Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Extending Our Current Guys - Time and Money: What's Your Threshold?

Extending Our Current Guys - Time and Money: What's Your Threshold?

No this is not a Bengals board. The Bengals only offseason plan year after year is "extending our current guys."

We have four core players that COULD be up for extension:

Mat Latos
    Homer Bailey
    Todd Frazier
    Shin Soo-Choo

Maybe Johnny Cueto as well.

How would you sequence these extensions (who would you go to first?) And what would be the maximum deal in length and dollars you would settle for each of these guys if you're the Reds?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Extending Our Current Guys - Time and Money: What's Your Threshold?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    No this is not a Bengals board. The Bengals only offseason plan year after year is "extending our current guys."

We have four core players that COULD be up for extension:

Mat Latos
    Homer Bailey
    Todd Frazier
    Shin Soo-Choo

Maybe Johnny Cueto as well.

How would you sequence these extensions (who would you go to first?) And what would be the maximum deal in length and dollars you would settle for each of these guys if you're the Reds?
    Frazier isn't even arbitration eligible until 2015 according to Cot's.

I'd gauge interest from the players on their willingness to sign long term. If they are willing and excited to be a Red longer term, then get numbers from their agents and see how it fits the budget.

If Bailey doesn't want to be here long term, find out now. Same goes for any of them, not singling out Homer.

Some guys WANT to test free agency. Some guys don't like changing teams a lot. Some guys can weigh the importance of both the $$$ and winning. Other guys are content to be the highest paid player on a bad team. Some guys simply like their teammates, coaches, fans, where they are and might be willing to take a bit of a discount to remain where they like it. So many factors. But the Reds need to start finding out now who is legitimately interested in signing with the Reds longer term.

1. Choo - simply because of urgency. 3 year - 45 million.
    2. Latos - 5 years 80 million.
    3. Bailey - as good as gone.
    4. Frazier - no extension at this point. Not a FA until 2018.

Cueto- no extension but option picked up for 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    1. Choo - simply because of urgency. 3 year - 45 million.
    2. Latos - 5 years 80 million.
    3. Bailey - as good as gone.
    4. Frazier - no extension at this point. Not a FA until 2018.

Cueto- no extension but option picked up for 2015.
    I like this thinking although I'd put Latos before Choo. Bailey too if he's willing to sign long-term, if not, that's good to know too.

1. Latos - 5 years $80MM
    2. Bailey - Just gauge either way. Would try to put together a U.Jimenez/Shields type deal with team options. If he wants FA, you can up the offer to Choo.
    3. Choo - 3 years $40MM (anymore than this I'd let him walk, unless you know Bailey is going to try FA)
    4. Frazier - If he continues at this pace up through the ASB, I'd see if he's willing to do a Longoria style deal. Something like 7 years, $35MM. Would be great to know he's going to be here for a long time, and given his positional flexibility it wouldn't hamper the team's options.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-22-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I like this thinking although I'd put Latos before Choo. Bailey too if he's willing to sign long-term, if not, that's good to know too.

1. Latos - 5 years $80MM
    2. Bailey - Just gauge either way. Would try to put together a U.Jimenez/Shields type deal with team options.
    3. Choo - 3 years $40MM (anymore than this I'd let him walk)
    4. Frazier - If he continues at this pace up through the ASB, I'd see if he's willing to do a Longoria style deal. Something like 7 years, $35MM. Would be great to know he's going to be here for a long time.
    You do realize Victorino got 3/39m last year right? If it is a 3 year deal for Choo we are looking at 3/45-50 minimum. And to be honest with the way he has been playing he deserves more.

My priority list would be:

1. Latos
    2. Choo
    3. Bailey
    4. Frazier (mostly because he's not that pressing an issue)

I like JHU's numbers for Latos and Choo. Much as I adore the guy right now, I really wouldn't want to go past three years on Choo. That's probably not realistic given that hes a Boras guy, but with a number of big contracts already signed the Reds need to make some good short-term commitments.

Latos is the I have pegged for a long-term deal. I'd hitch to his wagon.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My priority list would be:

1. Latos
    2. Choo
    3. Bailey
    4. Frazier (mostly because he's not that pressing an issue)

I like JHU's numbers for Latos and Choo. Much as I adore the guy right now, I really wouldn't want to go past three years on Choo. That's probably not realistic given that hes a Boras guy, but with a number of big contracts already signed the Reds need to make some good short-term commitments.

Latos is the I have pegged for a long-term deal. I'd hitch to his wagon.
    Agree with all of the above, except it would be great to know where Bailey's head is at so you can act accordingly with Choo.

Would stick on 3 years with Choo but could be more flexible with the money depending on Bailey. After 3 years, guys like Winker, Rodriguez, Gelalich, Rahier, and/or Rosa may be ready, and Frazier could be flexed (3B/LF) accordingly. Plus we'll likely need payflex to keep the pitchers at that point.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-22-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
    You do realize Victorino got 3/39m last year right? If it is a 3 year deal for Choo we are looking at 3/45-50 minimum. And to be honest with the way he has been playing he deserves more.
    I HATE trying to speak for the Reds payroll, but unless Bailey is definitely going to walk, I'm not sure the Reds can afford to pay Choo $17M+ per year. Not saying he won't get it somewhere else (he will) but I just don't think the Reds can allocate resources that way.

Now if they can unload Ludwick and Broxton, that may be another story.
    Go BLUE!!!

I HATE trying to speak for the Reds payroll, but unless Bailey is definitely going to walk, I'm not sure the Reds can afford to pay Choo $17M+ per year. Not saying he won't get it somewhere else (he will) but I just don't think the Reds can allocate resources that way.

Now if they can unload Ludwick and Broxton, that may be another story.
    I agree we need to know where Bailey stands. But with Corcino and Stephenson still coming, I think the more pressing need is Choo. But I do agree that being able to unload Ludwick and Broxton would help.

Turn Off Ads?