Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will be the Reds everyday LF in 2013?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shin Soo-Choo (re-signed with Hamilton in CF)

35 51.47%
  • Ryan Ludwick (fully recovered from injury)

28 41.18%
  • Donald Lutz (minor league breakout in 2013)

4 5.88%
  • Other (please list below)

1 1.47%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Plays LF in 2014?

Who Plays LF in 2014?

Pretty straightforward (obviously this is meant for 2014).
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who Plays LF in 2013?

The more I think about this question (that everyone seems to be weighing in on) the more I am comfortable with offering Choo no more than a 3-year extension, and probably no more than $35M total. And that's only if Hamilton is ready to assume CF and you can trade/shed Ludwick's contract. Of course, I'd offer the one year qualifying offer in either scenario.

The Reds need to allocate some of that money to locking up Cueto, Latos, Bailey and/or Frazier long-term. If the lefty-hitting Lutz and the righty-hitting Y-Rod continue their (very) early season breakout performances all season long, it will make this an easier decision (not to extend Choo). Assuming they keep it up, those guys could/should be big league ready at some point in 2014 and definitely by 2015 after Ludwick's contract expires.

Just like we're leveraging cheap talent with Cozart, Frazier and Mesoraco at SS, 3B and C respectively, we will need to do this for CF and LF in the 2015-2017 periods while we have a lot of money locked up in Votto, Bruce, Phillips, and hopefully 3 of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Frazier and maybe even Cozart or Mez.

In other words, Hamilton and Lutz/Y-Rod will need to do for those teams what Frazier and Cozart are doing for this team, and Votto and Bruce did for the 2010 club: be cheap starting talent.

Of course, hopefully by 2016 or 2017 Jesse Winker will be nipping at their heels as well.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-19-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Who Plays LF in 2014?

I'm assuming you meant 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm assuming you meant 2014?
    Yes. Thank you.

My vote, unless Choo is willing to accept a 1 year qualifying offer or a 3 year $35M extension, would be for 2014 to be a platoon between Ludwick and Lutz.

This of course assumes Hamilton is ready and Lutz continues with his minor league breakout performance.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yes. Thank you.

My vote, unless Choo is willing to accept a 1 year qualifying offer or a 3 year $35M extension, would be for 2014 to be a platoon between Ludwick and Lutz.

This of course assumes Hamilton is ready and Lutz continues with his minor league breakout performance.
    Shane Victorino got 3 years/$39M. Choo is getting more than that.

Then I let him go and take the draft pick if Hamilton, Lutz and Y-Rod all continue to hit.
    Go BLUE!!!

Especially if he continues to hit like this, we've got no chance of resigning Choo. Besides, who's going to take Ludwick?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The more Choo hits, the sadder I become at the thought of him skipping town. He seems to be on his way to a whale of a contract though, so I'd guess Ludwick. Hope he's healthy.

I hope it's Choo but he really could cost to much.

Just think tho if

1) Billy H can get on base
    2) Choo
    3) Votto

that is scary

Choo is going to have a monster year and Borris is his agent. I don't think we'll pony up that money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Exactly. Choo might have the best year of his career. The Yankees may have their worst record in two decades. The Cubs and Mariners may be anxious to add offense and have always pursued Asian players. Boras is his agent. If Choo doesn't get a deal for 5-7 years and 75-110 million, I'll be shocked.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Exactly. Choo might have the best year of his career. The Yankees may have their worst record in two decades. The Cubs and Mariners may be anxious to add offense and have always pursued Asian players. Boras is his agent. If Choo doesn't get a deal for 5-7 years and 75-110 million, I'll be shocked.
    If that's the case, then bye bye Choo.
    Go BLUE!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Nobody. Hamilton is fast enough to cover both center and left. The batting order might present a problem though. :O)

Seriously, don't count out Heisey in this equation. We're expecting Hamilton to be ready...he very well might not be. Ludwick, Heisey, Bruce is something we may need to prepare for.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Seriously, don't count out Heisey in this equation. We're expecting Hamilton to be ready...he very well might not be. Ludwick, Heisey, Bruce is something we may need to prepare for.
    82 wins, too.

17. Likes:

Benihana (04-20-2013),Tom Servo (04-20-2013),WVRedsFan (04-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?