Turn Off Ads?

Thread: George Beverly Shea, R.I.P.

George Beverly Shea, R.I.P.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...aham-crusades/

George Beverly Shea dies; sang at Graham crusades

CHARLOTTE, N.C. George Beverly Shea, the booming baritone who sang to millions of Christians at evangelist Billy Graham's crusades, died Tuesday after a brief illness. He was 104.

Spokesman Brent Rinehart of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association said Shea died in Asheville after a brief illness.

Besides his distinctive voice, Shea was known for his trademark rendition of "How Great Thou Art" and his inspirational "The Wonder of It All." He performed live before an estimated 200 million at crusades over the years and recorded more than 70 albums.

Shea was the recipient of ten Grammy nominations, a Grammy Award in 1965, and was presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Grammy organization in 2011. He was also a member of the Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame and was inducted into the Religious Broadcasting Hall of Fame in February 1996. Shea was also inducted into the inaugural class of the Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists' "Hall of Faith" in 2008.

Shea is survived by his wife, Karlene, and his children from his first marriage, Ronald and Elaine. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Erma, who died in 1976.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 04-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: George Beverly Shea, R.I.P.

My wife has always mentioned him as someone her parents listened to quite a bit. I think she has an old record album of his. He was considered one of the greatest gospel music singers of all time. Wow! 104. Singing gospel music must have been really good to him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I got to meet him a few years ago. The amazing thing about him wasn't just the quality of his voice, but that he still sounded good at his age.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

5. Likes:

durl (04-26-2013)

First Jonathan Winters, then Annette Funicello then Pat Summerall, then Thatcher, now this?!?!

Terrible things always happen in 5's.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Wow-I didn't realize he was 104. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?