Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Devin Mesoraco

Devin was a top prospect in all of MLB last year, as well as one of the hottest hitters in spring training. I know hanigan works well with the pitchers, but he looks like he's bringing one of dustys toothpicks to the plate. At what point does mes get to at least take on the responsibility of catching at least 3 of the 5 starters? Any thoughts/opinions?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    EMAW

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Mes did not hit all that well last year and was basically the 3rd catcher by end of season. Hanigan is steady, .275, puts it in play, handles pitchers and keeps things even keel. Why mess with a good thing?

I'm not saying to bench the guy completely but hanigan is a guy that pretty much hits the ball through holes in the infield with classic warning track power. I think a lot of mesoracos issues last year were due to inconsistent playing time. The guy might not be the next Johnny bench but he's a lot better than 2 starts in 13 games to a guy that's batting .060 something. I know hanigan isn't that bad but give the dude a day or two to clear his head and give mes a chance to learn the pitchers and get consistent at bats. After all hanigan is a free agent at the seasons end and there's no promise hell come back. Plus if mes gets anywhere near his potential or former prospect ranking, hell be one of the better catchers in the league.

I guess I was asking at what point would you give Mes more of a look. I'm ready now.

ha...ha... so you thought the lineup was Dusty-proofed.

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    ha...ha... so you thought the lineup was Dusty-proofed.
    Haha. At least we are talking about the 8 hole hitter and not the first or second....and you can't deny hanigans baseball IQ behind the plate.

you're right. that's the very reason Stubbs was given 25 lives in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Haha. At least we are talking about the 8 hole hitter and not the first or second....and you can't deny hanigans baseball IQ behind the plate.
    Hanigans baseball iq will buy quite a bit of time combined with dustys lack of confidence in Mes. Hanigan in the past has been very solid with the bat but I would love to see what Mes could do with the bulk of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4486 View Post
    Hanigans baseball iq will buy quite a bit of time combined with dustys lack of confidence in Mes. Hanigan in the past has been very solid with the bat but I would love to see what Mes could do with the bulk of the time.
    Hanigan has been great for the reds the last few years because of the young pitching staff. Now that the staff has matured, perhaps they do not need him as much and would actually help mesoraco mature behind the plate. I think it's time for mesoraco to get the bulk of the playin time. If not, trade him to the AL so he can actually have the chancd his talent level deserves.

I've heard that some of the starters prefer to pitch to Hanagan. Could it be more that they just hate to throw to Mes? Whatever it is, if he isn't going to get the playing time he needs to be in Louisville getting reps.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Hanigan has pretty much exclusively caught Bailey since Bailey got hot back last August/September.

The one bad outing for Bailey was his last game. Guess who caught it? Mez.

Obviously it's in Bailey's head that he prefers Hanigan catching for him. I was listening to WLW on my way in this morning and the first comment out of Bailey's mouth was crediting Hanny for calling a great game and them being on the same page all night.

Mez has his work cut out for him breaking into the catching rotation since Hanigan is preferred by Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto. Not sure about Latos. I know Mez catches Leake though. Look at Leake's numbers. Is it Leake, Mez or both?

Edit:
    If Hanigan would start hitting to his career numbers, this discussion would be moot for the most part. As long as Hanigan struggles, people will be clamoring for the little-used Mez.

I don't see this team going ANYWHERE..and I can say that very confidently if we have three hitting positions batting sub 200. Hanigan,Cozart and Pitcher You win with offense. Until MLB changes the rules so that baseball teams can score runs playing defense. there is no way a player no matter if he's the pitcher favorite continue to start hitting .88 in the lineup playing 11out of13 games. I couldn't make JV baseball with those numbers. If the fan base doesn't rally on this issue we will look back at the end of the season and say "what if". it's a shame the cotton candy, corn puff, local beat writers that cover the team don't hold Dusty's rear to the fire!! but instead try to be friends with the guy to get exclusive interviews, or inside scoops. That's why no local writer goes national because they don't give the fan that uncooked raw prospective that werelooking for. Other cities think we are inbred river people, with low IQs, in a city that is behind in times from the rest of the country. And I can honestly tell you, if the people defend Hanigan over a At one time top prospect in the organization, hitting less than.100 needs to check their family lineage for cousin mating. Because this is common sense..and common sense ain't common apparently.
    Last edited by DWS1125; 04-17-2013 at 08:57 AM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Matt Kemp and his .185 batting average say hi. 2012 = .303, 23 HR's
    Jason Heyward and his .112 batting average say hi. 2012 = .269, 27 HR's
    J Reddick and his .103 batting average say hi. 2012 = .242, 32 HR's.

again We don't have a staff of rookie pitchers. if a pitcher doesn't like throwing to Mez that's his problem. I would force their hand. Hit your locations you won't get crushed. it's not the cathers fault. You don't have to go out and eat with the guy, just hit that mitt. And take ownership. this team says they have good chemistry but they have a love affair with hanigan over Mez. Get over it. There are no CY young winners of this staff or 20 game winning hall of famers. You dont get a personal catcher. the goal is to win the ring. One person on staff with a ring is Bronson. Everyone else fall in line. Dusty has over 600 wins managing w/o a ring being player friendly. Trader Jack has one..You tell me who' s ideology works more? Mangers arent BFFs with the players, just because you wear uniforms or wear sweat bands on the bench. I want to witness a world title. I was alive in 90 but vaguely remember it. I want this title this year no excuses.
    Last edited by DWS1125; 04-17-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Matt Kemp and his .185 batting average say hi. 2012 = .303, 23 HR's
    Jason Heyward and his .112 batting average say hi. 2012 = .269, 27 HR's
    J Reddick and his .103 batting average say hi. 2012 = .242, 32 HR's.
    Well put.

Turn Off Ads?