Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else becoming concerned with Votto

Re: Anyone else becoming concerned with Votto

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    .328 / .522 / .516. / 1.038

As soon as this slump ends, he should be fine.
    It must be nice to emerge from your worst slumps with a 1.000+OPS.

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-21-2013),jojo (04-21-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think anyone needs to be embarrassed except for the ones berating people for making a point they disagree with.
    It's sadly the norm around here lately. Quite the contentious forum.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

5. Likes:

wlf WV (05-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Anyone else becoming concerned with people being concerned with Votto?
    I'm concerned I had my head up my butt.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

WrongVerb (04-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    And By The Way, "ANYONE WHO HAS ANY BASEBALL SENSE COULD SEE THAT VOTTO WAS NOT HIMSELF AT THE PLATE, REGARDLESS OF YOUR STAT."
    Was anyone really arguing otherwise? I think most people just assumed that, like most humans that have played this game, he was frustrated and it was causing him to do things at the plate he doesn't usually do. They figured it was just mental and once he connected on a few pitches, he'd snap out of it as happens 99.99% of the time a player slumps.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    .328 / .522 / .516. / 1.038

As soon as this slump ends, he should be fine.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think anyone needs to be embarrassed except for the ones berating people for making a point they disagree with.
    Then don't be embarrassed.

Though when you look at it, starting a thread about having huge concerns about a player who had very good stats, and two days later he has exceptionally good stats, is hilariously funny.

I know everyone knows that small sample sizes in baseball are meaningless and that baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.

But many seem to forget it on a daily basis.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 04-21-2013 at 09:51 PM.

11. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-21-2013),bubbachunk (04-21-2013),Raisor (04-22-2013)

I have NEVER been so happy to be Wr ... wr ... wr ... wr-ong!
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I very much hope you're right and I'm wrong. This an argument I don't want to win.
    Feeling better about it now? Votto looked awfully good the past 48 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Then don't be embarrasse.

Though when you look at it, starting a thread about having huge concerns about a player who had very good stats, and two days later he has exceptionally good stats, is hilariously funny.

I know everyone knows that small sample sizes in baseball are meaningless and that baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.

Well what we do know is that it's not true that anyone with baseball sense should've watched Votto a couple of games last week and then became worried.

While seeing may be believing, the eyes often lie and it's risky to make proclamations in all caps based upon what the eyes are whispering in the ears.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

You should post those two bolded sentences into every thread on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Well what we do know is that it's not true that anyone with baseball sense should've watched Votto a couple of games last week and then became worried.

While seeing may be believing, the eyes often lie and it's risky to make proclamations in all caps based upon what the eyes are whispering in the ears.
    First, let me say that nobody is any happier to see Joey Votto swinging like Joey Votto and "driving the baseball" than me. My concern was that Votto hasn't really looked like Votto since the injury, up until the last couple of days. His swings were visibly, ugly, and he looked very confused at the plate. That's not the Joey Votto that I have been accustomed to seeing at the plate, before his knee injury. Mix that with the propensity to let things really get to him, mentally, in the past, and I was starting to have some concern.

As far as your comment about my baseball sense and "watching a couple of games last week" I would put the amount of baseball and film that I watch and have watched over my lifetime up against anyone here. My comments were not based on watching Joey Votto a couple of games last week. My eyes were not lying and what I have been seeing since last summer is nowhere close to the Joey Votto that I have watched, nearly every game, since he became a Red. Yeah, I watch a whole lot of baseball. You can throw out some lame accusation about me, but you would be wrong. And if you want to pick a fight with me, you know where I am, and on this board is not the place to do it.

17. Likes:

Chip R (04-29-2013)

I wasn't concerned about his stats. I was concerned about the way his swing has looked since last summer. It hadn't been pretty.

First, let me say that nobody is any happier to see Joey Votto swinging like Joey Votto and "driving the baseball" than me. My concern was that Votto hasn't really looked like Votto since the injury, up until the last couple of days. His swings were visibly, ugly, and he looked very confused at the plate. That's not the Joey Votto that I have been accustomed to seeing at the plate, before his knee injury. Mix that with the propensity to let things really get to him, mentally, in the past, and I was starting to have some concern.

As far as your comment about my baseball sense and "watching a couple of games last week" I would put the amount of baseball and film that I watch and have watched over my lifetime up against anyone here. My comments were not based on watching Joey Votto a couple of games last week. My eyes were not lying and what I have been seeing since last summer is nowhere close to the Joey Votto that I have watched, nearly every game, since he became a Red. Yeah, I watch a whole lot of baseball. You can throw out some lame accusation about me, but you would be wrong. And if you want to pick a fight with me, you know where I am, and on this board is not the place to do it.
    I didn't make a comment about your baseball sense but rather said it was incorrect to argue that those with baseball sense should have been worried about Votto. BTW, youre not the only one who watches games and film and your conclusion was not the only legitimate one that ouldve been reached by doing so- infact concluding Votto hasn't suddenly forgotten how to hit is very well supported by watching him hit over the last 9 months. I'm dissapointed that you're so defensive and seeing insults where none are but frankly, threats like your last sentence have zero place on this board and it's certainly not ORG worthy.

You started a thread. It's possible that some might bring it up in the future in response to strongly worded opinions much like how some like to suddenly mention Stewart. I would hope people would treat each argument on its merits but like with Stewart references some may not feel as I do.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-21-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

You forget, I know your "M/O," as do many others, and I am finished with it on this thread. If you want to go further, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 04-22-2013 at 12:16 AM.

And by the way, for anyone else's clarification, here is my quote. I didn't say that anyone with baseball sense should be worried. It was a nice try to twist my words. I said the following:

And By The Way, "ANYONE WHO HAS ANY BASEBALL SENSE COULD SEE THAT VOTTO WAS NOT HIMSELF AT THE PLATE, REGARDLESS OF YOUR STAT."
    Here is the title of the thread: Anyone else becoming concerned with Votto?

Here is the original post:

Joey Votto looks as uncomfortable and unsure at the plate as i have seen since he was a rookie. Not relaxed and really jumpy. Talking to himself constantly. Confused. Ugly, ugly swings. I may be jumping the gun, as hitters go into funks at times. I'm just concerned that it has gotten in his head, in a big way. Hopefully not a "Steve Blass" kind of way. He seems to have a propensity to let things get into his head and he has a hard time turning loose of them. I hope this is just a bump in the road and not a prolonged problem.
    It had only to do with the way Joey Votto looked at the plate and his mental state. Had nothing, zero, zilch to do with any stat. If people want to bring up this post, or if an "antagonist" wants to suggest to others that they should bring up this post and somehow hold it over my head, that's fine. Have at it. No embarrassment here. I was legitimately concerned about the cornerstone of the franchise, the length of time that it has taken him to bounce back from last year's injury, and the fact that he has really not looked like vintage Joey Votto at the plate with some uncharacteristic swings and at bats since the injury, and the time that I made the post. I think that pretty much clarifies it.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 04-22-2013 at 12:19 AM.

22. Likes:

nate1213 (04-22-2013),Vottomatic (04-22-2013),westofyou (04-22-2013),wlf WV (05-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?