Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pat Summerall R.I.P.

Pat Summerall R.I.P.

Summerall and Madden were magic. R.I.P.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...2_a3&eref=sihp

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pat Summerall R.I.P.

The Summerall,Madden duo were the best in NFL broadcasting history. Maybe the best in sports broadcasting history. I always enjoyed listening to him. I like the way he would call an event without screaming at you or detract from it by speaking too much.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

durl (04-24-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I appreciate that he never tried to make the broadcast about himself. He was old-school in every way.

RIP.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Every time one of these old broadcasters passes on I feel as though a little of my own personal story goes with it, as if I have been under the impression that these guys would just live forever. It always catches off guard.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Abbott to Madden's Costello. RIP, Pat.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Finally his reign of terror is over.

RIP

According Wiki his last game included our Bengals:

Summerall retired again following the 2002 season but in 2006, he served as a substitute for Kenny Albert alongside Baldinger for the Week 8 (October 29) game between the eventual NFC champion Chicago Bears and the San Francisco 49ers. Summerall returned for one game the following year to take Stockton's place alongside Baldinger and provide the play-by-play for the December 9, 2007 game between the Cincinnati Bengals and St. Louis Rams in Cincinnati.
    Apparently the dreaded broken hip that's so dangerous for elderly folks is what got him in the end:

Summerall checked into Zale Lipshy University Hospital in Dallas, Texas, for surgery on a broken hip.[1] He died there on April 16, 2013, of cardiac arrest at the age of 82.[17] After his death, Jerry Jones referred to Summerall as "royalty in the broadcast booth" while Madden called him "a great broadcaster and a great man" and added that "Pat Summerall is the voice of football and always will be."[18] Fellow broadcasters Jim Nantz and Verne Lundquist also made statements on Summerall's life.
    Is he in NFL's Hall in Canton? He sure should be

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    According Wiki his last game included our Bengals:

I remember him calling that game. It was rough. He was a play behind many times. Silence other times. Mispronouncing names, or wrong player altogether.

But it didn't matter. The guys a legend. Heck, even Nuxie was questionable in the booth toward the end there.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

My father-in-law played football with Summerall at the University of Arkansas in the early 1950s. He has expressed concerns about his alcohol consumption in those days.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    My father-in-law played football with Summerall at the University of Arkansas in the early 1950s. He has expressed concerns about his alcohol consumption in those days.
    And drinking remained a problem until he checked into the Ford Center. Then he began reading the Bible, accepted Christ, and he said that turned his life around. He faced his demons, then sent them packing.

Turn Off Ads?