Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: Phillies @ Reds 4/17/13

Re: Phillies @ Reds 4/17/13

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The excuse for Broxton's miserable effort the other night was that he needed work. Baker said he was trying to get him into a game. What better time than tonight? I don't get it.
    Dusty being Dusty...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Got a young guy going tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be great; I expect he'll do well. But he could be terrible, go three, and you'll need the whole staff to try to pull out a win. You use the two guys tonight who you're not going to want to use to win tomorrow.
    i suppose thats reasonable. But even if Broxton had an easy inning tonight, that wouldn't preclude him from pitching tomorrow. If he needs work, get it when you're nine runs ahead, not when game is on the line.

Hell of a day! Pick up two wins get back over .500 and gain 1.5 on the Cardinals! Now we get to host Miami for 4 while the Phillies bats are due to wake up and go home to face the Cards for a 4 game set.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Dusty being Dusty...
    Are people really complaining about not using Broxton in a blowout with 4 games coming up and NO days off until may? Complain about what happened the first two days in PITT but this is just complaining and piling on Dusty beacuse everyone else is doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Are people really complaining about not using Broxton in a blowout with 4 games coming up and NO days off until may? Complain about what happened the first two days in PITT but this is just complaining and piling on Dusty beacuse everyone else is doing it.
    In my former life, i taught high school. The English teacher was next door. Everyday, he would at various times say, "people are nuts." He was right most of the times.

Dusty led us to nearly 100 wins last year. That is all (and he really bugs me sometimes, but people are nuts )
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

You obviously don't know me very well. For one thing I have way too big an ego to "pile on". For another, I like the way Baker/Price use the bull pen- they're right a lot more often then the second guessers here are. But tonight was a mistake. Broxton could have used a blow out inning. It would have taken nothing out of him and it would have gotten him back on track for when it really counts.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 04-18-2013 at 01:58 AM.

I would never have considered that having a starting rotation that was pitching well and eating up too many innings would be a problem.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I would never have considered that having a starting rotation that was pitching well and eating up too many innings would be a problem.
    Maybe we could schedule a split squad game to get the bullpen guys some work? :O)

10. Likes:

Raisor (04-18-2013)

Broxton's bad outing begs the question of underwork or just didn't have anything. Assuming it was lack of work is an assumption, not a fact, so making a decision now based on "needing work" as a prudent decision is also not a fact.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Broxton's bad outing begs the question of underwork or just didn't have anything. Assuming it was lack of work is an assumption, not a fact, so making a decision now based on "needing work" as a prudent decision is also not a fact.
    Here's a fact:

He's pitched 2/3rds of an inning since April 7th

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Here's a fact:

That's definitly a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Here's a fact:

Chapman hadn't worked for a week and he didn't miss badly and get hit when he did throw a strike.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Maybe we could schedule a split squad game to get the bullpen guys some work? :O)
    Well...you were the one who said a 12 man bullpen was essential.....so now you fix the problem of not enough work. Irony.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well...you were the one who said a 12 man bullpen was essential.....so now you fix the problem of not enough work. Irony.
    I did? I don't recall that...but I don't recall what I had for breakfast or the names of my kids on a regular basis...so that's not surprising. :O)

Turn Off Ads?