Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Let mesoraco catch leake and cingrani if he starts tearing it up give him another pitcher if he doesnt hit then the discussion is over. If hanigan starts hitting .275 then he no question Hanigan deserves to start.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gonna be hard to keep him out of lineup , he looks great at the plate right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyredway View Post
    Gonna be hard to keep him out of lineup , he looks great at the plate right now.
    Not really.

~Duhhsty

I hope he becomes a good player but we've heard people clamor for Heisey the last few years and never realized he's a platoon player. Mes needs to show consistency before earning additional playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    I hope he becomes a good player but we've heard people clamor for Heisey the last few years and never realized he's a platoon player. Mes needs to show consistency before earning additional playing time.
    To show consistency a little more consistent playing time is needed. In heisey's case, he was a solid minor leaguer but im pretty sure he wasn't an MLB top 20 prospect like Mez. (Plus no one really knew he wasn't cut out to play everyday until he had the opportunity to do so. Sure their were predictions but it seemed pretty split amongst the reds fans I talked to. I wasn't a member here last year.) So i think that should play into him getting a chance. Mez offers way more upside than heisey IMO. The call for heisey to start everyday was so immense because drew Stubbs had serious strike out issues for years. I'd just like to see Mez get three starts every now and then through the rotation so we can get a real idea of what kind of major league player he is instead of guessing based on vast potential.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    Chris Heisey was never in the same class of player than Devin Mesoraco was. Chris Heisey was never considered a Top 100 prospect in the game and was considered by almost all "prospect gurus" a good 4th outfielder. Devin Mesoraco on the flip side was a Top 15 prospect in the game, the best prospect at his position in the game and considered to be a future All-Star by nearly every "prospect guru" around. Terrible comparison.

Mesoraco is a special player. His bat plays at any position, and if Hannigan can groom him a little bit and teach him some presence behind the plate he can be a very, very special catcher.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Mesoraco is a special player. His bat plays at any position, and if Hannigan can groom him a little bit and teach him some presence behind the plate he can be a very, very special catcher.
    Exactly! It's not one player against the other. Both can be contributors. It's developing mesoracos potential into the best player he can be through working together. In order to do this, I think he not only needs to work with hanigan but use what he's learned in more game situations b

If they both stay healthy this year then I think you'll see Mes getting more starts as the season progresses but Hannigan will still be the primary. Next year Mes will be the primary catcher. JMO.

I really like Hanigan, but also like Mesoraco's potential. I expect Hanigan's bat to warm up and Mesoraco is looking good swinging the bat. The Reds should get very good production out of the catcher position this year if Dusty will ride the hot hand better. I do expect the roles to be reversed next year at the latest.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It was good to see Mez hit. But it was one game.

Need more consistency out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

That is impossible if he doesn't play - we need Dusty to be more consistent with giving him opportunities. If he doesn't start tonight it will be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

It was two games in a row where he's hit well. Just hard to remember the last one because it was a week ago.

I'm being facetious. Lets hope he continues to perform and earn a spot as the starting catcher because he has tremendous upside. I think I his minor league performance as earned him the opportunity to have a legit shot at the job.

Devin is catching tonight. He deserves the start.

With Mes bat hopefully heating up i would really look to add mes to atleast 1 more pitcher. Maybe Arroyo? I feel bailey needs someone more mature behind the plate, just in case he gets flustered and angered like he is prone to do mid game. (i like a little attitude in my pitchers) So with that said. That may take Latos out of the equation also. But Id like to think when Cueto gets back he can pitch to anyone. So maybe add Mes to him and keep him on Leake and any "new" pitchers we bring in that we plan on having in the future to build the relationships between our future pitchers and catcher. Maybe have him catch for bronson if not cueto..or maybe both and have hanigan sharing duties with bronson since he will most likely be gone next year

Turn Off Ads?