Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Zack Cozart - Hitting second

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zack Cozart - Hitting second

2013 so far, 30 AB's .400 .438 .700 1.138 3 doubles, 2 HR's 2 BB's

2012 102 AB's .324 .378 .490 .868 2 HR 3 triples 5 doubles.

2011 34 AB's .324 .324 .500 .824 2 HR

Yeah, the sample is smallish, but he's got some pop, seems very comfortable getting all those FB's hitting in front of Votto PLUS the fact that Choo is likely on base almost half the time in front of him. For everyone that wants to tinker with the lineup, I'd say this is the most optimal lineup the Reds have 1-5, and even better IMO than when Ludwick was in the lineup. I prefer BP far away from hitting 2nd.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Re: Zack Cozart - Hitting second

I agree...if and when Ludwick gets back I'd leave it as is and put him behind Frazier...

I agree with both of you, completely. Plus, it gives BROTHER the luxury of easing back into the lineup.

We still have a long time until Luddy gets back. Obviously its best that Cozart stays there for now, but I'll wait until Luddy is actually back to see how Cozart's numbers are then.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Cozart batting second and BP batting cleanup might have saved the season.

Then again, would be nice if our ace pitcher and our best set-up man weren't on the DL, but things aren't looking as bleak as they were recently.

The beauty is that we're getting both of those pitchers back this season and they'll be well rested.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

I recall last season that Stubbs had a a brief spell where he was doing well in the #2 hole. That didn't last and I don't expect Cozart to deliver the OB needed from a quality #2 hitter over the long haul.

Eventually someone else will need to do that job.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-20-2013),Tom Servo (04-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I recall last season that Stubbs had a a brief spell where he was doing well in the #2 hole. That didn't last and I don't expect Cozart to deliver the OB needed from a quality #2 hitter over the long haul.

Eventually someone else will need to do that job.
    Exactly. Players' performance may vary in different spots in the lineup. But most of that variance is due to randomness, not a change in their actual ability to perform. I'm glad Cozart has been hitting well in the 2nd spot, but the reality is that he had a .043 BABIP batting 7th and a .385 BABIP batting 2nd this year. In both places, it's small sample size variance.

Over time, we have a pretty good idea of how Cozart's going to hit -- and it won't look good batting 2nd.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The two spots different this year. With a runner on almost half the time, the pitcher is in the stretch. More fast balls, fewer splits and sliders. Nothing that bounces. With cozart's power, it leads to good AB's.

It really shows the trickle down effect, and just how good Votto was last year before he got hurt.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

"No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Pitch Breakdown for Cozart in 2012 and 2013 in the #2 spot vs everywhere else combined:

Fastball
    2nd: 64%
    EE: 63%

Slider
    2nd: 15%
    EE: 17%

Change Up
    2nd: 10%
    EE: 8%

Curveball
    2nd: 11%
    EE: 11%

He really isn't seeing a different selection of pitches.

Turn Off Ads?