Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani "debut"

Tony Cingrani "debut"

Did Tony Cingrani not make his MLB debut in 2012? It seems like many news sources are reporting tonight as his major league debut, why is this? Are they referring to his MLB starting debut?

We can also use this thread to discuss his "debut" tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Tony Cingrani "debut"

Tony pitched in 3 games last year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ingrto01.shtml

Marty is calling it his "2013 debut", other media members are less than intelligent or informed. Maybe they are just lazy.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

They will look back and say it was the starting debut of the cy young winner . Its my first time seeing pitch very excited!

Yeah, even MLB Network was saying it was his MLB debut. Dumb

We do not get Reds games every day in Charlotte until hockey season is over so I was unable to watch it, how did he look? The stat line looked solid, a lot of pitches but they must have had a hard time figuring him out.

What did you guys that got to watch think?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    We do not get Reds games every day in Charlotte until hockey season is over so I was unable to watch it, how did he look? The stat line looked solid, a lot of pitches but they must have had a hard time figuring him out.

What did you guys that got to watch think?
    He had some control issues. He couldn't keep it in the zone consistently and was pretty much always pitching from behind in the count. That's where the bad ends mostly.

He relies heavily on his fastball (we already knew that) but he's very, very good with it. He sprays it around everywhere in the zone and outside of it. I think his most deceptive pitch is an eye high fastball as guys were swinging at it all night and either popping up or striking out.

He's very composed and aware of the field. I think some of the missing might have been because of the wind and the first start jitters, but he looked pretty good regardless. Also his 'curveball' was effective and his change-up was nice too. I think as he incorporates them a little more and develops them a little more he could easily be a top of the rotation pitcher.

As a side note, too, I find that his delivery is very controlled and smooth. Even though he was around 100 pitches he didn't look like he was labouring at all.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

I think it was really tough to tell how this game will translate. First off, Miami is a bad team. They are really bad. I wonder how he would have fared against a better line up. Also, Miami looked like they went up with the mentality of seeing a lot of pitches. Their game plan must have been to try and see if Cingrani unravels or gets tired. Neither happened. He was over 100 pitches in just 5 innings. Dusty left him in long enough to get the win.

On the other hand, the Reds started out at the plate with that same 'patience' or game plan of trying to see alot of pitches and get deep into the count. Somewhere along the line they noticed Fernandez was throwing fast ball right down the middle on every first pitch. When they got aggressive on the first pitch, the Reds started to rack up the hits. Obviously this philosophy worked.

His motion was very deceptive, it looked like his speed wasn't much and anyone could hit him. That is a great thing, as he matures it will be interesting to see if he can get better command of other pitches.

I also think its a good thing he is starting off vs Marlins and Cubs and building some confidence before facing Nationals who owned us last year in DC.

Don't know why broadcasters don't do thier homework. During the Nats series they referred to Hannagan as last years backup catcher. Of course that's the Nats broadcasters who will remind no one of Vin Scully.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

Hopefully some of his control issues were first start jitters. Even though he looked like he was using the high fastball to try to induce the K, he looked like he was missing high at times which can lead to issues. If he can keep the fastball lower in the zone except when going for the high swinging strike and keep the batters more off balance with his off speed stuff, then I think he'll be a fine big league pitcher.

For a guy making his first start I thought he did very well. Sure it's the Marlins, but they're still an MLB caliber team and he is in all reality a Triple A pitcher whose feet are barely wet in the majors. I thought he got much better after the 2nd inning. His pitch count per inning started go down and he started throwing more strikes.
    I've said all winter they talk about this team winning the division and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Also his 'curveball' was effective and his change-up was nice too.
    Fangraphs has it as a slider. A 77-mph slider.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Fangraphs has it as a slider. A 77-mph slider.

The broadcast called it a curveball.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

The pitch IS WHAT WE THOUGHT IT WAS.

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?