems to be a quality prospect.

Other than the AAA guys and Stephenson, he may be the best starting prospect the Reds have (if he sticks as a starter). Those who like Rogers might argue for him as well.

Other than the AAA guys and Stephenson, he may be the best starting prospect the Reds have (if he sticks as a starter). Those who like Rogers might argue for him as well.
    Travieso, Guillon, Garrett, Constante, Langfield.... the field is wide open at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Travieso, Guillon, Garrett, Constante, Langfield.... the field is wide open at the moment.
    Throw in Cisco, Romano and Moscot. I like it.

Throw in Cisco, Romano and Moscot. I like it.
    True. I watched Cisco's last start. His arm action is unorthodox, but he's got a lot of polish -- excellent command and a legit mix. Solid BOR prospect if he can stay healthy. Would be great if he could add a tick to his fastball in the next 2-3 years.

After Stephenson, I agree that:

Travieso, Guillon, Romano, Contreras, Langfield and Cisco should warrant discussion (probably in that order for now).

Maybe Moscot. Don't know enough about Constante- will be interesting to see how he does in Rookie League. Rogers strikes me as the pitching equivalent of a Chris Valaika. He could eventually be serviceable as an emergency starter or bullpen arm, but he'll likely never be an above average (or maybe even an average) player in the big leagues. Think someone like Justin Lehr. Drew Cisco could be on that path as well, we'll see.

They are much further away, but don't lose sight of Amir Garrett or Pedro Diaz. They'll likely be in the same class as Constante.

Regardless, the Reds have 10 pretty decent pitching prospects in the system worth keeping an eye on (and this excludes Corcino and Cingrani).
    Go BLUE!!!

Plus there is that Cingrani fella

The same people who told me in the spring that the Reds were moving Contreras back to starter, said that he throws four pitches in the mid 90's. They did not elaborate on what the pitches were, but I presume they did not include a change up.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    The same people who told me in the spring that the Reds were moving Contreras back to starter, said that he throws four pitches in the mid 90's. They did not elaborate on what the pitches were, but I presume they did not include a change up.
    Fastball, faster ball, even faster ball and 4-seam fastball?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Excited to have guys like this in the lower ranks. About a decade ago, pre-Homer Bailey, these guys would be our minor league pitchers of the year, a la Richie Gardner and Thomas Pauly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Excited to have guys like this in the lower ranks. About a decade ago, pre-Homer Bailey, these guys would be our minor league pitchers of the year, a la Richie Gardner and Thomas Pauly.
    Richie Gardner would probably still be pitcher of the year. Before he got hurt he threw 156.2 innings with a 2.53 ERA between A+/AA with 26 walks and 139 strikeouts.

Same for Thomas Pauly. 2004 saw a 2.97 ERA in 121.1 innings, 26 walks and 135 strikeouts.

Those aren't pedestrian numbers. Those are outstanding numbers.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Richie Gardner would probably still be pitcher of the year. Before he got hurt he threw 156.2 innings with a 2.53 ERA between A+/AA with 26 walks and 139 strikeouts.

Same for Thomas Pauly. 2004 saw a 2.97 ERA in 121.1 innings, 26 walks and 135 strikeouts.

Those aren't pedestrian numbers. Those are outstanding numbers.
    I thought I'd always heard that they weren't very projectable despite the numbers, but I guess that could've had more to do with the Reds not so great track record of developing pitchers at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I thought I'd always heard that they weren't very projectable despite the numbers, but I guess that could've had more to do with the Reds not so great track record of developing pitchers at the time.
    I highly doubt either of them was going to become a #2, much less more, but they both put up the numbers to be Pitcher of the Year and were solid prospects.

Turn Off Ads?