Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread: 4/20 Miami vs the Reds

Re: 4/20 Miami vs the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Seriously, I don't see how they could let him walk at this rate.
    He's gonna ask for alot of money and we also gotta work in getting homer back

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It probably depends on the location of where you catch the ball. Since the ball would have to beat the runner in order to wipe out the run, it's a smart play if you're shaded toward left center. If you have to go straight back or toward the line, I still think you're better off trying to throw out the guy at home.
    That was the exact scenario that played out. He was going out towards RC to catch the ball and had ZERO chance to throw Choo out at home, even with him jogging home. His only chance was the dart to first which he did. On the replay Votto had just got back to first when the ball bounced past first base with no Marlin there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Love the play Ruggiano made on the last fly ball. Just a guy who is smart and understands the game. It did not work and probably only works 1 out of 100 but still. He has no chance to get the guy at home and instead fires a dart to first hoping the runner is thinking the game is over and doesn't get back to first. I think if it would have worked out perfect his throw would have beat Choo to the plate and the inning would have been over.

To bad his teammate playing first was not as smart and was in the dugout already.
    What the H was Votto doing? He should be PLANTED on the bag until Choo scores PERIOD!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Seriously, cut it out. Take it to a private conversation if you're going to insist.
    My apologies OGB. It was starting to heavily distract me as well.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    The Marlins rolled the dice thinking BP would hit into a double play, which is a good play. Brandon hasn't done a lot of that so far this year though.
    How about ONCE. 1 gidp for Phillips.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    What the H was Votto doing? He should be PLANTED on the bag until Choo scores PERIOD!
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    It's hard to believe someone with almost 9000 posts on a message board could have such a superiority complex. Enjoy your afternoon.
    Oh, wow, now you're resorting to insults after that impassioned speech about being mature.

I'm impressed with your restraint.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I had to leave around the fourth inning. Did Choo do anything useful today?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

It probably depends on the location of where you catch the ball. Since the ball would have to beat the runner in order to wipe out the run, it's a smart play if you're shaded toward left center. If you have to go straight back or toward the line, I still think you're better off trying to throw out the guy at home.
    In this case though, Choo was walking home. The throw to first would've easily have beaten home. But it wouldn't have mattered because Votto was paying attention and was following the throw. I thought it was a smart play as he had ZERO chance at home. Choo would've been running.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I had to leave around the fourth inning. Did Choo do anything useful today?
    Nothing. Just clogged up the bases. Scrub.

part of BBN

Choo did what Choo does.

Congratulations to Joey Votto, who passed Jay Bruce for 17th place on the Reds' all-time home run list!

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Brandon Phillips - 146
    17. Joey Votto - 135
    18. Jay Bruce - 134
    19. Dan Driessen - 133
    20. Reggie Sanders - 125
    21. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    22. Sean Casey - 118
    23. Frank McCormick - 110
    24. Dave Parker - 107
    25. Chris Sabo - 104
    26. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Calling into question a player's intelligence is excessive, especially since there's no way anyone can back up such remarks. How can you argue with "his baseball IQ is 53."
    I don't think it was excessive, just a little sarcasm. Heisey could be a genius for all we know, but IMO and many others, he has a very low "baseball IQ". It's kind of like saying someone is smart, but they're not street smart.

When you watch him play, he just does a lot of things that go against how the game was taught to so many of us. For example, a relief pitcher comes late in the game and walks the first batter wildly on 4 pitches. Guess who comes up hacking at the first pitch? I've seen that happen too many times. Put some pressure on the pitcher and make him earn a strike. I'm just surprised the coaches never seem to give him the take sign. This is just one example of the things he does that earn him a low baseball IQ in my mind.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Seriously. It's like he wasn't thinking out the situation. Even if the ball drops, he doesn't even have to get to 2nd as long as Phillips reaches 1st. It would just be a force out at 2nd and everyone else is safe.

Turn Off Ads?