Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Chapman pitch the 10th?

Re: Will Chapman pitch the 10th?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He won't pitch both games, either #1 or #2

Count on that
    Right, but what if he doesn't PITCH in the 1st game because the Reds win it in the 9th, but has already gotten loose. Does that mean he can't pitch in either?
    Sto Pro Veritate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Right, but what if he doesn't PITCH in the 1st game because the Reds win it in the 9th, but has already gotten loose. Does that mean he can't pitch in either?
    I'm betting that means he threw for the night. They will not have him loosen up 3 times in 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    That doesnt seem to make sense because a) Dusty was willing to use him in a tie game last night b) Utley and Howard will be up and c) the suspended game counts just as much as the "scheduled game" and it could be a blowout...

In my mind, you turn the first game into a "2 at bats for Reds" vs. "1 at bat vs. Chapman for Phils" and you really like your chances...
    I think you're confusing real world logic and Dusty logic. I agree with you. I was being somewhat facetious, but I would not be the least surprised to see Dusty "save" Chapman for the scheduled game.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-17-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm betting that means he threw for the night. They will not have him loosen up 3 times in 24 hours.
    That's my thinking as well. Theat means if you plan on him comming back in the 10th and the Reds end up scoring in the 9th, you've lost him for BOTH games.

I still think I'd run him back out there, but I don't think it's as clear cut as some are making it.

Not sure how long it takes him to get loose. It would be nice to be able to wait and see what happens....if the Reds have 2 outs and nothing brewing, get him up then.
    Sto Pro Veritate

I would pitch Chapman in the 10th. I hope Dusty agrees

I really hope the first game doesn't turn into another long extra inning game.

I agree with other posters, if Chapman is left in for the 10th (if it goes that far), the Reds have a pretty good advantage over the Phillies. I'd like to win the suspended game, even if that means hurting our chances in the regularly scheduled game.

If Chapman warms up, the Reds end up winning in the bottom of the inning, and that means Chapman is done for the day, I'm ok with that. A win is a win.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

That would not be by the book. So it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Seems like a no brainer -- but I've never been able to see into Dusty's brain
    I have a gift of being able to see some of Dusty's visions. Here is what he was thinking about today at lunch:

He won't pitch both games, either #1 or #2

Count on that
    Remember when men were men and Wilbur Wood started both ends of a double header? Or the time he pitched the last five innings of a suspended game and then came back and pitched a shutout in the regularly scheduled game?

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Really good point here and I don't know the answer. I think that would be a factor if warming him up for an inning that might not happen would make him unavailable in gm2. I'm leaning towards he could still go, but Price/Dusty have an answer for this.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Remember when men were men and Wilbur Wood started both ends of a double header? Or the time he pitched the last five innings of a suspended game and then came back and pitched a shutout in the regularly scheduled game?
    Yes, but Wood threw the knuckler so he was an outlier. Even Mike Marshall (106 games 1974) only pitched 2 games in one day (relief in DH 7-7)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    So you're saying men aren't men anymore?

My guess is that Dusty would keep him in, simply to "save" the bullpen if it goes to extras. That way he would have more options in the scheduled game if Leake doesn't go deep into the game.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

We might actually get a long-awaited chance to see Aroldis Chapman "start" a game tonight!

15. Likes:

757690 (04-17-2013),REDREAD (04-17-2013),RichRed (04-17-2013),RiverRat13 (04-17-2013),texasdave (04-17-2013)

Whatever our decisions, there's are much more difficult.

I will be surprised if Chappy's used for the suspended game.

Do we know anything about LeCure? Is he healthy. If so, I'll bet that's who goes.

Turn Off Ads?