Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardest hitters?

Re: Hardest hitters?

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/inde...=sob&sort=desc

I would say it's probably Justin Upton right now.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dave Winfield.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Richie Allen, aka Dick Allen, hit the ball very hard. Another player from my childhood who was diminutive in size but hit the ball really hard and far was Cincinnati's own Jimmy Wynn, "The Toy Cannon."

5. Likes:

RedlegJake (04-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Richie Allen, aka Dick Allen, hit the ball very hard. Another player from my childhood who was diminutive in size but hit the ball really hard and far was Cincinnati's own Jimmy Wynn, "The Toy Cannon."
    Dick Allen is a great choice. Others who hit the ball hard consistently: Al Oliver, Bill Madlock, Billy Wiliiams, Rico Carty, Tony Oliva and Steve Garvey.

People who only remember the old man looping singles into the opposite field won't believe it, but a young Pete Rose hit the ball hard 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Guys like Bench, Foster and Eric Davis hit it hard when they squared it up, but guys who consistently hit the ball hard were usually not the big home run guys. If we're looking for guys who occassionaly hit it hard, heck Wily Mo Pena might be high up the list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Wily Mo
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Wily Mo
    Indeed, he used to kill balls.

At a game in Philly a while back, he hit a ball during BP that seriously must have went 500+ to dead center. It landed in a place that is simply not feasible and was probably he greatest display of strength I've ever seen at a ballpark.

I really thought he was going to be something special.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Sheffield was quickest bat I've seen. Currently I think Bryce Harper has the strongest cut and would make me most afraid to be an infielder. Attacks the ball like no one else right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Sheffield was quickest bat I've seen. Currently I think Bryce Harper has the strongest cut and would make me most afraid to be an infielder. Attacks the ball like no one else right now.
    I agree about Sheffield, also Jack Clark never got cheated.

(Non-roid only guys, not sure about Sheffield, but from the day he arrived he had tremendous bat speed)

From years ago, Mantle, Killebrew, Allen, Mays, McCovey, & Reggie Jackson.
    For the Reds, George Foster.
    Last edited by Falcon7; 04-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.

I never got to see him play but I've gotta believe Teddy Ballgame deserves mention. He regularly drilled hits through an extreme shift while hitting .340+ with power. To hit for that high an average while always pulling the ball into the teeth of the defense Williams had to have hit the ball hard.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Frank Thomas used to crush the ball. And, even though he didn't hit it as a far as others, Paul Molitor's hits seemed to get where they were going faster than anyone else. The crack of the ball off his bat was something special.

Though, if I'm being honest, Barroid Bonds hit the ball harder than any human ever. He was terrifying.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Ron Gant jumps to mind. Guy was like a mini-dynamite keg when he made contact.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Wily Mo could put on a show in batting practice. In Cleveland I saw him hit a ball that would've flown over the truck parked in left field (similar to that Toyota promo they run at GABP where nobody actually hits the truck), but it curved a couple of feet foul.

The other memorable shot I saw from a Red was actually from a Bat in a AAA game. For those familiar with 5/3 Field in Toledo, Ruben Mateo crushed a ball so hard that it likely would've make it completely over Monroe St. had it not hit the scoreboard.

Gary Sheffield, Cliff Floyd (dude crushed line drives like I crush coke) and Willie Greene.

George Foster hit the single hardest line drive I've ever seen in my life in 1977.

It looked like the shortstop might have been able to catch it with a well timed leap but it ended up a line drive HR that got out faster than I've ever seen in 40 years of watching baseball.

Bonds. He was pretty ridiculous. Bagwell too.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?