Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cingrani-Fernandez match-up

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Cingrani-Fernandez match-up

Cingrani really battled today. Didn't have command f his fastball early and his slider/curve wasn't too snappy all game. However he stuck it out and got the Reds the result. Great first start to hopefully a great career.

On a personal selfish note, I really wanted Cingrani to come out for the 6th. Bowman ran a contest for this matchup to guess both SP's strikeout total. I went Fernandez 4 and Cingrani 9. I got Jose correct and if Tony would have gotten 1 more I would have won an uncut sheet from Bowman 2013. So close yet so far.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Cingrani can work on his breaking stuff he will be a very good starter. I thought Brantley made a very good comment in yesterdays radio broadcast. He said that with the way Cingrani cocks his wrist when coming to the plate that it is difficult for him to get on top of his breaking pitches which leave them hanging a bit. He also seems to slow his arm speed down a bit when throwing his slider. Im sure hes working on these things and he is still a work in process but with that fastball he has if he develops those secondary pitches he could be dominant. IMO barring injury or any reverse in his progress he takes Bronsons spot next year. One more thing, I loved how focused and fiery he was. After the 5th him and Mes were walking back to the dugout and you could just see the intensity on his face.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    He also seems to slow his arm speed down a bit when throwing his slider.
    I had relatively good seats on the first base side last night. One time it really stood out to me that he slowed his arm down on the slider. It was only that one time that I turned to my friend and pointed it out, but it was quite obvious on that one pitch to me. I did not see that happen in Louisville and even compared some video frame by frame on the breaking ball to the fastball and they were within 1 frame of each other on the release point, which isn't going to be picked up by the human eye. Perhaps it was just a thing where he was thinking about it too much and was trying to do something a little different with that particular pitch?

I was at the game last night and was very impressed. He definitely needs to make some progress with his secondary pitches, but a left-hander with a fastball like that is pretty exciting.

It's so nice to have talented pitching prospects come through the system and not have to be rushed like Bailey was.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I know Cingrani needs to work on his secondary pitches, but my opinion has always been that the most important pitch for a starter to master is the well placed fastball. Cingrani seems to have that mastered.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Already looking forward to Cingrani's start against the Cubs. Their offense is struggling, so he has a good chance to start out 2-0.

Turn Off Ads?