Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardest hitters?

Hardest hitters?

Sometimes I'm just amazed at how loud ball-meeting-bat is when Frazier and Mesoraco bat, and that got me to thinking... in your time as Reds fans, who hit the ball the hardest? Jose Guillen distinctly stands out in my mind as a guy that just MURDERED the ball when he made hard contact. Who else comes to mind for those that have been around longer?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vlady, Bench, Brett, Jim Rice, Willie Horton, Will Clarke all come to mind

Re: Hardest hitters?

Big Papi used to hit some serious missiles. Piazza as well.

Definitely Vlad wins it for me. Dude was in a strength competition with the god of gravity and he often won.

But I think Mez hits the hardest line drives on the team by far.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

When he's not scuffling like now, that kid Stanton is a beast. And the way the ball sounds coming off the bat of Hamilton & Harper....*shudders*

I can't comment of Trout as I haven't seen him much. But everything I hear about him puts him on Harper's level.

On the Reds....right now it's Mesoraco. Although, when he connects...Heisey can launch some missiles.

Going back in time, for me it was Bench. It just had a different sound off the bat.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-19-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Sometimes I'm just amazed at how loud ball-meeting-bat is when Frazier and Mesoraco bat, and that got me to thinking... in your time as Reds fans, who hit the ball the hardest? Jose Guillen distinctly stands out in my mind as a guy that just MURDERED the ball when he made hard contact. Who else comes to mind for those that have been around longer?
    Hearing the ball go off Josh Hamilton's bat was incredible. Though he was not a Reds' player, Larry Walker was fun to watch too.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

DON PAVLETICH....Not consistent batter enough to beat Ed Bailey when hr first came up...then not good enough fefensively to beat out Johnny Edwards....then how do you beat out a kid from Oklahoma named Bench? But Pav smashed the ball Hard when he connected. He proba ly would have been a decade long starter on half the teams in the 60s but on the Reds he could never get past thr #1 guy. Reds had hellacious catching with their starters and Pav as the backup though.

10. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-20-2013)

I'm aging myself here, but I remember one night in Riverfront Stadium when George Foster launched one into the red seats with that black bat and it sounded like nothing I'd ever heard before.

Buck O'Neill said the sound off Bo Jackson's bat reminded him of the sound off Babe Ruth's bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Buck O'Neill said the sound off Bo Jackson's bat reminded him of the sound off Babe Ruth's bat.
    First one I thought of too.
    I barely saw him in his prime but Mickey Mantle deserves mention- he hit rockets when he connected.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I wouldn't have wanted to be a bad-bodied & old 3rd base coach when Gary Sheffield was hitting.

15. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-20-2013)

Kevin Mitchell's another guy who hit the ball ridiculously hard. Even his outs made a distinct noise.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

17. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (04-20-2013)

Dave Parker Hit It Awfully Hard.

19. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (04-20-2013)

Frank Howard

21. Likes:

RedlegJake (04-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?