Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cingrani - Jim Callis Write-up

Cingrani - Jim Callis Write-up

Sorry, it is paid content on ESPN, but Callis wrote up 7 paragraphs on Cingrani.

Cingrani profile; top 10 prospects

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/b...spect-rankings

The one tiny exerpt I'll post, since there has been a lot of discussion of it, is this...

Scouts have never liked his slider, which lacks bite and consistency, and he has gone to a slower version of it this year that he can at least throw for strikes.
    As a sidenote, I don't think Cingrani is a lock to stay up at the Show even if he is pitching well. He'll obviously be here until Cueto is back, but there is going to have be a major difference between his performance and Leake's for him to stay up. And there could be, but if both of their performances to date will be comparable when Cueto gets back, I think Cingrani will be sent back down.

2. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cingrani - Jim Callis Write-up

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Sorry, it is paid content on ESPN, but Callis wrote up 7 paragraphs on Cingrani.

Cingrani profile; top 10 prospects

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/b...spect-rankings

The one tiny exerpt I'll post, since there has been a lot of discussion of it, is this...

As a sidenote, I don't think Cingrani is a lock to stay up at the Show even if he is pitching well. He'll obviously be here until Cueto is back, but there is going to have be a major difference between his performance and Leake's for him to stay up. And there could be, but if both of their performances to date will be comparable when Cueto gets back, I think Cingrani will be sent back down.
    You might be right, but IMO it would be a poor use of resources when we have a starting LF who is OPSing .483 (and has a sub-.700 OPS over the last two seasons). Unless Ludwick comes back within a week or two of Cueto's return and Cingrani's subsequent demotion -which seems unlikely-, I'd rather trade Leake and upgrade the OF (as well as the minors).
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-19-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You might be right, but IMO its a bad use of resources when we have a starting LF who is OPSing .483 (and has a sub-.700 OPS over the last two seasons). Unless Ludwick comes back within a week or two of Cueto's return (and Cingrani's subsequent demotion), I'd rather trade Leake and upgrade the OF (as well as the minors).
    I'm just not sure Leake's value is as high as you believe it to be. Even if he has a few more great starts, I don't think Leake alone will net any valuable piece(s) unless it involves taking on salary.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm just not sure Leake's value is as high as you believe it to be. Even if he has a few more great starts, I don't think Leake alone will net any valuable piece(s) unless it involves taking on salary.
    You don't think Leake could bring back 3/4 of a season of FA-to-be Jacoby Ellsbury?
    Go BLUE!!!

You don't think Leake could bring back 3/4 of a season of FA-to-be Jacoby Ellsbury?
    Dusty might start drinking in the dugout if Walt forced him to go L-L-L to start every game.

8. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-19-2013)

will the reds take on an extra $4M? Not that that's a ton of money, but there were reports of salary room being tight. But more importantly, I don't see any chance Boston trades Ellsbury when they are at the top of their division. Not sure they will be there all year long, but it's a down year and they very well could be in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Dusty might start drinking in the dugout if Walt forced him to go L-L-L to start every game.
    Forced him? Unless Dusty had a lineup of all lefties, I'm pretty sure he'd do what he had to in order to keep them split up.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

edabbs44 (04-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Forced him? Unless Dusty had a lineup of all lefties, I'm pretty sure he'd do what he had to in order to keep them split up.
    Go with 8 pitchers so he can have extra RH pinch hitters?

That would be like us trading choo would it not?

Unless Ludwick comes back within a week or two of Cueto's return and Cingrani's subsequent demotion -which seems unlikely-, I'd rather trade Leake and upgrade the OF (as well as the minors).
    I doubt there are too many teams in the trade market at this time of year. Nobody is looking to trade in April unless you make them a stupid offer in their favor. The Reds are stuck with what they've got for the next couple of months.

15. Likes:

Jones1 (04-20-2013)

Are the 1st place Red Sox willing to trade away their starting CF for a guy who might not even be an upgrade over John Lackey?

Do the Reds have another $6MM in the budget to cover 3/4 of Ellsbury's salary?

I think the answer to both questions is no.

17. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-20-2013),Jones1 (04-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Are the 1st place Red Sox willing to trade away their starting CF for a guy who might not even be an upgrade over John Lackey?
    John Lackey has thrown 4 major league innings in the last two years. The last season where he pitched (2011) he had an ERA of 6.41. And he turns 35 this year. I think it's safe to assume that Mike Leake would be a significant upgrade over THAT.

Do the Reds have another $6MM in the budget to cover 3/4 of Ellsbury's salary?

I think the answer to both questions is no.
    I think you have no idea what the answer to that question is.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    That would be like us trading choo would it not?
    No. If the Sox fall out of contention (I said IF), they will likely look to move Ellsbury. Jackie Bradley is their CF of the future. Ellsbury is more than 70% to leave via FA. Unlike Boston, the Reds are going all-in this year. Unlike Boston, the Reds (should be) real Championship contenders this year.
    Go BLUE!!!

No. If the Sox fall out of contention (I said IF), they will likely look to move Ellsbury. Jackie Bradley is their CF of the future. Ellsbury is more than 70% to leave via FA. Unlike Boston, the Reds are going all-in this year. Unlike Boston, the Reds (should be) real Championship contenders this year.
    You asked if Leake would buy 3/4 of a season of Ellsbury. Sox would need to fall out of contention 40 games in to get 3/4 of a season. Sox are much more likely to re-sign Ellsbury than Reds are Choo. I think they like idea of moving Ellsbury to corner OF spot eventually if Bradley can stick in MLB. Hasn't shown that is a sure thing yet. I know you like the idea of Ellsbury but not happening from a Red Sox perspective.

The Reds will not trade Leake until his contract/rights are up, I'm guessing. A realistic replacement for Arroyo in the rotation long term, affordable, they don't come along that often. No way they move him for peanuts.

22. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-20-2013),jimbo (04-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?