Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Should I have called the police?

Should I have called the police?

Today I was involved in a very minor car accident. Was pulling out of a Wendy's in my S10, and was rear-ended by an elderly woman in a Buick. She followed me into a parking lot across the street, where we assessed the damage. We're both fine, but my truck had a decent dent in the back. All I got was her name, address, and ph.#. Looking back, I probably should have gotten more info. However, later, my parents (who were unreachable at the time) said I should have called the police. The internet as a whole seems a bit split on this. SO, what do you think, Redszone??

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should I have called the police?

You're taking a risk. I once rear-ended a nice lady who simply asked for my name/number, etc., and I totally gave her fake name and number and got away with it.

Kidding! She went to the dealer, they gave her an estimate, and I paid it. It was cheaper than paying for increased insurance.

Several years later, a girl rear-ended me, and I did the same for her (just asked her to pay the minor damage out of pocket), and she came through.

I would have grabbed license plate and insurance information if I were you just in case, though.

They call me "chef"

Depends on your local laws or insurance terms. Some places recommend a police officer write up a police report for any damage above $500. If you are "unsure" of how to handle the post-accident steps, a police officer will walk you and the other party through them. If you are the innocent party or you become injured in the accident, that police report will help you tremendously. Good faith usually ends once the insurance companies get involved and you'll want something legal in writing to protect you and help cover your damages. Otherwise, you open yourself up to more liability and risk than an increased monthly rate.

It is always better to call the police.
    That said, I can recall a couple of times years ago that I didn't call the police after minor impacts where the other driver was at fault and nothing bad happened as a result.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I trust no one. Call the police, especially if you are the innocent party. Your insurance won't go up because someone rear-ended you.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If you call the police, they will write one of you a ticket, "because they have to, if they are called."

So... no I wouldn't have called the po-po's, but I would have taken a bunch of pictures , exchanged info, and of course gotten the license #.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If you call the police, they will write one of you a ticket, "because they have to, if they are called."
    I can't speak regarding states other than West Virigina, but that it is not correct in WV.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

They call me "chef"

I've never known that to be true in California. I've been involved with 3 accidents where police were called and no one got a ticket.

Now if you get in an accident and spill your beer all over the wheel and dash, yeah, maybe the red and blue sirens might not be the most welcome sight. But if you're not doing something illegal, I don't see how a cop can write you a mandatory default ticket as a penance for doing one of his jobs as an officer.

But that does remind me. I've had 2 younger cops try and talk their way out of writing a report. I told them "Thanks but I'll still take a report" and both times it has kept the other insurance company from being weasels. You'll be surprised how petty they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You're taking a risk. I once rear-ended a nice lady who simply asked for my name/number, etc., and I totally gave her fake name and number and got away with it.

Kidding! She went to the dealer, they gave her an estimate, and I paid it. It was cheaper than paying for increased insurance.

Several years later, a girl rear-ended me, and I did the same for her (just asked her to pay the minor damage out of pocket), and she came through.

I would have grabbed license plate and insurance information if I were you just in case, though.
    You don't need a wingman. You need a designated driver.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

So... no I wouldn't have called the po-po's, but I would have taken a bunch of pictures , exchanged info, and of course gotten the license #.
    It depends where the accident happens. I had a lady back out of a parking spot into me in a Toys R Us parking lot. So we called the police and he showed up and said there isn't much he can really do since it was on private property. Now, maybe he just didn't want to deal with it given that it was rather minor (only a few hundred dollars worth of damage - a dent that needed a small amount of paint once popped out and buffed).

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I trust no one. Call the police, especially if you are the innocent party. Your insurance won't go up because someone rear-ended you.
    This. It is OK to be nice, but unfortunately there are enough bad people out there that I do not trust anyone. The lady could deny it and then it becomes "your word against mine". I try to be nice to everyone (hold comments lol), but cars are not cheap to fix. If she does not like it, then quit running into other people.

And Doug is right, in OH private property accidents will not be cited. However, the police will file a report which is your golden ticket if the lady denies it.

Don't fear the police. Fear your insurance company.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

14. Likes:

goreds2 (04-23-2013)

Kurt Stillwell Fan hairmetalfreek's Avatar

I suppose it depends where you are. I don't know what Ohio laws are. In Kentucky, it's better to have something on file, and some insurance companies require a police report.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It depends where the accident happens. I had a lady back out of a parking spot into me in a Toys R Us parking lot. So we called the police and he showed up and said there isn't much he can really do since it was on private property. Now, maybe he just didn't want to deal with it given that it was rather minor (only a few hundred dollars worth of damage - a dent that needed a small amount of paint once popped out and buffed).
    Same thing happened to me. Got rear-ended in a parking lot. Called the cops. Cops said there wasn't much they could do because it is on private property, but if it was on public property, they would have to cite someone.

So, if there are no injuries, in Ohio, on public property... if you call the cops, they will come out and write someone a ticket, to justify the use of man-hours.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?